Forum Index > Trip Reports > Four Brothers Circumnavigation 6/30/05
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tazz

Tazz
PostSun Jul 03, 2005 2:57 pm 
Set out to climb Chikamin Peak. Parked at lonely Mineral Creek trailhead and promply discovered why. The trail is rather overgrown. By the time I got up to Park Lakes my legs were mince meat. After joining the PCT for a short distance, I dropped over the ridge on a climbers trail to Glacier Lake. Skirting around the lake and up the west side I gained the saddle between the Brothers and Chikamin. I encountered a few small snow patches in the basin right below the ridge otherwise things were in the clear. On the ridge, stay to the north to avoid a couple of dense evergreen tree stands. I made the mistake of trying to plow thru them. As I arrived just below the summit block I became worried due to the length and steepness of the final section. What the crazy.gif the book said class 3 scramble and what was in front of me appeared more like class 4. I did manage to gain the ridge and look down on Chikamin Lake. Being tired, grumpy and solo I chicken.gif out. Coming from the south on the PCT I later learned is the easiest way up. No worries... I'll come back some time. To complete my loop, I dropped down from the ridge to the south to rejoin the PCT. Not having been this way, and not completely sure it was doable made for about an hour of route finding amonst the cliffs. I think I went the only way possible for a non-technical descent. At least that's what it looked like from below. The way involves a sloping ramp with several short steep sections. Went back the way I came via mineral creek "trail". - Mania
Check out the smaller falls being blown into a rainbow.
Check out the smaller falls being blown into a rainbow.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Jul 03, 2005 5:45 pm 
The best line I have found when leaving the saddle between Chikamin and Four Brothers is to make a gradual descending traverse toward the pass to Park Lakes. If you loose elevation too quickly you will be in some cliffs and steep gullies. Incidently before Three Queens had that name it was called Mineral Mtn, hence the name Mineral Creek.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostMon Jul 04, 2005 3:18 pm 
The trail leading to the Park lakes, and around the lake itself, has some amazing "blue" in the fall. chow.gif Thanks for the info on this as well!(tis on the list)

Ebrace life!