Forum Index > Trip Reports > Upper Ice Lakes and Entiat Meadows
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostWed Sep 18, 2002 8:45 pm 
Hiking mate and I came back from a week trip to the Upper Ice Lakes basin and Entiat meadows last Saturday the 14th, just ahead of an incomming front and the first hunters for deer season on the 15th. Warm to hot weather in the day but it settled down to cooler temperatures in the evening for ideal bivy bag slumber. Wow, nary a soul on the trail and no permit or daily trail fees, just a simple sign-in at the trailhead, no tag necessary, sir. We completed the circuit of Larch lakes, Pomas pass, Ice Lakes with a scramble up Mt Maude, up to the meadows, then out the Entiat river trail. In the meadows, we did meet up with an older man who came in solo with three horses. He described a scramble area above the meadow near Buckskin mountain that had trees carved with human faces. Faces carved by the Basque sheep herders. According to the old man, Sheep have been tended in these open meadows and ridges for years ending approximately 30 years ago. While at the Ice Creek campsite, a great campsite by the way, I went up the trail to the Borealis ridge to the east with hopes of reaching Milham pass. This was the only poor trail I expericenced with hundred's of fallen logs on the trail sometimes obscuring the trail altogether. Of course I didn't keep good notes on the poor trail sections and ended up bushwacking straight down the hill. A few bee stings and scratches later I walked into the campsite relieved, only to meet an enterprising yellow jacket who refused to give up the battle. Ouch ! A portion of the Entiat river trail is open to bikes and motorcyles and despite the dearth of people, here comes a motorcyle as we approach the parking lot. Upon closer look, this guy is a field ranger out of Wenatchee and spends a lot of time driving on these ORV trails. I have no problem with this arrangement but I imagine Harvey Manning or other past environmental activist would cringe at the sight. The ranger claimed a continuous trail for motorcyles from Lake Wenatchee to the Entiat and beyond exists ! Great bouldering in the upper Entiat Meadows under the shadow of Mt Maude and Seven Finger Jack. We found two large granite boulders that lay aganst each other, offering solace from the midday sun with a stream in the middle for refreshment and four dynamite faces offering cracks, overhangs and slabs. An alternative to the Enchantments ? No but a compelling blend of high altitude, granite and larch trees with the open meadows seen in the Buck Creek and Glacier Peak areas. I hope to show a few pictures soon. One that may intrigue those interested in the topic of defensive weapons in the wilderness. Bugs ! Few to none, especially in the meadows, a potenital blood bank. DROCK

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostTue Sep 24, 2002 8:03 am 
Great trip report. We went on much the same trip a year ago without the samurai sword. We ran out of time and did not make it to Entiat Meadows but we did get to spend 3 nights at Upper Ice Lakes. The weather was great last year also. One morning I got up and looked at the lake and something looked different. I looked some more and the lake was like a sheet of glass. There was such a good reflection that I had trouble at first figuring out where the lake started and ended. Your picture of the basin above Entiat Meadows looks awesome. I have an excuse to go back now This is a what the lake looked like that morning.
upper ice lake 2
upper ice lake 2

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

PostTue Sep 24, 2002 11:30 am 
Nice TR. And excellent shot Wooly.