Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > How many people bring work with them on the trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jun 21, 2005 5:16 pm 
Tom wrote:
Hey Stefan, were any of those summits named Malachite?
moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Jun 21, 2005 5:18 pm 
Quote:
Why can't you people just let us workaholics be?
headrub.gif its ok got to play once in a while winksmile.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jun 21, 2005 6:36 pm 
jenjen wrote:
I usually haul a small apple tree with me along with a couple of carboys.
Waitaminute....is that legal?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jun 21, 2005 6:47 pm 
I would bring my work to the mountains, but the problem for me is that I need to go light, and hauling an entire theatre on my back really slows things down.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostTue Jun 21, 2005 6:53 pm 
Work is what has always brought me to the mountains, just to get as far away from it as I can...................

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jun 21, 2005 6:59 pm 
marylou wrote:
I would bring my work to the mountains, but the problem for me is that I need to go light, and hauling an entire theatre on my back really slows things down.
But you're a drama queen, and that goes with you everywhere you go. Does that count? I'm a glamour-puss, and that goes everywhere I go, but I don't purport to be a light packer, so I won't mention the burden being beautiful is.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Jun 21, 2005 7:01 pm 
I haven't allowed work to consume my life yet. I still have a life. So, nope. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Jun 21, 2005 7:24 pm 
I wonder if I could sign my boss up for a trail crew?

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue Jun 21, 2005 7:38 pm 
MCaver wrote:
I'll stay at work as long as I need to so I can get things done, but once I leave that's my time.
Best answer yet. As far as I’m concerned, if you’re working — no matter where you are — you are at work. When I’m in the mountains, work is left far behind. Work isn't a horrible thing, but Mondays come soon enough.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
fish ahoy!

fish ahoy!
PostTue Jun 21, 2005 8:19 pm 
Also, people who aren't professional cooks are bringing food along. mad.gif Leave it at home unless you know how to cook! We don't want to smell your amateurish half baked attempts from across the lake. Even if it does keep the bears away, that doesn't mean it's appreciated. Watch the cooking channel or something. Anyone hunched over an MSR should be wearing a chefs hat and should have a set of knives and a rack of spices alongside them. Also, people are bringing guidebooks on the trail without guides! doh.gif You are supposed to have the guide with you if you are carrying the book. That book is for them, not for you. No wander people get lost all the time. If you don't have a guide, then leave the book at home. Some of those maps in the books show compass direction, but unless you are already pointing north, the book is completely incorrect, i.e. you could end up at Lake Josephine instead of Lake Valhalla. How will you explain that to the people who find you?

Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostTue Jun 21, 2005 8:24 pm 
iAgree! wrote:
Yet there is a large contingent of hikers who bring one's music on the trail, even though they are not professional musicians. Despite the presence of music that bombards our lives in the car, at home, at work, in elevators, at the grocery store, and at REI, many feel ill at ease unless that caucophony continues, note after note, drumbeat after drumbeat, electronic instruments wailing their endless blather ad nauseum infinitum.
I don't bring music on the trail. What I've found on multi-day backcountry trips is that after miles on the trail, all that accumulated listened-to music lurking deep in the recesses of my mind starts spewing out. I start remembering songs I haven't heard in years, lyrics I thought I'd forgotten. It's really an enjoyable experience.

Let me stand next to your fire
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue Jun 21, 2005 8:26 pm 
iAgree! wrote:
There seems to be a general consensus that bringing one's work life on the trail is inappropriate… Yet there is a large contingent of hikers who bring one's music on the trail… There is no difference.
Well, I see your point, but you’ve created a tenuous link — equating work and music in the wilderness is going to be a tough sell... I don’t enjoy either in the mountains, but I don’t begrudge others who feel differently. If somebody wants to walk on a trail wearing an MP3, more power to 'em.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jun 21, 2005 8:51 pm 
You people need to straighten up and fly right! This thread is about bringing work into the backcountry! Start your own %^&!!! thread. mad.gif oh wait, never mind.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Jun 21, 2005 10:09 pm 
Quark wrote:
jenjen wrote:
I usually haul a small apple tree with me along with a couple of carboys.
Waitaminute....is that legal?
I don't know if it's legal or not. It's a whole lot lighter than the tractor, tho. And I think tractors are a no-no in the wilderness because they have wheels. confused.gif I have passed some meadows in my time that could really use a good mowing and discing...

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostTue Jun 21, 2005 10:25 pm 
Thanks, jenjen. I didn't know what a "carboy" was until I looked it up. up.gif