Forum Index > Trail Talk > ACCESS to BAKER DAM Closed
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostSun Sep 15, 2002 10:46 am 
Just wanted to leave a quick note to other hikers about access to the Baker Dam road. We made it up there at 8:00am yesterday (Saturday) for one of our annual hikes into the Watson-Anderson Lakes, but were turned around at the entrance to the Baker dam by a security guard. Access to the dam (foot traffic and automobiles) is closed until further notice due to the Orange Alert we are on because of Sept. 11th. This all began, apparently, on Wednesday. Anyway, your SOL if you want to get to the Watson-Anderson trailhead (and others). I wouldn't be surprised if other dams, watersheds, etc., are closed until further notice. The access to Spada Lake res was closed from last years Sept. 11th until this past June, and it may be closed, too (which includes access to the Greider Lakes and other hikes. Do yourself a favor and call ahead before you wind up at some place only to find that it's off limits. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostSun Sep 15, 2002 12:07 pm 
i know they opened up the rd. to go around and down to Spada Lake on the south side. But as far as i know they have never opened up the rd. to the dam since the Sept. 11, last year. Ice Girl

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 8:05 am 
Wow-that's an aspect of the attack and the alerts that I hadn't considered. I remember being camped up on the Turnpike side of Long's Pass last year for the high hunt and actually missing the sound of the seeming interminable number of jets that fly over the Teanaway. I was actually thankful to hear/see a few on Sunday- a sign that things were getting a little back to normal. Did you all improvise and go to another place?

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 9:10 pm 
Talk about bad manners! Why didn't they put a sign at the Hwy. 20 turnoff to Baker Lake? We were lucky. We happened to stop at the ranger station (after we found the relocated, practically unsigned ranger station) and got the news. I noticed no sign when we went by the turn-off. At our alternative location, we ran into another party that had driven all the way to the dam before they got the news.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Sep 17, 2002 3:26 pm 
ajgoodkids wrote:
Talk about bad manners! Why didn't they put a sign at the Hwy. 20 turnoff to Baker Lake?
It's the government. They don't think that far ahead.

Art is an adventure.
REJ

REJ
PostWed Sep 18, 2002 7:38 am 
Government?! I believe Puget Sound Energy "owns" and controls the top of Baker Dam. Most of the blame goes to the private sector this time.

ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostWed Sep 18, 2002 8:30 am 
Puget Sound Energy, huh. Figures. Thanks. I called and gave them a sermon on basic etiquette. Maybe they'll put up a sign at the Hwy 20 turn-off.

ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostWed Sep 18, 2002 2:31 pm 
I just talked with Puget Sound Energy. As long as there is an Federal Orange Alert, which is of unknown duration, no one drives or walks across that dam, not even the Forest Service.

salish

salish
PostWed Sep 18, 2002 3:02 pm 
Thanks for calling them and letting us know....

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.