Forum Index > Food & Grub > 'nother food thread: what's for breakfast?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
WhiteJacket

WhiteJacket
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 10:11 am 
paul wrote:
dried apes I can't eat starches so I have to be inventive. I think Chinese-style BBQ pork might make a nice b-fast meat. Paul
pork i can see, but dried apes ??? epicure.gif now that's getting inventive biggrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 10:12 am 
I don't bring coffee anymore - I just drink water. I don't miss it, but I drink enough coffee at home that I get a headache if I go without for more than 48 hours, so I keep some Vivarin in my first aid kit to prevent DTs. (It's rough being an addict). You might say the Vivarin is part of my breakfast menu on long trips doof.gif

Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 10:21 am 
A breakfast cylinder of Coors Light. Seriously, instant oatmeal & brown sugar chased by black tea with honey (or instant coffee and powdered creamer).

Let me stand next to your fire
paul

paul
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 10:26 am 
What makes the dawn come up like thunder? Courage! What makes the Hottentot so hot? Courage! What puts the "ape" in apricot? What have they got that I ain't got?" Courage...

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 10:32 am 
Quote:
I think Chinese-style BBQ pork might make a nice b-fast meat.
That sounds like a good backpacking meat in general. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 10:44 am 
Powdered dried eggs mixed with a few home dried mushrooms, salt, pepper, green peppers, and onions touch of powdered milk all mixed with water at camp in a plastic bag then poured into a lightly buttered outback oven bottom with some grated cheese and salsa on top makes a much better mexican omelet than the FD stuff.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 11:48 am 
On a short trip, a container of 2 cups Grapenuts and 1/3 cup dried milk, plus raisins and cinnamon. Pour in water to top of container, put the lid on, swirl and shake until milk is dissolved. On a longer trip, Grapenuts are too heavy. 2 cups regular oatmeal, or 1 cup cream of wheat, with 1/3 cup dried milk and some raisins, walnuts, maybe brown sugar. Cook all of it in the pot with a little too much water (say, 3 cups). Never coffee. Wimps drink coffee. Real men don't need artificial stimulation.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 3:52 pm 
A big jar o' paste, pleases every time! chow.gif Or if feeling fancy smancy then, Nutella.

Ebrace life!
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostFri Jul 01, 2005 10:14 pm 
Dante wrote:
I don't bring coffee anymore - I just drink water. I don't miss it, but I drink enough coffee at home that I get a headache if I go without for more than 48 hours, so I keep some Vivarin in my first aid kit to prevent DTs. (It's rough being an addict). You might say the Vivarin is part of my breakfast menu on long trips doof.gif
Thanks for that. I'm good for 24hrs. But that second day, it's all over. I end up needing a big old wood clamp for my scull like Uncle Fester. Vivarin, ugh? I'll give it a try. Gotta be better than Folger's freeze dried packets.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Jul 02, 2005 12:48 am 
Coffee, and one of those Pemmican bars. The boyfriend loves a big glass of cold milk, and wants to experiment with powdered milk.... we shall see.

Backcountry Blake

Backcountry Blake
PostSat Jul 02, 2005 1:27 am 
Up until recently I always had instant oatmeal. Just before my last hike I discovered these Quaker oatlmeal breakfast bars. They have all the same flavors as the assorted instant oatmeals and they pack the same energy, but all you have to do is grab one and hit the trail. Hows that for a Quaker advertisment?

"There is a certain grim satisfaction to be derived from struggling upwards." -Eric Shipton
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostSat Jul 02, 2005 2:07 am 
instant thai coffee in packets (cream and sugar included), i get them from the company that sarbar works for (importfood.com), really good stuff, doesn't taste like instant at all. you need 2 packets for a "normal" 10-12oz cup though.. i usually have oatmeal or rice pudding for breakfast, or bagels and cream cheese especially if i'm hiking near port angeles smile.gif

quilter

quilter
PostSat Jul 02, 2005 10:00 am 
Quote:
i usually have oatmeal or rice pudding for breakfast, or bagels and cream cheese especially if i'm hiking near port angeles
I'll be hiking near Port Angeles. Is there a good bagel place? Also, how do you make rice pudding? I love rice pudding. We usually have oatmeal, then everybody can pick their favorite flavor. Those freeze-dried raspberries are good on top.

TravelHiker

TravelHiker
PostSat Jul 02, 2005 11:15 am 
My standard breakfast food now is Bear Creek potato soup mix, string cheese to melt into it and bagel to dip, then I'll hit the coffee. The soup heats me up real quick and it's quite filling. I got the big container at Costco for something like $8 -- it goes a lot farther than the smaller packs in grocery stores selling for $3.50-4. My backup foods are the instant miso soup and oatmeal.

Always take the scenic route.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Jul 02, 2005 1:12 pm 
Oh god...the Olympic Bagel Company in Port Angeles....droooollllllllllllll..... It is a mandatory stop!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.