Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > to TR or not to TR?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 8:36 pm 
I write TR's most of the time, especially if I think they might be helpful (i.e. snow and trail conditions) to others thinking of going there. I like to be able to read other's experiences of the places I'm planning to go, or have gone in the past. That being said, not being able to find a trip report of an area is not going to keep me from going there. There have been times I haven't felt the need to report on a place if I didn't think I had anything to add, or if I couldn't find a way to write it that didn't make me seem like a complete idiot embarassedlaugh.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostThu Jun 02, 2005 9:37 pm 
If someone goes to a place they read about in a TR (or learn about from ANY source), that they had no intention of going to prior to reading the TR, then the TR (or the other source) caused NEW impact. Doesn't matter if the place is sensitive, less used, popular or not. It is still new impact. Is that always bad? No. Because like most things, there is a ton of grey between the black and white. I TR seldom as I don't get much out of it. I'd rather post an occasion photo and let your imagination run wild. I read Signpost and Pack and Paddle for 25 years and never TRd once. I skim the TRs but mostly look at the pictures. Old habits die hard. wink.gif biggrin.gif For the I want to help others with current conditions crowd, why not just say I went to the Monte Cristo area and the snow level is at 4500' on S slopes?

Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 10:27 pm 
I think we all need to remember that our "secret"places are not really "secret". someone if not many have been there and more will follow. This entire country has been explored, walked on, climbed up, stomped on, and molested in many ways. (especially lakes ...Hello) Most of the members on this site have respect for fragile areas. They aren't going to go running out searching for your secret spot and tramp all over it. out of the hundreds on this site you might get a couple that say "wow I want to go there" It is not just the number of boots that cause harm it is frequency also. Everyone has there own agenda and are not going to run out and chase your spot down the next weekend, but they might try it next year. It is the uneducated hikers and backpackers that haven't learned that respect yet (just look at paradise, enchantments, and more). You won't find these people off the trails. If you don't want to do a TR then don't. So just remember if you think it is "secret" paranoid.gif you are mistaken.... some one else will go there too. can't we all learn to share. winksmile.gif

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek
PostThu Jun 02, 2005 10:50 pm 
I'm kinda on the other side of things... I almost never write a TR. My personal rule is that I will only write a TR about routes that are already published... on Green Trails, etc. And like someone said... with this criteria, there is rarely need for a report since there are usually many. The exception might be early season... just to let folks know about conditions. However... while these are the rules that I live by (for today @ least), I'm certainly happy to read about other people's secret routes. If I'm eyeing a route on a map and wondering about the feasibility... I always search here and WTA to see who has already done it. Some of you have gotten my emails badgering you with questions about your routes. Hope this admittance won't keep ya'll from indulging my questions....

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done. - Justice Louis Brandeis
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 9:11 am 
I am a peakbagger. I will never go back to the same peak twice. Heck, I won't even go to the same lake twice. There is so much to see and so little time in my life to see as many different places. So if I write a trip report on a "sensitive" place, I really don't care because I will never go back to see how it has changed.

