Forum Index > Trail Talk > Aircraft Crash Site?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Jan 02, 2011 6:39 pm 
Just found an airplane crash site on Chuckanut Mtn. PM me if you are interested in the location.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 02, 2011 6:46 pm 
There is a Piper Tri Pacer on its back 50 feet down in Otter lake. There is a plance crash site on the way to Overcoat lake in the ALW. There is a BT13 crash site near Boner lake.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Lotus54

Lotus54
PostSun Jan 02, 2011 6:51 pm 
Up near Cyrstal lake ONP, I've found stuff myself. Here is a pic of a Heli I was on quite a few hours, and is still on MORA, in a glacier.
Too bad also, that was a sweet machine. Mark

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Jan 02, 2011 6:55 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
I think you have it right. The search party went up there and placed the bodies in a crevasse for protection. Then retreated for whatever reason, probably weather. When they went back in day or two an animal had gotten there first.
This is the first time I've seen this thread. I participated in the recovery of this crash over that summer. The plane parts and much of the remains were buried in snow during the crash which made complete recovery impossible shortly after the incident. Over the summer it gradually melted out and some climbers, coming across exposed remains, dumped them into a crevasse. They were charged by the Sheriff with tampering with human remains and we had to go up and recover those from the crevasse.

BillyTheMountain

BillyTheMountain
PostSun Jan 02, 2011 7:06 pm 
I found a small airplane crash on the eastern shoulder of Granite Mountain near Snoqualime Pass. You could easily tell where the plane came down through the tree canopy as there was a hole in it and then ripped branches down to the wreck. It was very weird because the plane was on a steep sidehill spread out some and it was just a bunch of shredded aluminum however, there was the double seat intact and down the hill a bit from the wreck. That was around 1994. To find it go to the Denny Creek road and go past the first house on the right and look for a culvert on the left that goes UNDER Interstate 90. Go through it! curve to the right then UP. Stay on the "trail" and you should find it after about an hour of climbing. The plane wreck is just below the treeline. BillyTheMountain

We are all brothers in the mountains. Psalm 113
Criminal

Criminal
PostSun Jan 02, 2011 7:06 pm 
DuckDuckGoose wrote:
This is a pretty good site for a site in ONP: http://www.peak.org/~mikey/746.htm DDG
Well, that's not in the ONP. A C-141 hit the side of Mt Olympus in the park killing all aboard, but I don't remember when. Back when I was an FE on the C-141B I tried to find some information about the crash but nobody was talking. Unlike the crash in Tull's Canyon, the Park demanded the USAF remove all of the wreckage.

Because I am mad about women, I am mad about the hills Said that wild old wicked man, who travels where God wills. - Yeats topohiker.com
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 02, 2011 7:29 pm 
Lotus54 wrote:
Up near Cyrstal lake ONP, I've found stuff myself. Here is a pic of a Heli I was on quite a few hours, and is still on MORA, in a glacier.
Too bad also, that was a sweet machine. Mark
No offense Lotus, but in the Army we called Bell 206's DEATH Rangers. There is nothing sweet about that design! LOL

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Jan 02, 2011 7:34 pm 
Ski the Bomber Chutes ski run on Mission ridge and you will pass right over the top of the wreckage of a B-24 Liberator including all four big radial engines.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Jan 02, 2011 8:27 pm 
Criminal wrote:
A C-141 hit the side of Mt Olympus in the park killing all aboard, but I don't remember when. Back when I was an FE on the C-141B I tried to find some information about the crash but nobody was talking. Unlike the crash in Tull's Canyon, the Park demanded the USAF remove all of the wreckage.
That was in 1977 - on Warrior Peak. Another thread here on that & other crashes. I was in the first team on that scene.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jan 02, 2011 9:27 pm 
BillyTheMountain wrote:
I found a small airplane crash on the eastern shoulder of Granite Mountain near Snoqualime Pass. You could easily tell where the plane came down through the tree canopy as there was a hole in it and then ripped branches down to the wreck. It was very weird because the plane was on a steep sidehill spread out some and it was just a bunch of shredded aluminum however, there was the double seat intact and down the hill a bit from the wreck. That was around 1994. To find it go to the Denny Creek road and go past the first house on the right and look for a culvert on the left that goes UNDER Interstate 90. Go through it! curve to the right then UP. Stay on the "trail" and you should find it after about an hour of climbing. The plane wreck is just below the treeline. BillyTheMountain
Thanks for that information. I will check my archives but I believe there was another crash up there in 1999. It was westbound through snoqualmie pass in heavy fog with no instruments.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jan 02, 2011 9:27 pm 
Where the hell is the NTSB crash database? I used to have a link.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Jan 02, 2011 9:31 pm 
Lotus54

Lotus54
PostSun Jan 02, 2011 9:48 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
No offense Lotus, but in the Army we called Bell 206's DEATH Rangers. There is nothing sweet about that design! LOL
Not in a crash, that is for certain! The one we use often I like the best is the 530F. Loads of power, very maneuverable and good in a crash (500/369 airframe). Uses lots of fuel though, that is something nice about a JetRanger, we don't have to keep going back for fuel... Of course, they all have problems. That one disappeared in a crevasse before recovery could happen.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 02, 2011 10:09 pm 
Lotus54 wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Not in a crash, that is for certain! The one we use often I like the best is the 530FF. Loads of power, very maneuverable and good in a crash (500 airframe). Uses lots of fuel though, that is something nice about a JetRanger, we don't have to keep going back for fuel... Of course, they all have problems. That one disappeared in a crevasse before recovery could happen.
I was in an aviation unit with W3 and W4 warrant officers who served in Vietnam. Many of them told me stories of their friends dieing in OH58's. They told me how in a crash nearly everyone died in 58's and how nearly everyone survived in OH-6 Cayuse's. Hughes had the scout contract and sent OH6's to Vietnam until Lady Bird Johnson (who's family owned Bell textron) started sending 58's over. Nobody liked them. down.gif Politics getting people killed again.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Jan 02, 2011 10:40 pm 
I failed to mention that I found a door, an aileron, and a few other parts on Chuckanut. Not an entire airplane. A search on that crash database didn't come up with anything using Chuckanut and Washington state.