Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tk-421
Dead Weight

tk-421
Dead Weight
PostFri Sep 20, 2002 7:13 am 
Newbie Newt wrote:
How do you manage all the waypoints, tracks and routes?
I keep the waypoints hidden and erase my track after I'm done with it. On the SporTrak Pro, from the map screen, hit Menu and then Clear Track. It will warn you that the Backtrack feature will be terminated, but that is what you want to do.
Newbie Newt wrote:
Do you download and delete them from the gps and generate new each time??
Not since I found how to "hide" waypoints unless they are being used as part of a route. From the map screen, hit Menu, Map Setup, Display, uncheck Waypoints. This will leave your track display on but hide waypoints. You can also turn off the track display here, if you want and leave it in memory.[/b]

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Oct 11, 2002 1:30 pm 
Seeing as winter is approaching. I saw at Costco that they have this model with a case automount cable and CD of maps for $289 with a $50 rebate.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Dante

Dante
PostTue Oct 29, 2002 6:11 pm 
I just got a deal on a used Thommen Classic altimeter (no batteries or buttons cool.gif ). I'll probably end up with a GPS someday, but I'll stay low tech for the time being . . .

Dante

Dante
PostSat Dec 07, 2002 3:02 pm 
Meridian Platinum Does *NOT* Have A Barometric Altimeter
Someone told me the Meridian Platinum does not have a Barometric Altimeter. I tried to prove him wrong, but failed frown.gif GPS Central says "Barometric pressure is used in GARMIN's eTrex Summit, eTrex Vista, and GPSMAP 76S to provide altitude information. In the Magellan Platinum, the barometer is used to give barometric pressure readings" LINK Joe Mehaffey says "the barometer functions as a REAL barometer and is not simply used for altitude smoothing and readout as in VISTA.) HERE. But HERE he says "The relationship of the barometer to the GPS altitude isn't known at this time. However, the barometer readings don't increase with altitude decreases (and vice versa) as the Garmin Vista (incorrectly) does." The Meridian Platinum is being incorrectly advertised as having a "barometric altimeter" by many (if not most) vendors If I get a GPS I might as well get a SporTrak Pro and carry my mechanical altimeter (I'll be carrying a compass in any case).

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Dec 08, 2002 1:35 am 
Hey Dante, here's an awesome GPS deal for you. You can get almost any GPS for roughly 40% off! For example, the SporTrak Pro and topo lines can be had for $178 shipped / no sales tax! Here's how: 1) Sign up for MSN wallet. This gets you 20% back in MSN dollars on purchases from thesportsauthority.com (not to mention other stores like campmor.com). 2) Go to thesportsauthority.com and add the Magellan SporTrak Pro and MapSend TOPO CD-ROM to your cart (you need to buy both to get the $50 Magellan rebate). 3) Check out with MSN Wallet (gets you 20% back). 4) At checkout enter coupon code 25OFF for 25% off (hurry, expires Sunday 12/8). $178 = $270 (SporTrak Pro) + $100 (Topo Lines) - $92.50 (25% off) + $6 (shipping) - $55.50 (20% back in MSN Dollars) - $50 (Magellan Rebate) Similar deals can be had on other GPS units (or anything else thesportsauthority.com sells). Don't look a gift horse in the mouth if you are looking for a GPS wink.gif.

Dean

Dean
PostMon Dec 09, 2002 10:24 am 
Tom, that was a great deal, too bad I missed it waah.gif If you stumble across another such great offering, please post it. Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Dante

Dante
PostMon Dec 09, 2002 11:22 am 
frown.gif I missed it too. Oh well, I think my wife already bought me a GPS for Christmas anyway . . .

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostFri Dec 13, 2002 1:15 pm 
I went to Costco this a.m. and lo and behold, what to my wondering eyes should appear? A complete Sport Trak pro Pak, complete with GPS, Map Send (streets & destinations USA software) CD, vehicle mounting bracket, power cable for car, belt clip carrying case. Cost: $289 and then they have a $100 rebate deal. My wife was thrilled that I was thrilled with the price so she got it for me for Christmas. How do I know she got it for me? I stuck it in her cart biggrin.gif Life is good. Hmmm, now what's next on my list....... rolleyes.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Dec 13, 2002 2:03 pm 
Hmm, $25+ in sales tax. Too bad it doesn't come with the Map Send topo lines. That will eat up the remaining portion of the $100 rebate (I'll have to check my license agreement to see if one is allowed to upload topo lines to more than one unit wink.gif. If you don't plan to get the topo lines then there's no real reason to get the Pro (or the other accessories unless you plan to use the GPS in your car). If you just want the GPS for hiking, a duty free shop like gpsonsale.com could potentially be a cheaper route for the MapSend Pro and Topo Lines at ~$250 after $50 rebate.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Dec 13, 2002 3:57 pm 
Tom... You have mentioned Map Send topo lines a number of times. Is it the same as MapSend Topo in the US? I'm not sure what you are refering to. Magellan MapSend Topo in the US Thanks, NN confused.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostFri Dec 13, 2002 4:02 pm 
Indeed, I'd prefer the Mapsend Topo lines but my wife was relieved to get me dealt with. I saw the name mapsend but didn't notice it wasn't the topo lines CD until I got home. My thinking then became, "if I don't open the CD, I might be able to exchange the one for the other" I'm not about to tell her to take it back but since we do a lot of highway stuff in other states and I'm into chasing county highpoints, it'll work out. The earlier deal you found last week was the best one I've seen. However, if a better deal is out there, Costco is easy to deal with on returns. tongue.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Dec 13, 2002 4:24 pm 
Newbie Newt wrote:
Tom... You have mentioned Map Send topo lines a number of times. Is it the same as MapSend Topo in the US? I'm not sure what you are refering to. Magellan MapSend Topo in the US Thanks, NN confused.gif
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the same thing I'm talking about. Basically you need it to upload topo lines and other hiking related points of interest to your GPS. The software is pretty much worthless for anything else (it doesn't come close to replacing Topo! or similar detailed mapping software). http://www.gpsonsale.com/software/products/980611.htm

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Dec 13, 2002 4:34 pm 
Same stuff. Thanks for the info. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Feb 21, 2003 8:11 am 
SporTrak Regions
When trying to upload 5-6 reagions from Map Send I get a message that SproTrak will only allow 4 regions. Is there a way around this or just make bigger ones? Thanks NN confused.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 21, 2003 11:49 am 
Not sure. I just upload the entire state as one region.