Art is an adventure.
Karen

Karen
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 10:10 am 
I mostly read trail reports to find out current conditions or driving information. I find myself writing fewer trail reports these days mostly because the places I've been hiking have aleady been pretty well covered or .... shouldn't be. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 4:05 pm 
I rarely write trip reports anyway, but my rule is to never write a TR to an off trail destination. I don't want to contribute to any degradation in any way and I think some places should be left for people to find their own way. That's how I chose the destination for our week long trip last year. I found some areas that looked interesting and went to the one where I could find no trip reports. Like Stefan, I rarely go back to the same place twice, but I find his attitude very disturbing that he doesn't care what impacts are caused by his activities just because he's never going back. I don't understand at all how that follows.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 4:36 pm 
Tazz & Mania wrote:
I think we all need to remember that our "secret"places are not really "secret". someone if not many have been there and more will follow. This entire country has been explored, walked on, climbed up, stomped on, and molested in many ways. (especially lakes ...Hello) Most of the members on this site have respect for fragile areas. They aren't going to go running out searching for your secret spot and tramp all over it. out of the hundreds on this site you might get a couple that say "wow I want to go there" It is not just the number of boots that cause harm it is frequency also. Everyone has there own agenda and are not going to run out and chase your spot down the next weekend, but they might try it next year. It is the uneducated hikers and backpackers that haven't learned that respect yet (just look at paradise, enchantments, and more). You won't find these people off the trails. If you don't want to do a TR then don't. So just remember if you think it is "secret" paranoid.gif you are mistaken.... some one else will go there too. can't we all learn to share. winksmile.gif
you absolutely nailed it there Tazz! All this talk about secret this's and thats is just silly, I mean that might work if there was no such thing as a map or guidebook hmmm.gif I don't want a favorite place that I have been to overrun with folks, but on the flip side I have probably been to someone else's great place.And most posts average,what, 200 views? out of them how many people will go there? And most of the folks on this forum probably know about it anyway or have been there already, in this information age there is no keeping secrets.< Now with that being said, anyone know of any great,scenic,offtrail and unpopulated places they want to recommend? biggrin.gif

Ebrace life!
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 4:45 pm 
Quote:
can't we all learn to share
Quote:
I mean that might work if there was no such thing as a map or guidebook
Just to clarify: What we're talking about is places that have no system trail to them, and are therefore not listed in books. I'm sure if you've visited some of these places, you know they can be markedly different in character to places that see regular visitation.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 5:05 pm 
I use the same philosophy as ML. Lakes on the system I'll TR, lakes off of it I don't. Since I am pretty much a lake-centric hiker, that covers it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 5:08 pm 
Quote:
I don't want a favorite place that I have been to overrun with folks, but on the flip side I have probably been to someone else's great place
That's the beauty of dispersed and random visitation of someone else's "great place". You got there, you enjoyed it, and the next person that finds it due to personal interest will find it wether you list it or not. If you don't, visitation will remain random, if you do, you'll focus use on it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 5:11 pm 
Alright, I probably should not have interjected my opinion here, the only point I was trying to make is that they all are on the map,on trail or not. And sure, keeping those places off the radar probably help keep the traffic down. Myself, I base my plans only on my own list, and use t.r solely for condition purposes, but I can see that others consider them more as recommendations and will shy away from posting off trail reports in the future smile.gif

Ebrace life!
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 5:12 pm 
Quote:
So just remember if you think it is "secret" you are mistaken.... some one else will go there too.
That a place is there is no secret certainly, what the conditions are on the ground, the quality of the site and scenery and general cool factor are all things gained by someones personal experience however. I'd never dream of claiming a really sweet fishing lake is a "secret" per se, since it will be on maps....but the conditions there not shown on the map may well be a very closely guarded info. Once it's on the 'net, it's there forever, and every word written means you're responsible for the impacts you may generate by it, IMHO.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 5:14 pm 
Hichen wrote:
Alright, I probably should not have interjected my opinion here, the only point I was trying to make is that they all are on the map,on trail or not. And sure, keeping those places off the radar probably help keep the traffic down. Myself, I base my plans only on my own list, and use t.r solely for condition purposes, but I can see that others consider them more as recommendations and will shy away from posting off trail reports in the future smile.gif
For myself I'd like to say that my intent in this thread is not to browbeat people about what they report (well... tongue.gif ), but to elucidate on what I've decided after a few years of seeing how the 'net impacts hiking spots, and make a case for careful consideration of the impacts of TR's.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 5:19 pm 
Quote:
Alright, I probably should not have interjected my opinion here
Why not?
Quote:
I can see that others consider them more as recommendations and will shy away from posting off trail reports in the future
Let your conscience guide you, not a set of rules, or peer pressure. That's my philosophy.