Forum Index > Food & Grub > 'nother food thread: what's for breakfast?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jun 30, 2005 10:39 pm 
So when you are backpacking, what do you like to eat for breakfast?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostThu Jun 30, 2005 10:50 pm 
These days I'm liking the Tandoori Curry Nan bread from Trader Joes. Two slices is about 500 calories and for a standard weekend trip it stays fresh enough. You can add a little jelly or something else if you like for a little bit more flavor. No cooking either which is a nice bonus. Always like to take some tea with just to warm up with in the morning. I love my coffee in the frontcountry but tea is easier to make and has less caffeine.

WhiteJacket

WhiteJacket
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 12:02 am 
If going hiking or climbing, I generally have a boring breakfast of mostly bran(bland) flakes or instant oatmeal with powdered milk and brown sugar. Same ol same ol. That is why i'm looking forward to the replies for ideas to hopefully spice up this most important meal. I do tend to feast well come daybreak if my objective was a little lake teeming with pan fryers and if i just so happened to pack my telescoping fishing pole and I just so happened to nab a lil napper or two. I feast then tongue.gif Ps No matter what i eat for breaky I have to have at least two slugs of good ol camp mud first thing upon awakening tho coffee.gif coffee.gif

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 3:20 am 
Coffee and Advil...the breakfast of champions! biggrin.gif I tired of eating hot porridge or oatmeal as well. I usually like to pack up quickly and early so I don't have a lot of time for making elaborate breakies. It's usually coffee, a Quaker Chewy Granola Bar, some Sesame Snaps, and perhaps an apple. If I am basecamping next to a cool water source, sometimes I'll bring a small carton of eggbeaters, some soft taco shells, some green onions, red bell pepper, jack cheese, sausage, some salsa...and make breakfast burritos. Biscuits and gravy is another easy one - take some summer sausage, english muffin, and some gravy mix.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 5:04 am 
Coffee and cigarettes. Sometimes a little hair of the dog.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
greg

greg
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 6:29 am 
Mountain House blueberry granola is my favorite. Just add cold water, its got powdered milk in there, man that's some good stuff. I could eat it for dinner. Also gotta have coffee.

Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 6:36 am 
ditto.gif that is all I have now when camping yummy

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 7:45 am 
usually some instant oatmeal or a breakfast bar. I have tried doing the instant eggs on the trail.. but I didnt have a simmer stove back then..and they got a little burnt in the pan doh.gif . I should try again I do so much cooking and cleaning at home.. I like to avoid as much of that as possible on the trail.

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
reststep

reststep
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 8:00 am 
For me it is instant oatmeal. It is not that I like it that much but it is easy and seems to provide enough nourishment to get me going in the morning. After I start hiking I munch on a power bar. I also have hot chocolate with instant coffee mixed in. I might have to try that Mountain House blueberry granola. That sounds good and easy.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Dante

Dante
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 8:16 am 
For a long time my breakfast staple was Quaker Oats Instant Oatmeal (Maple flavor). Then I started bringing a yummy seaded loaf from Tall Grass Bakery - great for breakfast and reconstituted lunch or dinner slop. Lately I've been bringing Bob's Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli. I just add some water to soften it up. It's quick, all real food, packed with complex carbs and tasty.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 8:20 am 
I like the instant oatmeal and or the blueberry granola cereal.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 8:36 am 
For a quick pack-up-and-go breakfast, instant oatmeal or one of the other instant hot cereals and coffee. If it's high summer and hot - cold granola with instant milk. If I'm needing protein because the previous day kicked my butt, instant eggs and cheese cooked in a freezer bag rolled into a tortilla. If I'm on one of my long trips and taking a laundry and just poke around day, pancakes topped with jam. All of the above involve coffee. Coffee is absolutely necessary. If I'm in bail mode because the weather is really headed south, an energy bar thing while I walk. The first stop once I get on the road is for coffee.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 8:37 am 
I eat whatever I feel like eating wink.gif I like bagels with cream cheese in off season, or to eat a dinner for breakfast. Or totrtillas with PB and bananas cut up. Or maybe oatmeal. Or nothing but candy if I am feeling bad tongue.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
paul

paul
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 9:18 am 
Hard boiled eggs stay good for a couple of days, Also figs and dried apes and apples. Sometimes I take dried fruits, add some candied ginger and coconut oil and simmer them with water for a nice fruit compote. This is world-class yummy. I can't eat starches so I have to be inventive. I think Chinese-style BBQ pork might make a nice b-fast meat. Paul

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 10:08 am 
marylou wrote:
So when you are backpacking, what do you like to eat for breakfast?
What I like to eat, and what I end up eating are two different things for sure! I usually end up eating instant oatmeal, granola bars or poptarts, while I dream of eating pancakes, omelettes, and cinnamon rolls wink.gif
paul wrote:
Also figs and dried apes.
Yikes! Even a dried ape would be kinda heavy, IMO clown.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/