Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Kittens coming
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Jun 16, 2005 9:17 am 
Quote:
A couple of questions: if Mom cat runs away when I go in on Sunday, should I leave the food for Mom anyway? Should it be baby food, something the little ones might eat too or Mom's regular food? Should I handle the kittens if Mom runs away or wait a few days until I am in her prescence? My one concern about leaving food in the garage is that it might attract other critters though I am certain the hidey hole is way too small for racoons (racoons have been seen in this neighborhood).
If she runs sit down with the food and call her or talk to her. She won't go far away from the kittens. Be patient she will probably work her way back to you. use canned food to treat her when you are in there. The kittens won't eat solids until 5wks or so. I would wait until she is present to handle them. I think she will be more comfortable that way. but then again she recognizes your scent and trusts you. I don't think she will be ok with it but go slow give her the chance to check out the situation. If it goes beyond a week handle them whether she is there or not. another thing you could try before Sunday is put her food and water in the garage so she will get used to eating in there before you sit with the food. I hope this helps. wink.gif good luck

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Karen

Karen
PostSun Jun 19, 2005 1:09 pm 
They aren't in there!!!!
Tazz and Mania, The kittens are NOT in the garage. Mom is coming around for food and I wrongly assumed her kittens were in there because she was going in and out of the hidey hole. It looks like she has only gone in to use a litter box I have in there. I looked everywhere for them. Where would be the next best place for me to look for the kittens? There are two abandoned cars right next door close to my fenceline but they are on private property. I know that some of the feral cats have used those cars as shelters at times because I have seen them come and go. Whether or not they go INTO the cars, I can't tell because I am hestiant to venture over there -- the neighbors are not real friendly and I've seen the police over there. Across the street is a large greenbelt between my street and the PUD and that extends for about 4-5 blocks. Could the kittens be in that jungle somewhere? Where do you think Mom would feel safest with her kittens, assuming she has any? In the abandoned cars near the house here or across the street in the greenbelt?? Could it be that she didn't have kittens or that they died? When she rolls over on her back I try to look for signs of nursing but am not certain what to look for. No rush to answer this, I am not going anywhere for a few days other than work and neither is Mom cat. She comes in the morning and at dusk and sometimes during the day to eat and to get petted. I leave out fresh water every day. Thank you for all your advice but I never dreamed they wouldn't be in the garage. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Karen

Karen
PostSun Jun 19, 2005 1:12 pm 
A bit more info
She DID have kittens, I could see how pregnant she was. She looked like a blimp for about a month and then was skinny overnight and was obviously doing a lot of grooming. Karen

Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Jun 20, 2005 10:36 am 
HMMMM! you should be able to tell if she is nursing.

Karen

Karen
PostMon Jun 20, 2005 11:46 am 
How do I tell for sure she is nursing? I can feel under her tummy but she has long hair and I can feel nubbins (nipples) but don't know how large/swollen they should be. Do you know?? Thanks, Tazz and Mania