Forum Index > Trail Talk > Aircraft Crash Site?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Jan 02, 2011 10:55 pm 
RB, That was this one in 1975. (Beech G35, 4 fatalities)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Jan 02, 2011 11:29 pm 
Wow, the parts didn't look 35 years old... but maybe they were! They put good finishes on airplane parts.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 03, 2011 12:12 pm 
There's aircraft wreckage a few hundred meters up-valley from the SR20 hairpin E of Washington Pass, i.e., near the end of the Birthday Tour/climber's access to Kangaroo Ridge. Word was that a military helicopter was in the middle of Chetwoot Lake for several years before the military plucked it out. We've seen the military helicopter wreckage W of Perfect Pass, mentioned by Mal. cascadetraverser's friend was nearby when it went down

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jan 03, 2011 12:20 pm 
Wow, a CH47 in Chetwoot. That's a large aircraft. I wonder what happened?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 03, 2011 12:36 pm 
On second thought, maybe it wasn't a Chinook. Maybe it was. I don't know the details, but I've talked to two old-timers, both ex-military guys, who saw it.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jan 03, 2011 12:56 pm 
It was a Navy Chinook from Oak Harbor that crashed at Perfect Pass around 1980. They were trying to rescue a climber on Challenger and lost visibility & crashed into a wall. One survivor. (it was not an illegal sightseeing tour, as Mal mentioned on the first part of this thread)

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 03, 2011 1:06 pm 
Yeah, that sounds right. In 2003, we walked past a big ass wheel and landing gear components between just W of Perfect Pass. Eerie. So I might have been confusing things. I've heard numerous reports re the military heli in Chetwoot, but it may not have been a Chinook.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Jan 03, 2011 3:32 pm 
hikerjo wrote:
Does anyone know of any airplane crash sites in Washington State?
McCord Field try. One days roadtrip away in Idaho. Scary, nice story. The FS has more info: http://www.secesh.net/B23.htm

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
ScottP

ScottP
PostMon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm 
tk-421 wrote:
http://www.nwrain.com/~newtsuit/recoveries/lkwash/lkwash.htm
I did a number of dives on the Martin Mariner PBM-5 mentioned in that article. The 30 cal tail gun was still in place on the last dive I did.

car68
Out on the skids

car68
Out on the skids
PostMon Jan 03, 2011 5:28 pm 
Schroder wrote:
It was a Navy Chinook from Oak Harbor that crashed at Perfect Pass around 1980. They were trying to rescue a climber on Challenger and lost visibility & crashed into a wall. One survivor. (it was not an illegal sightseeing tour, as Mal mentioned on the first part of this thread)
http://www.mra.org/drupal2/sites/default/files/documents/training/AMRO_rev08.pdf Page 5 mentions this crash.

I'm the guy 911 calls.
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jan 03, 2011 6:04 pm 
Four survivors. I didn't remember that. Every Mountain Rescue Unit in the state was heading in on the ground on that one.

JimK

JimK
PostMon Jan 03, 2011 6:25 pm 
BillyTheMountain wrote:
I found a small airplane crash on the eastern shoulder of Granite Mountain near Snoqualime Pass. You could easily tell where the plane came down through the tree canopy as there was a hole in it and then ripped branches down to the wreck. It was very weird because the plane was on a steep sidehill spread out some and it was just a bunch of shredded aluminum however, there was the double seat intact and down the hill a bit from the wreck. That was around 1994. To find it go to the Denny Creek road and go past the first house on the right and look for a culvert on the left that goes UNDER Interstate 90. Go through it! curve to the right then UP. Stay on the "trail" and you should find it after about an hour of climbing. The plane wreck is just below the treeline. BillyTheMountain
The date was November 21, 1992. I had the misfortune to hear it. It was the day of the UW-WSU football game in Pullman. The plane was flying over for the game. I was hiking the Pratt Lake Trail. It was very cloudy with minimal visisbility. Snow on the ground from near the trailhead. I heard a plane engine low overhead then it stopped.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jan 03, 2011 8:30 pm 
I remember the Gyro-Copter that crahsed on the shore of Chetwoot. Forest service people packed it out. I havent seen any information about a CH47 crashing in/at Chetwoot.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
rustdogbrown

rustdogbrown
PostWed Aug 29, 2018 9:58 pm 
I have been to wayhut lake (aka boulder) lake twice now with no luck finding an SNJ-2 that crashed there in 1953 (found in 1958). The only evidence of wreckage is some small aluminum frame work for a panel that someone left by the side of the lake. Someone on this forum referenced a fisherman's anthology that mentions this wreckage and it does. However, it does not give a lot of detail about the exact location. The only details it provides are that it crashed on a virgin timbered ridge near the lake outlet and plowed into a rocky section that is not visible from the air. Maybe a landslide has covered it up?? I have read another account on a hunter's forum (that I can no longer find) that describes the location of the wreckage on a "south facing slope" near the lake. I have searched the south facing slope in the lake bowl and found nothing. If anyone has information that might help me pinpoint the location of the wreckage I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostThu Aug 30, 2018 8:15 am 
rubberlegs wrote:
Also a helicopter crash on Whitehorse
I wonder if that was a real crash or debri from "High Ice"?