Forum Index > Trail Talk > Larch Day Hike
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rossb

rossb
PostMon Sep 23, 2002 7:11 pm 
Does anyone have a recomendation (or two) for a hike with Larches? I would prefer a moderately strenuous one (about 10 miles round trip and 2,500 feet elevation gain). Thanks, Ross P.S. If this got posted twice, my apologies.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon Sep 23, 2002 10:12 pm 
Maple Pass loop up out of Rainy Pass on the North Cascades. Usually prime by 10/5 - 10/10. ANY hike out of Harts Pass. Last year on 9/30-10/1 it was primo. Virtually any hike in first week of October from the end of the Entiat River Road that takes you UP. Or hike up Pugh Ridge via the North Fork Entiat River Road. The ridge is lined with larches while stunning views pound your senses in all directions.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark

Quark
PostTue Sep 24, 2002 8:15 am 
I second Mr. Bauer's Maple Pass Loop from Rainy Pass. Also check out Cutthroat Pass on the PCT North trailhead at Rainy Pass (not Bridge Creek TH which is PCT South). Another closer one that can be crowded (and for good reason) is Headlight Basin area near Ingalls Lake at the end of the Teanaway Rv road. JimK (of this forum) has a classic photo of golden larches framing Mt. Stuart on his title block - look for JimK posts.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster