Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Pack animals
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backcountry Blake

Backcountry Blake
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 11:11 pm 
This is kind of a touchy subject with me and I should probably just leave it alone...but I'm not going to. I can't stand seeing stock animals out on the trails. They smell bad, they make a mess, they attract flies, and they destroy the trails. Aside from maintainence purposes, they have no place on trails. Experiencing the gorgeous backcountry here in the northwest is a privelage, and if you are too lazy to get there under your own power you don't deserve to be there. I think busting your ass to get to a lake or peak gives you a lot more respect and appreciation for it anyway. Besides, how much crap could you possibly own that would require a horse to carry it all???? rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif

"There is a certain grim satisfaction to be derived from struggling upwards." -Eric Shipton
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 11:43 pm 
So, why are you on posted stock trails if the critters bother you so much? The majority of wilderness trails are not open for stock and all national park trails (except for the PCT) are completely closed to stock.
Quote:
Experiencing the gorgeous backcountry here in the northwest is a privelage, and if you are too lazy to get there under your own power you don't deserve to be there.
It's not a priviledge. I pay for those lands through my taxes, same as everyone else. The fact that I bring a goat along on a posted stock trail to carry some of the load has no bearing on whether or not I deserve to be there.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Backcountry Blake

Backcountry Blake
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 11:24 am 
That wasn't supposed to be a personal attack against you. I'm sure that if more people packed with goats it wouldn't be such a big deal. Its mainly the horses that bother me. I think it is kind of ridiculous that totally capable people are so lazy that they have to ride a horse. I know that you have a knee problem and you only use the goats to carry some of your gear, but you still put in the effort to hike so that is totally cool with me.

"There is a certain grim satisfaction to be derived from struggling upwards." -Eric Shipton
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 12:27 pm 
I'd like to put in a small plea for tolerance. Sure hearing a lot of the opposite around here lately. Maybe there's room out there for all of us? Obviously, those of us with peculiar habits (goats, dogs, four-wheelers, guns, you name it) need to practice a high degree of responsibility. Hope to meet you and the goats on the trail sometime, Jen.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 6:25 pm 
Man some people do need to learn tolerance. Riding a horse is for lazy people, oh man you gotta be joking. Jenjen is right, don't complain when hiking on one of the few public trails that allow stock use. down.gif Booooooo!

Tazz

Tazz
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 7:16 pm 
All of those people ride horses because they love to ride not cause they are lazy. We love to hike they love to ride. Pack trips on horses has been around for 100s of years. A good majority of the trails we hike today where made for horses and mules for exploration, hunting, and mining. That is why there are switchbacks. Go to the east coast no horses or switchbacks. I don't like poo on the trail either but I just step over it and move on.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 8:09 pm 
All of those people drove slaves did it because it was the best way to grow rice then cotton not because they were lazy. We love to hike they love to ride. Slavery was around for 100s of years. A good majority of the trails roads we now drive on and goods we use we hike today where made by slaves or horses and mules for exploration, hunting, and mining. Just because something is historic does not mean it is good or desireable. biggrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tazz

Tazz
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 8:11 pm 
tongue.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 10:31 pm 
I know that wasn't a personal attack against me, Blake. For one thing, I don't have a horse. Your post did rub me the wrong way, though. One thing to think about (and I realize this ties in with another thread)... the more you restrict the access to wilderness areas, the more advocacy for wilderness designation will evaporate. Narrow down the access to the point that only people willing to walk three days can get in and experience it and slowly you loose the people for whom wilderness really means something.

Backcountry Blake

Backcountry Blake
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 12:05 pm 
Looks like my post really stirred up some emotions. I hope I didn't make any enemies. I think I'll revert back to being a nice guy from now on. frown.gif

Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 12:18 pm 
no worry BB smile.gif just pointing out the other side

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 12:42 pm 
Backcountry Blake wrote:
Looks like my post really stirred up some emotions. I hope I didn't make any enemies.
Heck no. For my part, I was reacting to several "ban 'em all" threads that are active right now. I didn't want to highjack Jen's pack animal thread, but things seem much more civil over here for the moment--so I posted here. Poor form on my part, and a little oblique, too.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
WTCrocker

WTCrocker
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 1:12 pm 
Pack stock on trails isn't the problem, it's pack stock in camp that can (I repeat 'can') rile me. When the best or the the only suitable campsite is littered with feces and flies and exposed tree roots, I just wanna shoot somebody. I feel the same in the front country when encounering massive fire rings filled with blobs of melted glass and alluminum.

This the year!!
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 1:27 pm 
Backcountry Blake wrote:
Looks like my post really stirred up some emotions. I hope I didn't make any enemies.
Nah. You'd have to do way worse than that to make an enemy. There's something about the written word that makes communication seem much confrontational than it usually is.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jul 14, 2005 4:55 pm 
Backcountry Horsemen and other horse groups are a successful lobby group for public lands. If you barr them, hikers would suffer as well, because many of their concerns are the same a those of hikers, whose lobby efforts and attendance at public hearings has traditionally been dismal.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting