Forum Index > Trail Talk > Little things you can't live without in the woods
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Sep 24, 2002 1:08 am 
I know we did this one before, but it turned into a discussion about what the best gun was to bring into the woods with you was. So....BESIDES your favorite firearm....what's your favorite thing to bring into the woods that is not absolutely necessary (think 10 Essentials), but makes life easier in the woods? I'll throw a couple out to get things going: Pack Towl. Just a small piece of this super absorbent fabric works miracles in soaking stuff up, cleaning vital regions, and being a fluffy potholder. Better than a hankie for a lot of jobs. I don't bring a whole entire one with me, more like a half of one. Powdered toothpaste. Easier than the regular stuff to pack, and when after a trip or two ir gets clumpy, toss it and start over. Less foamy/messy in the BC too. I figure my $3 thing of dry toothpaste will last me 5 seasons. Shorty gaiters. Mine are the OR ones but tube sox with the feets cut off would do the same thing, keep the dirt out of your boots. Weight is nothing, and they work. Whistle. I'm lost, and I am tired, and dont want to yell any more. Come get me in the big whirlybird, and don't forget to bring a splint and some hot chocolate. Butter. Bring a pat, and be happy that your food was so tasty you didn't need it. Same with a tiny bottle of hot sauce, like the kind you get in an MRE. OK, your turn!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stomp
Terminally Indolent

Stomp
Terminally Indolent
PostTue Sep 24, 2002 5:25 am 
A good book. Or a book, at least.
The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. For when I'm stuck in the tent avoiding hordes of mosquitos or persistant rain. Again. To conserve weight, you can cut off the front and back covers, trim the margins off the pages, and use a hole punch to remove any unnecessary words, such as "the" and "and." Also, I like to trim the middle out of "Slartibartfast," as longer words weigh more.

# Stomp (fifty score key-tapping monkeys)
tk-421
Dead Weight

tk-421
Dead Weight
PostTue Sep 24, 2002 8:19 am 
About 25 feet of parachute cord (aka; 550). Light-weight, very strong and useful; clothesline, busted strap or boot lace replacement, bear bag suspender, etc etc etc. By removing the outer sheath, you have a bundle of braided inner strands which make good string, and those can be unbraided in to thread. You can't go wrong with parachute cord.

Dante

Dante
PostTue Sep 24, 2002 9:45 am 
I carry too much stuff in my first aid/repair/spares kit--utility cord, a little stainless steel wire, super glue, pen and paper, duct tape, etc. None of that stuff is essential, but it's great to have if you need it. I'd also list my trekking pole in the nonessential but nice to have category and I could make do with something smaller than a big lockblade swiss army knife with scissors and a saw. Oh yea . . . and gloves. I have a pair of leather gloves I forget about half the time. Great for handling hot or sharp things and warm enough for summer by themselves. I also use them with a pair of SmartWool liners in the winter time.

Hodgeman of BC

Hodgeman of BC
PostTue Sep 24, 2002 10:15 am 
Coffee..... If it's not one of the ten essentials, it should at least be considered a major food group !!

PostTue Sep 24, 2002 11:21 am 
Vodka, jalepeno stuffed olives, cigar.

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 1:24 am 
My camera, and film. Got to have it, love it.. Ice Girl cool.gif

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 5:29 am 
Little Things
I have to have my bike gloves which I wear all the time while hiking. They protect my hands from the edges of talus and scree. They also help keep the sun off the back of my hands. I love my sunglass holder which I clip onto the front of the pack. I take my sunglasses on/off during the hike frequently. When in shaded areas as well as if I am having to concentrate attention on handholds. Then quick as a wink I can put them away. I usually carry two pair of sunglasses though as I consider them such an essential item that if a pair were lost it is not a problem. Often enough someone on the hike has forgotten their glasses also. And as Allison mentioned the scrambler gaiters work like a charm in late spring, summer, and fall hiking. I too use the ORI gaiters. The velcro wears out quickly though so I usually put them on before my boots so I don't have to keep tearing the velcro open and closed. They last longer that way.

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 5:42 am 
Therm-a-Rest Lounge chair conversion kit. ..gotta have some chair action! Pocket book

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 7:16 am 
My hiking partner. Lightweight, dependable, and very high-tech. tongue.gif BW biggrin.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
salish

salish
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 8:22 am 
My books. I can't seem to live without my books while hiking. I carry a plant i.d. book, and Animal Tracks of Wash. & Oregon, and lastly a beautiful leather bound hiking journal that I've been jotting things in for a few years now. They're really heavy, but I like having them. And did somebody say coffee? I still carry a very small aluminum coffee pot I bought at a junk shop and I love smelling that coffee percolating away in the morning. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 9:10 am 
Maps. I know that maps are one of the basics but I like to carry a couple of others that I can study while I'm in camp. They don't weigh much and it allows me to get a feel for where I want to hike next time.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 10:53 am 
Every trip I take my pack is getting lighter and lighter. My first attempt at going "lightweight" ended up at 30 lbs (including pack and water). After each trip I've looked at what I took and didn't use or need. My last solo overnight trip ended up at 22 lbs, still a bit above where I want to be but I could barely feel the pack on my back (carried it up to the top of Malachite Peak without a second thought). Non-essentials I can't live without are my camera, extra batteries, and memory cards. Water filter comes in a close second (way too convenient vs. waiting for treatment).

janders

janders
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 4:56 pm 
-Thermarest chair conversion sleave (my ass thanks me for this every trip I take it) -Powdered gatorade (makes lukewarm water much more tolerable to drink) -Tao of Pooh (great read, you pick it up in the middle of the book and always get something out of it)

"Oh dang!" - Captain Amazing
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostThu Sep 26, 2002 11:22 am 
What you have to bring to the woods
A folding water bucket. You make one trip to the water source, bring it back to camp, and you can filter at your camp, sitting down with comfort. One bucket lasts me 2 days. And it weighs 6oz.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster