Forum Index > Gear Talk > Tents - The Lighter the Better!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 06, 2002 12:59 am 
I went to the Redmond store. They had 5 of them. I took the time to dismantle one and LOOK it over. I'm calling Hennessy Monday to ask about ULTRALITE colors and availability of models and an answer to the sleeping pad question! They talk mostly about a radiant barrier space blanket system. Well I'd like a back up if I wasn't able to find a spot to set up. I'm thinking a 1/8" thick blue foam pad as a sleeper pad and back up.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostSun Jan 06, 2002 5:38 pm 
Hennesy's customer service is tops. I e-mailed them a while back to see if I could get the regular version with a SilNylon top and they said sure! They have a custom options link on their website. As I think I said above, or in another thread, they'll make one up just about any way you want within reason.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 06, 2002 5:59 pm 
Well, I just got to thinking about some previous trips. There arent often trees condusive to hammocks IN campsites, but usually not to far away there are available spots. Also this past summer going from Jordan to Falls lakes I could really have used a hammock because I had to find a spot to sleep quickly and I barely found a flat space. With a hammock it doesnt matter if you are on a steep incline. I keep having to re-evaluate my thought process for this hammock thing.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 12:16 am 
I figure I can cut my weight WAY down by not bringing a sleeping pad (usually a Trest) or now any normal shelter. I've been looking into what Hennessy uses for an insulation device. I've been consentrating hard on previous hikes and trying to picture in my mind places to set a hammock up. I have to admit, most areas offer availability. Obviously places like the enchantments and severe elevations are out. Althought you could go down to shield, mesa or earl lakes and use a hammock. tongue.gif

Dante

Dante
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 10:00 am 
I don't remember where we were going with Naffer, Backpacker Joe, (Tuck and Robin?) but I do remember improvising a bivy shelter...on a slope...in the snow...in the dark...after we lost the trail frown.gif A hammock would have been great then! (IF I had some Reflectix on the bottom to keep my ass from freezing wink.gif )

Naffer
What's Up!

Naffer
What's Up!
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 7:26 pm 
Dante, That was Tuck and Robin lakes I think. Snow In the morning, wow but what did we expect in Oct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

"Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth." -Charles A. Dana (1819 - 1897)
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jan 11, 2002 1:02 pm 
Just went over to El Hikey town and well, maybe I accidentally bought one of those SD Light Year tents. Ran me $114 on sale, $126 with tax. Tent body, poles, stakes, and stuff sack weigh in at about 2lb4oz. I checked and they have more at Redmond, FWay and Lynwood, but I'd move fast to get that price. I'm sure one could save a couple of bucks online but hey, I've got it now!!! yawn.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jan 11, 2002 1:08 pm 
Allison, the advertised weight of that tent is 3 pounds 2 ozs. And we all know that advertised weight is like jumbo shrimp, it doesnt exsist. There is no way that thing weighs 2 pounds. PLEASE recheck that total tent weight.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jan 11, 2002 1:17 pm 
I just love it when women put me in my place! Ok I get it now. That makes some sence. Al, you're gonna get turbo wet without that fly. I mention that because usually when people bring tents they dont bring bivys or tarps or other forms of rain protection. Please dont get me wrong, I am not questioning your skills or judegment. Just wondering.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jan 11, 2002 1:28 pm 
Oh, I just got BA'd, and I'll bet by a beautiful woman too! You've just gotta love that. I am *very* sure that you have been into the woods. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jan 11, 2002 1:41 pm 
Hey, dont hold it against me. I cant help it! Miss. Allison. How's that for not being a kiss a**??? HA! TB Just teasing you Al. Sorry.

Dante

Dante
PostSat Jan 12, 2002 10:58 am 
Hey Allison, I've been mulling over an idea that someone with your sewing skills and experience might make real. I recently replaced my old Army poncho with a silicone impregnated nylon one that weighs a third as much as the Army poncho. It occurred to me that I could carry two of the new ponchos for the weight of the old poncho. That evolved into the following idea: Take two 8' to 9' by 5' pieces of 1.1 oz silicone impregnated nylon. Make a lengthwise head slit in the center of each one. Instead of a hood, add a silicone-impregnated nylon "turtle neck" that you could use as water resistant roll-down closures (a la dry bag closures). If you wanted to get fancy you could use water resistant zippers. Finally, sew the two pieces together at the edges and add some tie-outs. Now you have a poncho/tarp that will double as a tube-tent. If you wanted a water resistant but breathable top you could use Pertex 4, which is very water resistant and only a little heavier than 1.1oz (before coating) silicone impregnated nylon. If you wanted to get fancy, you could add flaps and bug netting to the ends. On the other hand, the poncho/tarp/tube-tent wouldn't have any real advantage over carrying a 5' x 8' SilTarp with a SilPoncho.

Dante

Dante
PostSat Jan 12, 2002 1:37 pm 
I already spend way too much time thinking about things like this. I should probably take ritalin to stay focused on work wink.gif (on the other hand, lots of my wild ideas benefit my employer). I think the poncho/tube tent is a "neat idea" but I won't make one because I don't see any advantage over a poncho and a separate tarp. If I make anything it will be a simple sleeping bag cover to be used on its own or under my poncho.