Forum Index > Trip Reports > Discovery Park 7.09.2005
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostMon Jul 11, 2005 10:26 am 
I never knew there were trails so close to my home in West Seattle. In the 18 years that i have lived here i don't recall ever visiting this urban beach/forest. We parked at the East entrance and visitors center; took off on the loop trail heading clockwise and eventually the side trail down to the south beach. We walked the shore enjoying the views and heat up to the lighthouse. We then crossed over to the north beach trail before ending back up on the loop trail continuing clockwise until we finally reached the car. I would guess 4 miles total with 200 feet of elevation gain.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
whitebark

whitebark
PostMon Jul 11, 2005 11:09 am 
Hi Trailjunky, Discovery Park is indeed great! That four mile loop you did is a Seattle urban hike classic. Just the thing for a quick bit of exercise when one doesn't feeling like driving. I love that walk on North and South Beach, despite the proximity of the sewage treatment plant, whose presence is given away by a certain unmistakeable odor sometimes.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Jul 11, 2005 1:59 pm 
Not too mention that once in a while, wild critters are to be seen there....several years back, there was even a cougar that apparently strolled in via the railroad easement....we've seen deer, lots of owls, lots of eagles etc....very cool place in the city....

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostMon Jul 11, 2005 3:40 pm 
Glad you got to experience it. From old Fort Lawton to the beaches (especially the south one) and the lighthouse the park offers a lot to enjoy in the city. The lighthouse property was recently purchased by the city and sometime in the future will be restored and open for tours. up.gif In addition the Navy housing to the the north of the Ft. Lawton historical district was recently purchased or acquired by the city and I believe will be restored to natural habitat. The row of beautiful historical officer's quarters east of the district (which have stunning million dollar views!) will stay and last I heard might be available for purchase by the public. Not sure if that's true or not. I do hope that eyesore radar dome is going soon too- ugh!!! I was glad to hear they have reconsidered removing the WW2-era chapel in the park. The hike down to the south beach on the bluff trail is pretty cool and that beach is fantastic to enjoy at low tide- it can be 150 yds wide at some spots. It is truly unreal the people of Seattle allowed a sewage treatment plant built near West Point but they did a decent enough job of keeping its visual impact low. It does sometimes smell a bit but not too bad. The views of the Olys from atop the bluffs and down on the beaches near sunset are sublime.

jennmonkey
chupacabra

jennmonkey
chupacabra
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 6:57 pm 
I have been to Discovery but haven't checked out Seward Park yet. Heard there are nice trails there too. Anyone been there and how does it compare to Discovery?

qm1pooh
navigator

qm1pooh
navigator
PostTue Jul 12, 2005 7:40 pm 
I have to be one of the luckiest people with my job, because I live in one of the historic Navy housing homes in the park (not the 1950's ones that will eventually be torn down). I love the fact that I can walk out my front door and do a 3 mile loop every evening, which has pretty much been the case since we moved in last month. As for the future of my place, we keep hearing conflicting reports. Some research has indicated that once the city takes over Officer's Row and our block they will keep up the facades and gut the interiors as they have done with the stables and the other buildings. We've also heard that they will sell them (I hope I get first dibs, but I guess I would have to sell a kidney to get a down payment rolleyes.gif ). We should find out in about three years or so.

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 5:50 pm 
Yeah no kidding qm1pooh!!! up.gif So can you tell us a little about the houses or if you do will you have to kill me? biggrin.gif I was just kidding about that ugly radar dome...it's....really..unique! embarassedlaugh.gif Are the homes subdivided into apartments, etc or do you have the run of the whole thing? How are they to live in? Nice to look at from the outside but run-down inside? Yeah if they do sell them it doesn't take a genius to figure out they won't come cheap- the property value alone like I said would be in the stratosphere I bet. It would be a shame if they just keep the facades and gut the interiors- you'd think at worst the city could rent them out like the officer's quarter's at Fort Worden for example. I think it was a shame also to not have kept up the interiors of the Fort Lawton remaining historical structures and have them open to the public but it's always $$$$$$$. At least they saved the buildings. That's great you have the opportunity to live in one of those homes, wow what a cool experience.

qm1pooh
navigator

qm1pooh
navigator
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 6:42 pm 
On my block we have one single family house and the rest (including mine) are duplexes. The interiors are in really great shape, with not a lot of "modernization." In fact, some of the units still have coal chutes smile.gif I would like to see the city rent them out to employees who could use them, like newly hired cops, teachers, firefighters etc. I can see the reason for the military to get out (it's quite a commute to the bases), but I think housing in the middle of a public park shouldn't be sold off to the highest bidder.

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostWed Jul 13, 2005 7:01 pm 
Thanks for sharing that. Great idea about renting out to teacher's, etc. - I like that concept a lot. up.gif I agree the idea of renting or selling to the highest bidder is not appealing in the least.