Forum Index > Trail Talk > topo maps and PDA's
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikermike

hikermike
PostTue Jun 14, 2005 7:14 pm 
Does anyone have experience with using their PDA's to download and display topo maps? Does it work, i.e., are the maps readable-usable? I'm thinking of getting one with a screen of 640x480 but the one's with GPS are mostly 320x240. If you have one of those, does the GPS actually interacts with the screen display. Frankly, I've always loved the comfort of having a topo in hand but others around me are pushing. Any ideas? thanks for any replies.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sds357

sds357
PostTue Jun 14, 2005 8:13 pm 
Check out http://maptech.com/products/outdoornavigator/index.cfm It looks like a pretty neat product for under 20 bucks including map downloads, works on Palm, Pocket PC and laptops.

Anatase
hats.com

Anatase
hats.com
PostTue Jun 14, 2005 9:31 pm 
I prefer 320x240 over 640x480 at this time. The Dell Axim x50v supports a 640x480 resolution in the same screen real estate. However, its only on a per application basis. I’m looking forward to more vendor support of the vga drivers vs current emulation issues. Since the current software applications are not fully taking advantage of the hardware capabilities, you may be disappointed in the short term. I have a Dell x5 and use a bluetooth card (the x50v has this built in) to connect to a bluetooth GPS. I don’t have any topo maps installed, but I've been looking into them. I run other mapping software such as Microsoft Pocket Streets and Trips, i-Guidance, and a few other Map apps. These are all great quality, easy to use, and readable in 320x240. My GPS works well with the i-Guidance screen display. It is mostly dependent on the software if the GPS is going to interact well. Make sure the Topo app states it is GPS capable – not all software has the right licensing to support GPS. I love technology but in the case of hiking I also prefer to rely on old fashioned paper and a Brunton as my backup. It never runs out of batteries, simple plastic will protect it, it will still work if it is too hot, too cold, or too cloudy. rock, scissors, PAPER! wink.gif

upper jurassic you peice of schist, have a gneiss day
hikermike

hikermike
PostTue Jun 14, 2005 10:03 pm 
Thanx for the help!