Forum Index > Trip Reports > Klonaqua Lakes (7/3 - 7/4/05)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 10:12 pm 
Several years ago I looked down on Klonaqua Lakes from Granite Mtn. I was relatively unimpressed with the lakes from above, and the lower lake had a bathtub ring which suggested stagnant skeeter breeding brushy holes.
I didn't go home with any sense of urgency to visit the lakes, but over time it began to dawn on me that what makes for a beautiful lake setting is not necessarily the views down but the views up and around, and perhaps I might not have given these lakes a fair shake. This weekend I decided it was time to answer that question. With the weather forecast somewhat iffy I adopted a wait and see attitude for the 3 day weekend. Saturday morning the weather looked awful, but by late afternoon things had started to clear and I decided to pack and car camp at the Icicle Creek trailhead, arriving a little after midnight to clear skies and more stars than I had seen in some time. After 8 hours of beauty sleep, I was on the trail just after 9 AM. The long, flat, and relatively viewless hike along French Creek seemed to go by pretty fast, at least on the way in. I was surprised to encounter a few sections of trail before the French Ridge trail junction where the foliage was so thick I could barely see the path except for the small clearing at my feet. Fortunately it was the soft, forgiving, fern like variety of brush. The horse camps along the way were very clean and quite nice. I would not hesitate to camp at any of them. By noon I arrived at the Cradle Lake junction and decided to break for lunch. Shortly thereafter a group of horsemen passed by on the trail, acknowledging me with a friendly wave. By 1 PM I reached the Klonaqua Lake junction and the horses I had seen earlier, tethered just beyond a sign indicating no stock allowed on the trail to Klonaqua. An hour or so later and 1500' of gain I reached the windy shores of Lower Klonaqua and was not at all disappointed. A large beautiful sparkling blue lake with a inlet waterfall gushing in from the upper lake, an island, and the backdrop of Granite Mtn. After snapping a few pictures and crossing the dam I poked around on the northern shore, finding some very nice camps, but no trail around the lake, so I decided to raft. After a cold entry, I paddled briskly toward the island as cold waves splashed on my back, then toward the SW shore looking for a safe point to exit. I docked at a small talus field and was rudely greeted by a swarm of hungry mosquitoes. I could not figure out why I did not notice them at the other end of the lake, perhaps because of the wind. Upon attaining the top of the ridge separating the lakes I found a boot path, not sure whether it was the trail around the lower lake or which direction it came from. I continued down to the upper lake where the skeeters multiplied in number and did not seem at all deterred by the wind. After evaluating options I re-inflated the raft to seek refuge from the blood bath and explored the island, where I found relative solace from the bugs. There are limited if any flat spots to camp on the island, but I had brought my hammock, which afforded camp at a picturesque spot looking across to the cliffs of Granite Mountain dropping abruptly to the western shores and a beautiful waterfall cascading down to a meadowed inlet. I was still a bit cold and wet from rafting earlier so I decided to dry out and take things easy. Did a little fishing, caught dinner, took more photos, and enjoyed a nice relaxing evening, savoring the sheer solitude and beauty of the area. I awoke at dawn the next morning to a placid lake with reflections that coerced me out of my cozy hammock for an extended picture taking session. While eating breakfast I contemplated options for the rest of the day. I decided to raft to the other end of the lake and explore the grassy inlet below the waterfall. To minimize the potential for disappointment I pessimistically anticipated wet, mucky, bug infested meadows but was happy to dock on shallow sandy beach leading to firm grassy meadows inhabited by butterflies and few skeeters. I pinched myself as I continued on to the waterfall to take more pictures, I wasn't all that interested in visiting the lake at 5912' having looked down on it from Granite Mtn and also having been similarly underwhelmed, but I rationalized I could have been as wrong about this lake as I had been about the others. After a tricky scramble to the left of two waterfalls I reached the shores of 5912' and was blown away by the scene. What a fool I would have been not to pay a visit! Unfortunately I was swarmed upon by mosquitoes at the lake so my stay was limited to picture taking. I retraced my steps back down to the inlet and then casually rafted back to the island to pack up and head home. I decided to descend to the lower lake via the waterfall inlet. I would not recommend this unless you like vegetable belays and steep slopes, but the waterfall inlet is quite pretty. Upon reaching the northeast shores of the lower lake and poking around to locate the main trail, I noticed a cairned path that led steeply up the south side, which no doubt is the boot path around the lower lake. After a short detour to Bob Lake and a seemingly endless 4 hour / 9 mile slog I arrived back at the Icicle Creek trailhead, and the comforts of civilization. Pictures to follow...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 10:17 pm 
Great trip report Thomas. Just as I remembered it. There is supposed to be a trail around the lower lake via the left (west north west) route. Maybe not any longer. Cant wait to see your pics.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 10:58 pm 
Nice! Wishing I was there...sounds like you had a good time and great views. Looking forward to the pics. (m0r3 l4kE pr0n! hockeygrin.gif ) Edit: Added link for clarification. wink.gif Yes, they really do love mangling the language, e.g. "l4k3 pr0n is teh rulez!"

