Forum Index > Trail Talk > So when's that rain social?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 9:37 am 
There's been some talk about having another rain social in some other threads. When/where should we have it?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 10:16 am 
I say we play it by ear and watch for weekeend that looks soggy. I thought Keechelus Ridge was a great spot last year due to the <1 hour drive for most folks.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 10:37 am 
As long as I don't take a wrong turn again and end up trying to do another u-turn on a 10 foot wide cliff in BFE. dizzy.gif

catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 10:40 am 
The place last year was kinda trashy and dumpy. Perhaps some place a little more pleasing to the eye?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 10:57 am 
I was at the second social last year and got there after sundown (so didn't see any trash). MtnGoat, was that the same location as the social Catwoman attended?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 11:04 am 
yup. I don't mind the site because it's pros outweigh the cons IMO. It's very close, easy to find (for most eek.gif ) and has good cover. By the time you balance all the competing interests in terms of drive time, findability, space, and all vehicle access, the selection narrows considerably. There are prettier sites, but they are either farther away, or on worse roads. If you wish farther, harder to find, or if we decide make it high clearance only, there are many better sites.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 12:56 pm 
There's an awful lot of forest around here, I'd imagine there's lots to choose from. And, I'm not sure the reason to make it so "close". For instance, there's lots of great looking camping areas along the Teannaway. If I recall, there are also some nice looking camping areas along the road from North Bend that goes to the trail for (shoot, I can't remember the name, but I did some trail work on it this year) is it Bear Mtn?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 1:25 pm 
you are more than welcome to do all the prowling required for sucessfully getting many people to the same place at the same time. it is actually more difficult than it appears.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 1:47 pm 
Hmm, Bear Mtn? I really don't want to drive 20+ miles of logging road for an evening social. Give me 70+ mph freeway, then a hop, skip, and a jump. Heck, I'll show up a little early with a couple of garbage bags if that's the issue. Remember, it's going to be dark and rainy suuure.gif.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 1:55 pm 
Since this willl probably occur during the fall, I will more than likely be out taking fall photos that weekend. If it's too far away I will either show up really late or not at all. The last place was fine with me.

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 2:09 pm 
The place doesn't matter that much to me. Just pick a spot and whoever shows.....shows. Works for me. BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 2:17 pm 
Bear Mtn is 20 miles up the Beckler Road near Jack's Pass. Bare Mtn is 20 miles up the North Fork Snoqualmie Road. But both are still too far. Activities might include a spelling bee. Winner would get a 6-pack of Raineer Beer.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 2:30 pm 
I hear ya BW. I'll travel to just about anywhere to see some cool folks I only get to see a few times a year. Storytellin', talkin about a summer's worth of trips and the general goof-off-ish-ness is worth it IMO.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 2:34 pm 
LOL Mike, you sure those driving distances are correct? Just kidding. lol.gif

catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Sep 16, 2002 5:22 pm 
First of all, I did not say AT the Bear Mtn trailhead! I said somewhere along that road! For an overnight trip I didn't think it was all that far. Same with the Teannaway. Second of all, I thought it was an overnight camping trip, like before, so we can partake in the outdoorsy stuff we all so enjoy. I didn't realize you folks were planning just an evening thing. Third, if it was a somewhat pleasant place, then McCaver could do some photography in the vicinity. Fourth, don't you guys like to see something NEW?! Geeze! With all of the beautiful forests we've got, I'm amazed you'd want to go to the same ol' dumpy place, time after time. But fifth, go ahead and have it where it was. I'll probably be busy anyway.