Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mineral Ruth/Icy 5/28-29/2005
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 11:07 am 
I was wasted on Saturday. Not from alcohol mind you, but from the distance and route we took to do Mineral. Mike C., Dave C., Juan L. and myself started out from the Hannegan trailhead at 8:30 this past Saturday. We made good time to the pass, where we met snow and proceeded to make camp on the north arm of Ruth Mountain at 11:30. We left camp shortly and started the LONGGGGGGGG traverse under the east ridge of Ruth Mountain. Snow was soft but not above knee depth. The snow finally stopped along the ridge and we encountered mass amounts of Huckleberry bushes. Leafed out. Ugh. Not good. It took a little while to get to Chilliwack Pass, but we made it without incident. Upon arriving Chilliwack Pass, our next obstacle loomed above us which were walls interspersed with trees and brush. Which way to go? We decided going north and east around the walls might prove a better situation. So, just about 200 feet below Chilliwack Pass on the north side we traversed east. We ran into slot canyon/gully, went up the rock deteriorating slot canyon/gully about 100 feet before the waterfall, took a left and then followed a ridgeline for a little while. From higher on the ridgeline we eventually turned east over class 3 rock for about 150 feet before leaving this section and traversing up and under a rock wall. We continued traversing up going through a slippery little gully with cedar branches for belays and eventually came to another gully. This gully was "y" shaped and filled with snow. We took the left branch of the "y" and remained in snow all the way to 5680+ summit SE of Chilliwack Pass. Once we reached the north ridge of peak 5680+ the going became a lot easier. The remainder walk to the summit was easily done. Thankful I had Juan, Dave, and Mike leading as I was exhausted by this time. We reached the summit at 4:15 almost 5 hours after leaving our north arm of Ruth camp. We left at 4:30 from the summit and continued the process backwards exactly as we completed it. It still took us almost 5 hours to get back to camp. However, upon reaching camp to my surprise Mike T., the Goodmans, and the Robertsons were also camping on the north arm of Ruth. I knew they were going to do a traverse to the Baker River but I thought they were going to camp further along the route. They had water ready for us, and set up my tent. Arriving at camp after 9:00 and having water ready for us was a joyous site and by friendly folk. It was such a wonderful thing becuase I was wasted. Man was I tired. Recommedation for Mineral: DO NOT GO THE WAY WE WENT. I recommend maybe a two or even a three day trip by going down the the Chilliwack River, crossing the river at the x2841 mark and going up the north ridge to the 5680+ summit SE of Chilliwack Pass. The next morning Juan and I headed out to do the Ruth/Icy traverse while Mike and Dave did a traverse to Sefrit. Mike's report can be seen here: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10096 Many a folk have done the traverse to Icy from Ruth and I recommend it. Juan and I were fortunate enough to have followed in the footsteps of a Mountaineers group who had been there a day earlier so going was easy. No complications on the route. The Mountaineers went to the false summit (7062), whereas Juan and myself went to the true SE summit (7073). To get to the true summit you have to traverse on the south side to around the 6700 foot range on the south ridge of Icy 7073. Take the ridge basically to the summit. Class 2 max...class 3 near the very final summit section. Fay Pullen had put up a register in 2002 on this peak with only one other party signing in--they had come up the Nooksack Cirque in March of this year. James Hamaker was in that party! When we traversed back to Ruth we came across Mike T, Goodmans, Robertsons, and said our goodbyes. They were going to try Cloudcap/Seahpo. Snow and weather conditions prevented them from making the summit of that outstanding peak...but they made the traverse to the Baker River over the next two days. When Juan and I got back to our camp, we had prearranged that we would take the snowshoes from Mike T. and party back down to the Hannegan trailhead and take their car to the Cook Road exit--becuase they had a car shuttle going on with their other car at the Baker River trailhead. And that is what Juan and I did. I was surprised upon reaching the trailhead that Mike and Dave had not arrived from their trip to Sefrit, but I found out they were actually just about 1.5 hours behind us and only been held up by Ruth Creek. I was looking for Mike and Dave all the time across the valley as I was heading down the Hannegan trail.......I was not so tired this day...did I say the weather was gorgeous both days? Well, IT WAS! Stefan 5/28-29/2005

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message