Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Are there any 'balanced' environmental news sources?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 11:37 am 
pianodirt wrote:
The Trust for Public Land is different breed of conservation. They do mainly one thing and do it very well...buying up land in need of protection. They also seem to be devoid of fear-mongering...the TPL doesn't really bother with politics. I suspect the political diversity of TPL supporters is much greater than most other conservation groups.
Pianodirt's comments in the Trust for Public Land thread got me thinking, particularly after re-reading the EMS press release in the national parks thread and comparing it to the actual comments made by the NPS director. Are there any sources of environmental news that are (relatively) free of fear mongering and politics? I realize that's a tall order given the incentives of these environmental groups to act as watchdogs. But at times I wish I could find more info on the real issues, without having to wade thru all the bullsh##.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 11:49 am 
I doubt it because if there is ever one the lobbists will make sure it does not last long. Most everyone has an agenda, corporations want to make a profit, environmental organizations want to attract donations etc. Best option is to hear both sides and reach a conclusion. Just remember that the major news organs are all owned by big corporations also.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 12:10 pm 
Here's a source I check now and again. It has mostly news for the Intermountain West, but sometimes there's news relevant to the Northwest. Headwaters News

Let me stand next to your fire
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jun 03, 2005 12:37 pm 
Given what enviro non-profits are fighting against, I'd be a little surprised if you found a lot of "moderate" enviro groups. Good luck, I'd be interested to see wha tturns up.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
mike

mike
PostSun Jun 12, 2005 11:53 am 
Tom, I subscribe to High Country News. It covers western environmental issues in a mostly neutral way. The editorial slant is pro environmental however. As with any fish wrapper one must take it with a grain of salt. Overall I find it pretty good. HCN is mostly supported by subscribers and gifts so there is no advertiser bias. In fact the research fund supports in depth articles about western issues seldom found in other media. Give it a read. edit: The current issue of HCN has an in depth article about the pros and cons of conservation easements. You may or may not be surprised about the tax issues. edit edit: Free issues available, check link or PM me and I'll get you one.

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostSun Jun 12, 2005 2:40 pm 
Yeah Fox News, fair and balanced reporting (at least they once used that label) found between the missing teenager in Aruba and Micheal Jackson coverage. up.gif

Dale

Dale
PostSun Jun 12, 2005 10:54 pm 
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Jun 13, 2005 7:02 am 
Tom wrote:
Are there any sources of environmental news that are (relatively) free of fear mongering and politics?
I've always trusted LNN (Lagerman News Network).

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
paul

paul
PostTue Jun 14, 2005 9:47 am 
A local group. Balanced with humor (now THAT'S different). http://www.grist.org/