Forum Index > Gear Talk > Tents - The Lighter the Better!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 11:51 am 
Thanks Dante. Those <2 lb. single wall sil tents at http://wanderlustgear.com look pretty intriguing. Based on your experience with the single wall stepehensons would you consider the wanderlust tents, or do you think condensation would be an issue? What do you think about reliability. I wonder if those tents would hold up that well in a windstorm with the trekking pole setup and the light material, or is sil pretty heavy duty stuff?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 1:51 pm 
Backpacker Joe's Stephenson 2X accumulates more condensation than I like. We took it to Rock, Purvis and Panorama in late August/early September. It was NOT a warm or humid night and the entire canopy was covered with a light film of condensation. We slept outside the next night at Panorama. That said, I've heard and read condensation is not a problem in the double-wall 2.75lb Stephenson 2R. If I were in the market for an ultralight tent and price were no object I would strongly consider the 2R. Unfortunately, it's $500 frown.gif The quality is great though--you should take a look at Backpacker Joe's 2X. It's a work of art. I wish someone would convince Todd Bibler to make his Ahwahnee II LINK out of SilNylon. It's tall and spacious and has well sheltered bug net windows, so it might not condense too bad. I bet you could also knock 1 to 2 lbs off the 5lb 4oz weight of the Todd-tex model. SilNylon is pretty tough stuff for its weight, but I don't know how the wanderlust tents would stand up in a mountain storm--I think they're geared more toward long-trail hikers than alpinists. The MSR/Walrus Trekker Tarp and insert LINK (near bottom of page) also use trekking poles as a frame. It's a Backpacker Magazine Editor's choice, but the tarp and mesh liner get you well into the "real tent" weight range.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 2:57 pm 
That is a great idea Dante. That Awanee was awesome. I wish I hadn't sold it. I spent 6 great nights in the neckless valley and the foss lakes in it. I'm going to send Todd Bibler an email about it. biggrin.gif smile.gif tongue.gif wink.gif cool.gif rolleyes.gif clown.gif lol.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dante

Dante
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 3:46 pm 
I wish you'd told ME you were going to sell it wink.gif Then you could still use it. IMO the Ahwahnee is close to the perfect compromise of light weight, strength, weather proofness (is that a word? rolleyes.gif ) and comfort. I just wish it were a 2-door (and less expensive). If I had to replace my Light Dimensions' (and had the money) I think it would come down to the Ahwahnee or a Stephenson 2R with side windows.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 5:00 pm 
Ya that ahwahnee is now 700.00. I wish I hadnt sold it either. I think I paid 325.00 for it employee cost! A smaller second door would be a good idea. Kerry, (my cousin) and I bettled a strong lightning thunder storm at Locket lake in that baby. Lotts a head room for sure. I still want a Stephenson 3R. I'm going to order one before they stop making tents. waah.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 6:56 pm 
There was a guy over at REI's Camping/Hiking forum that got a Hennessy a while back. Seems like he liked it. You might wander on over and give him a chat? Tell em about this forum? NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jan 03, 2002 10:13 pm 
Which REI? biggrin.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 8:04 am 
Sorry..I ment their on line forums. It was either Gear Talk or Tips and Tricks. Someone had made the purchase and was really happy with it. http://www.rei.com/community/docs/camptop.html NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dante

Dante
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 9:05 am 
The Hennessy hammock is tempting, but a tarp, guylines, tent pegs and bug netting for one offers more versatility and weighs less than their 1.5lb Ultralight Backpacker model and all that stuff for two people weighs less than their standard 2.5lb Expedition model. That said, they are still great alternatives to one-person tents. I might still might get one wink.gif P.S. Here's another source of minimalist shelters and ultralight gear (including Henry Shire's tarp tent for thos of us who may not want to make one) LINK Check out their "Powerpac backpack/sleeping pad/bivy, too.

Naffer
What's Up!

Naffer
What's Up!
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 6:54 pm 
Yo Backpacker Joe, I remember That Thunderstorm at Locket,Wow it felt like we were in the storm. But out of your tents I have used, I like the Ahwahnee best also, but the pounds are a factor. rolleyes.gif

"Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth." -Charles A. Dana (1819 - 1897)
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 7:58 pm 
That was a good time. The Ahwahnee was a *stay in the tent* and out of the weather kind of tent. You could party in that thing. I liked the height of the thing best.

polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Jan 04, 2002 9:02 pm 
A tent that I recently tried and loved was Tent-In-A-Can. The can weighs in at 4 oz., the little duffle bag at 0.5 oz. The worst part: I have to admit it was aggravating to have to shake the can for 30 seconds while it rained. Some of the other campers around were giving me annoyed looks because the little metal ball inside makes such a racket. It was beginning to sound like a Chinese checker tournament winding down. After I was done shaking, though, it was a cinch. While the wind was blowing everyone else's tents and poles hither and yon, I was calmly spraying myself a-la Rightguard. Later that night, the shower turned into a real gullywashing downpour. Gear was floating around on the high seas, and everyone was cussing, swearing, and bailing big time. As for me, it seemed like more water was running off of me than hitting me. The next morning I took advantage of the can's patented equi-vacupress feature--when you spray the tent on yourself, a vacuum in turn is created in the can so the next day you just vacuum up what you used and it's ready for next time. I had a litttle vacuum left over, so I used it to clean up my campsite into a model of leave no trace, and get the trimmings out of my 'lectric razor. I could see the dawn of realization settling over my waterlogged fellow campers faces the next day as they began to realize that the "crazy egg" really was on the cutting edge. cool.gif One negative comment: I tried the "skylight-pole" accessory that comes with it (2.1 oz.) . It only works if you have an "inny" belly button so keep this in mind. biggrin.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jan 05, 2002 8:50 pm 
Hey dante, that ultralight hammock is starting to look better and better. I didn't realize you could rig it as a tent/bivy with hiking poles. That changes the whole equation for me as far as worrying about finding a couple of trees, not to metion being more LNT friendly than tents and tarps. I'm tempted to give it a try but once again Return Equipment Incorporated is out of stock of the ultralight version. BTW, I wonder if a (grizzly wink.gif) bear might ever mistake you for a hanging food pinata? biggrin.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jan 05, 2002 10:14 pm 
TD, it wasnt my understanding that REEEEEEEEEEEEEI carried anything other than the expedition version. I was there today looking at it. I like the way its designed. I'm going to order the ultralite in grey. They dont have any good blend in colors in that SIL fabric, so grey it is.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jan 05, 2002 11:07 pm 
TB, it's looking like both you and I are gonna be hanging from trees in spring. I'm pretty much sold on this thing after looking at the user reviews. Which REI did you go to? Did they have one on display?