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 11:05 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Nice! Wishing I was there...sounds like you had a good time and great views. Looking forward to the pics. (m0r3 l4kE pr0n! hockeygrin.gif )
U mEaN m0R3 L4Ke P0rN. TB doh.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 1:33 am 
OK, but this may be too much pr0n for you boys to handle. winksmile.gif
Can you see a trail?
Can you see a trail?
Lower Klonaqua and Granite Mtn
Waves at Lower Klonaqua Outlet
Waves at Lower Klonaqua Outlet
Upper Klonaqua from Camp
Upper Klonaqua from Camp
Morning Reflections from Camp
Morning Reflections from Camp
Morning Pano from Camp
Morning Pano from Camp
Refletions from Camp
Refletions from Camp
Granite Mtn from Camp
Granite Mtn from Camp
Upper Inlet from Camp
Upper Inlet from Camp
Upper Klonaqua Inlet
Upper Klonaqua Inlet
Upper Klonaqua Inlet Falls
Upper Klonaqua Inlet Falls
Outfall From Lake 5912'
Outfall From Lake 5912'
Klonaquas From Upper Falls
Klonaquas From Upper Falls
Granite Mtn From Lake 5912'
Granite Mtn From Lake 5912'
Lake 5912' Pano
Lake 5912' Pano
Lake 5912' Reflections
Lake 5912' Reflections
Spires from Lake 5912'
Spires from Lake 5912'
Upper Klonaqua Waterfall
Upper Klonaqua Waterfall
Upper Klonaqua from Island
Upper Klonaqua from Island
More Upper Klonaqua
More Upper Klonaqua
Lower Klonaqua Inlet Falls
Lower Klonaqua Inlet Falls
Lower Klonaqua Dam Spillway
Lower Klonaqua Dam Spillway
Bob Lake
Bob Lake

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 6:36 am 
Great TR, Tom. Your Morning Pano from Camp photo is spectacular! --kl33t

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 7:54 am 
That's one jewel of a TR, Tom. I feel my mind opening to this "lake stuff" more and more. My wallet already opened last spring to the tune of $240 + tax. So I guess I knew it had to happen sooner or later. Thanks for the timely nudge.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 7:59 am 
Way to go Thomas. Your typical good work. You got yourself around this trip. How was that long trek back to the car? Trail goes on forever doesnt it?!?!

David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 8:10 am 
Great trip report Tom, Nice Pics up.gif

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 8:25 am 
Very very nice...thanks for the pics!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 9:37 am 
The lake you refer to as 5912 is called Swedes Lake.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 1:21 pm 
Wow! Almost as good as going myself. Great pictures.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 3:14 pm 
Hoping to get there this year. Your pics give me more inspiration. Did you happen to notice a route to cross over to Tuck/Robin? If so, how did it look?

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
ree

ree
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 4:04 pm 
Great pictures, as usual, Tom!

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Jul 06, 2005 6:30 pm 
You can go from Robin without too much trouble. Either the obvious route on the topo or over the top of Granite Mtn, though that gets kind of steep.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch