Forum Index > Gear Talk > Hydration systems
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

PostSun Mar 10, 2002 11:17 am 
A few years back I bought a new pack that had a internal sleeve for a 2 liter hydration system. Bought a Platypus with the big zip lock opening. Eventually it started failing. Took it back. Got new one. It failed. Recently bought same brand but with out the big lock opening. Only opening is the fitting where tube goes in. Two questions. One, how do you dry out the inside of this type? Two, there another hydration system anyone would recommend that would fit a 2 liter sleeve. thanks,

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Mar 10, 2002 2:26 pm 
Pappy, just wondering where your's failed. Was it in the zip opening? If so, that's probably a good reason to go with the non-zip. I never use my zip opening so if mine fails I will probably go with a non-zip. I don't necessarily let mine dry out. Is there any reason to? I only put clean water it so I figure it's not going to go bad. I do rinse it out when filling it up at home (just in case). I've only dried mine out once so I could weigh it.

PostSun Mar 10, 2002 4:12 pm 
Yep, leaks from the zip-lock. Seemed like the newer one was better designed. but it leaked too. I was concerned with mold growing in it. I have a big water bottle I use for working out and never paid much attention when I filled it. Looked in one day and there was black crap growing on the walls. Seemed like that could happend with one of these sealed systems?

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Mar 10, 2002 4:22 pm 
The best way I have found to dry out the inside is to put either a small cloth or paper towel inside to keep the plastic bag open. In the summer I then leave it out on the patio table in the hot sun and moisture quickly leaves. I only use this hydration system in the summer months.

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Mar 14, 2002 9:40 am 
Pappy, I use a 2 liter Blackburn Hydrasack. It is in the cycling section of REI. The plastic is tougher than the platypus and has never failed on me once. I have had mine for three years. It does not have a ziplock top but a rolled up sleeve just like when roll up bags for whitewhater rafting. And here is the kicker--it is lighter than a platypus!

Art is an adventure.
catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Mar 14, 2002 9:58 am 
I have a blackburn and I also have I think a couple platypus and I'm most pleased with my blackburn. The plastic is softer and more flexible (firmer plastic of platypus makes me think it'll crack at some point) yet seems more durable, and LOOOOOVE the type of mouthpiece way better than the bite valve that platypus uses. The other thing is it's a big wide and better cap and you don't put it in the pack upside down, like with platypus, which will keep most of the water in the bladder even if the cap comes off or something. My cap has come off my platypus before (it's design doesn't screw on very far so easy to come open) and all water came out in my pack. I have no idea what you guys are talking about with some ziplock thing. But I can't imagine a ziplock type of bladder being very dependable.

PostThu Mar 14, 2002 10:11 am 
Thanks. I'll be getting a Blackburn. The ziplock is like that on a ziplock bag, only real thick and heavy duty. It's on the end opposite the tube. Purpose I think is to be able to open it up to clean and dry it. I have filled the platypus, zipped it closed, put it on the floor and stood on it and it holds. Next morning I pull it out of the fridge and there is a puddle where it leaks out of the ziplock. :angry: Hydration systems are one of those relatively new things like trekking poles that I'm completely sold on. But I need a better one. Thanks again.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Mar 14, 2002 11:01 am 
FYI, I think the intended purpose of the zip is to be able to put larger items in like ice cubes.

catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Mar 14, 2002 12:40 pm 
That's another thing about the Blackburn. The opening/cap area is bigger than the Platypus. I can get my ice cubes (the shape that a fridge with an auto ice-maker makes) in there easy! I've also seen those kinds of ice cube trays where they make long and narrow ice cubes for that purpose. As for cleaning, I just cleaned mine for the first time a couple months ago. Oh my God! They were nasty! (Imagine years of never being cleaned. redface.gif ) But I got one of those special bladder cleaning systems from REI for the hose and I got a bottle type cleaning brush for a couple bucks from the grocery store for the bladder.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Mar 14, 2002 11:02 pm 
Hmmm... I'll have to check out the Blackburn when my non-zip Platypus fails. I only put water in the platypus. When I get back from a trip I empty it, refill it with chlorinated tap water and squeeze out all the air. So far nothing visible is growing in there.

catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Mar 15, 2002 10:43 am 
I've also only ever put water in my bladder. And always filtered water! But after a few years or so - ick! Now they're once again spic and span! agree.gif

PostThu May 16, 2002 7:30 am 
Looks like Blackburn went out of business. Been to REI, Greg's Cycle, etc. Any other brands other than Platypus and Camelback that are any good?

janders

janders
PostThu May 16, 2002 9:56 am 
Do you have a specific aversion to Camelbak? That's the bladder I use and have always liked it. Fairly wide opening (can fit ice cubes) and a bite valve that never leaks.

"Oh dang!" - Captain Amazing
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri May 17, 2002 10:20 am 
Where are you people getting ice cubes in the wilderness?? cool.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri May 17, 2002 11:08 am 
Actually, I thought it was a useless feature until I got more into snow hiking. The wide zip top sure makes it a whole lot easier to put snow in your hydration pack.