Forum Index > Trail Talk > warning
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nitpacker

nitpacker
PostTue Sep 24, 2002 9:32 am 
The Bellingham Herald reported car vandalism and theft at the Skyline Divide Trailhead near Glacier. I have seen suspicious activity at that site before. What appeared to be a spotter with a walkie talkie lower on the forest road and several people prowling cars up ahead. I have not heard much about this problem in other areas. Any News?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 2:55 pm 
I was up there last month....
I made sure my truck was stripped before I left home - I had been warned at the ranger station in Sedro about that. Most of the people I saw up there were tourists-very easy pickings! Scary thought about them using a spotter!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 9:12 pm 
There has been an interesting thread going on in cascadeclimbers.com about a ring of thieves operating off exit 38 on I-90. Evidently *alot* of people have been hit there. They break into your car, look for sales slips, etc. that might have your credit card number on it, and then go on a spending spree. They also have a spotter. Based on what I read in that thread, I'd feel pretty insecure about parking my car there unless it was empty of valuables and cc information.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 11:08 pm 
As bad as identity and credit card theft is these days, particuarly in the Seattle area, I don't leave my credit card information laying anywhere, even in my own trash. A simple $30 shredder will get rid of all that theif bait.

Smokey

Smokey
PostTue Oct 01, 2002 8:40 pm 
A couple of years ago, police caught thieves in a friend's car at the Mt. Si trailhead. They broke in without doing any damage. Police said the crooks would look for credit cards or the like, then put everything back into place and lock up the car. The idea being that the victim would take longer to discover the crime giving the crooks more time to run up a tab. I made up a sign that says I haven't left anything worth stealing in my car and I leave it on the seat in plain sight. And I DON'T leave anything. I was broken into three times before my little sign. Since the sign, so far so good.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 01, 2002 8:47 pm 
Ah, to be hidden in the woods, at a good position, with a GOOD sniper (DSArms SA-58) rifle when these things happen! Yep, I bet this theivery would stop if people started to DIE in the process! Lefty liberals, I leave myself open for you!!!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostTue Oct 01, 2002 8:51 pm 
The solution is a good crossfire situation. May I join you with my AR-15? BW biggrin.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
tk-421
Dead Weight

tk-421
Dead Weight
PostTue Oct 01, 2002 8:53 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Ah, to be hidden in the woods, at a good position, with a GOOD sniper rifle
In theory a good idea, but problematic; who would clean up the bodies? Talk about trail maintenance money being wasted! tongue.gif Personally, I would contribute significant quantities of cash to the local constabulary to pay for a concerted sting effort (with the assurance that those apprehended and convicted would get more than a $50 fine and three months' probation).

catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Oct 01, 2002 8:56 pm 
If you guys only knew how much you're impressing me with your lead studliness! oooooooooooooooooooh baby! lol.gif

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostTue Oct 01, 2002 9:02 pm 
Woohoo, What a response from an AR-15! Do I dare mention my AK-47! wink.gif BW biggrin.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 01, 2002 9:08 pm 
I'm about ready to purchase a pre-ban M-4. Or the civilian version thereof. May I join your BEARness with my new 5.56? Oh and your feelineship, the point isnt to impress you, but to DEPRESS them!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostTue Oct 01, 2002 9:13 pm 
Bears have been shot at for years! It's time for the bears to shoot back! eek.gif BW biggrin.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 01, 2002 9:27 pm 
Alright, all kidding aside. I think the same principal should apply as did 120 years ago. Steal a horse, and die! Make car theft a death sentence, and watch how many people steal cars! Likewise the destruction of.

Dante

Dante
PostTue Oct 01, 2002 9:52 pm 
I hear Ray Jardine recommends these . . .
I hear Ray Jardine recommends the Carbon 15 Type 97S--4.3lbs of carbon fiber, aircraft aluminum and stainless steel. See http://www.proord.com/products_ff.html. Light is right wink.gif

Amos Gunn

Amos Gunn
PostTue Oct 01, 2002 10:07 pm 
Seriously, if you killed someone over a friggin' credit card, the hassles would far outweigh the lost card hassles. Problems explaining it to authorities, potential guilt (I know you NRA afficianados would not have any guilt), cleaning up the dead bodies (or hiding them if you are feeling guilty), cleaning up the blood all over your car, patching the bullet holes in your car, buying more ammo for the next bad guy that wants to give up his life for your Nordstrom card, paying for counseling, paying for beer at your local pub so you can get therapy from your macho gun-toting buddies... Just let 'em take the friggin' card! Kill 'em only if your life is in danger.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster