Forum Index > Gear Talk > Tents - The Lighter the Better!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Dec 21, 2001 10:19 pm 
I remember there being some great tent talk on the first Accessboard before it imploded. I'd like to revive some of those posts by getting folks' comments on their tent of choice for solo camping. I'm looking to pick up an ultralight 1-person for next summer and would like other options besides the $500 Stephensons. Anyone have one of the Sierra Designs 1-person deals? How about the 1-person Mountain Hardware set-up? Supposedly MSR is coming out with a super-duper-light 1 or 2 person tent that beats all of the above in terms of weight, and, it has Titanium poles (TURBO cool!) Anyone know anything about it??

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Dec 21, 2001 10:38 pm 
I hadn't heard about the MSR titanium tents. MSR did buy out walrus and a few other makers, and is pretty much selling those brands/models (like the walrus zoid) under the MSR name now. I purchased my zoid on closeout for $109 w/ footpring a month or so ago. It's a one person tent that weighs a little over 3 lbs. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet but from all the research I did on the net it was one of the top picks for solo backpacking, and the price was right. You can go a little lighter but I actually wanted to be able to sit up in my tent smile.gif. The sierra designs tents are about the same size and weight. Here is a good comparison chart. BTW, a quick check at Yahoo Shopping shows the "walrus" zoid available for under $100 if cost is an issue.

Dante

Dante
PostFri Dec 21, 2001 10:54 pm 
Here's a link to some info on the MSR Titanium Zoid 1.5 LINK It looks like "Titanium" refers to a fabric coating and not the poles frown.gif The Walrus Zoid is also being sold under the MSR brand. Anyone seen a Golite Den close up? Here's another LINK

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Dec 21, 2001 11:13 pm 
LOL Dante, do you think those "titanium" zoids cost so much because they're collectors items, or do you think it actually costs that much to make them?

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Dec 21, 2001 11:35 pm 
Guess I heard wrong - the titanium coating actually makes more sense than the poles in terms of an overall weight savings. Nice find on the link, that tent has definite possibilities assuming there's even a remote chance I can get my hands on one.

salish

salish
PostFri Dec 21, 2001 11:58 pm 
Randy, if cost is an issue (as it is with me) don't be afraid to experiment with some cheaper tent designs. I bought a used Eureka Zephur single man tent on The Lightweight Backpacker site for $40. The tent was in excellent shape but was pretty heavy for a one man tent. This is the old model with the weird fly/fly pole arrangement. I took the fly and it's pole and threw them in my garage, and clipped a couple of things off, and now use my large poncho for a rain fly. It works great, and the tent weighs just a tad under 3 lbs. I like the fact that it's free standing and I can move it easliy. I use this tent if I know it's going to be super rainy or cold. For most of my backpacking I now use an 8x10 Siltarp, and I sleep out in the open every chance I get. Salish

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dante

Dante
PostSat Dec 22, 2001 9:53 am 
If you haven't done so already, try searching the terms "ultralight" and "tents" at www.google.com or just click here. I love Google--9400 results in .26 seconds! cool.gif (I found the link by searching "MSR" and "tent". Also check out this Comparison Chart at www.gackcountrygear.com. Mmm...Bibler (drewl). Awahnee 2 (drewl drewl) wink.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Dec 22, 2001 10:44 am 
Google is cool, and Dante is good at it. That ultralite tent link didnt get me to any "light" tents! Tents that weigh in the high three to mid four pounds arent light. I guess there just arent that many really light tent makers. Besides Jack that is. TB biggrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dante

Dante
PostSat Dec 22, 2001 11:19 am 
I hope MSR has overestimated the demand so Tom and I can buy them at closeout prices when they don't sell at $400. The fly should be gold plated for that price wink.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Dec 22, 2001 11:39 am 
I think enough people would/will pay that and more so as to keep the market open. Stephenson is still making and selling tents. MSR wouldnt have brought that thing to the market if they didnt feel they would sell some. TB tongue.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dante

Dante
PostSat Dec 22, 2001 12:33 pm 
You shoul know, Tom. You're the target market (the price-is-no-object Ti everything gear freak) lol.gif If anyone can do it MSR can--they get $80 for a 2 liter pot eek.gif IF I was in the market for a one person tent in that price range I'd probably get the Integral Mk I Lite. Bombproof.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Dec 22, 2001 12:50 pm 
Hey, I didnt mention anything of the sort. I was being *humble*! My Stephenson 2X weighs nada! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Jonathan

Jonathan
PostSun Dec 23, 2001 3:49 pm 
allison I know a few that would pay more for that little tent, and I'm just as guilty. I have a bivy and two solo tents, Why??? I guess it is a sickness really, and I hike alone most of the time. If I know that it is going to be nice out I take the bivy.(not much fun to get in & out in the rain, (golite umbrella?)) If I'm expecting rain then I take my Macpac Microlight Comp. It is perfect for me and I have never seen a tent shed rain away form me like this one. I can almost sit up straight in it, there's room for my pack, and space to cook. Last year I enjoyed the Macpac so much I never took the bivy out. I only know one plcae to get it and right now they are out of stock, and I can't remember how much I paid for it, but I'm sure my wife would tell you it was to much. http://backcountry-equipment.com/ There is a whole world of equipment makers out there and we only get to see a few of them here in the states. I also use the Macpac Ravine 75 pack, it is very strong since I like to drag myself through the worst brush possible and I don't have to worry about my pack, plus it's very water tight. I have at least 10 backpacks and I used this one almost exclusively the last two years on overnighters. I need to have a yard sale. lol.gif

Tsolo

Tsolo
PostWed Dec 26, 2001 8:07 pm 
That Walrus Zoid I looks like a best buy for the solo bp'ing I like to do. Maybe I'll put aside my old Sleeve Flashlite and get one while they're still available. Here's a related question. How essential are those "footprint" tarps? It seems like you can get one for just about any current tent, but I've always just used a blue tarp that I cut to my tent shape. The Walrus Zoid I footprint weighs 8.5 oz. according to REI, which seems, if anything, a bit heavier (and more $$) than my custom blue tarp. So is a store-bought footprint any better?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Dec 26, 2001 8:21 pm 
They say it's to protect the bottom from wear and tear. Also, the footprint can be used as a "fastpack" ultralight shelter (with poles and rainfly only). Tell you what, I'll sell you my walrus zoid 1.0 for what I paid a month ago ($109 incl. footprint) if you're interested. Brand new. Haven't used it yet. Nothing wrong with it - just a little too small for me.