Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchantments in a day - what would you carry?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 9:29 pm 
Uh-oh, 2-way radios? nono.gif biggrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Karen

Karen
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 9:45 pm 
Uh, what's the scoop on 2-way radios?? I'm not much into gear, have never used such. Are they a no-no? I honestly don't know because I don't use them and don't know anyone that has. Educate me. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 9:54 pm 
he's just funnin about another thread. 2 way radios are ok if you want to use them.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 10:16 pm 
Karen wrote:
Uh, what's the scoop on 2-way radios?? I'm not much into gear, have never used such. Are they a no-no? I honestly don't know because I don't use them and don't know anyone that has. Educate me. Karen
That's good, you're ahead of the game not knowing nuthin' about them. biggrin.gif As far as I know they haven't been outlawed in the Enchantments but I can sometimes get Wenatchee country radio with my tooth fillings up there! Dang if didn't get KGO San Francisco once or twice too. Barry Bonds was 0-4 that night. mad.gif Of course you may know nothing of Barry Bonds and wonder what the hell was this hare talkin' about. I have that problem all the time. Seriously, I don't know much about them- never used them, don't plan on ever using them, and there was another thread where folks who do use them gave some helpful advice. I would think cellphones (uh oh here we go again) since they are so prolific everywhere, when used for anything but real important stuff like calling for help, are a far worse contraption to the peace and tranquility of the outdoors.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 10:16 pm 
They have a lesser utility on solo hikes.

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 10:23 pm 
biggrin.gif That's funny, I was just going to say you gotta have two to tango.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 10:32 pm 
Only thing I can add to everyone else's lists would be that garbage bags do work for bivying. Not comfy, but surviveable. To set up an emergency bivy - find a spot as sheltered as possible from rain and wind. Put on your extra layers. Crawl into the garbage bag as far as possible. Wrap the emergency or space blanket around your head and shoulders. Settle in as comfortably as you can. If you need more warmth or something cheery, start a small fire (couple sticks burning in a scooped out hole, NOT a bonfire involving half a small tree) and position yourself to get as much reflected warmth from it as possible. The emergency food I carry is power or energy bars. I'm only gonna eat them if I really have to. Also remember, nobody has ever starved after just one night without food. If you have shelter and water you can survive for awhile.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 11:19 pm 
There are a lot of good bivy spots along that route. All the way to Colechuck you are in the woods with shelter and los of dry wood. At the lake there will be several parties camped and good camp sites. Going up Assgard there is a strip of trees 1/3 of the way up and sheltered camps at the top. The upper basin would not be a great place to be but there are few hazards theres the trees at the end are another spot. the lower lakes have many good spots and several parties will be there all the time. The most hazardous spot is the descent to Snow Lake again great spots at both lakes and emergency bivy's under overhangs could be used. In an emergency you could build fires. ada has sheletered spots and comfortable camps near the Snow Creek Wall. The area is not remote and lots of folks will be around. In the worst event you could wrap up every one in a trap and easily survive the night. I agree you should bag it if the wether is dicey.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
oosik

oosik
PostSat Jul 09, 2005 11:56 pm 
I think since the location is the Enchantments that even for emergencies fires should not be considered an option should something go wrong. If someone wanting to do this sort of trip needs a backup plan, they should just bring what they need for backup. It doesn't seem like a good plan to count on causing an impact on the terrain just because you chose to travel light. Besides, a bivy sack will be warmer than a fire anyway unless you are sitting right on top of it. Light bivy sacks are only 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. Another option is a radiant reflective emergency sack like that marketed by Adventure Medical Kits and possibly others. Space blankets can work, but if you want something better, they probably still make a tube version out of the mylar. I've bivvied with a mylar rectangular space blanket before and they come untucked and tear through the night, so it doesn't do as much for you as you might think it would. The greatest tool to avoid having to bivy? A headlamp that will not go dark on you. As long as you keep moving, no matter how slow, you will be warmer than if you stop for the night. Enough energy bars or snacks should keep the "bonk" away as well as adequate hydration. I'd say no to radios and cellphones, they are useless weight that won't do anything for you. Why no radios? You probably should't have the group split up enough to have need to use them. If they did split up, have them operate in two independant groups for better efficiency. Why no cell phone? The only reason is to call out is because you are late. If you are late, even if you have to stay overnight, you would be out by noon the next day. If you pulled out the cell phone, nobody is going to come for you overnight anyway, likely by the time anyone could find you you would have hiked out under your own power. Just set the expectations of whoever is expecting you to not get worried until after some mid-day time the following day. Probably the only thing to really enhance a light day pack set worth of clothes would be sufficient footcare stuff in case of blisters or sore feet. If the group was functioning as a group, first aid supplies could be pooled and pared down to keep from over duplication.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jul 10, 2005 12:20 am 
Dude, you might wat to chill a bit. Fires are legal half way up to Colchuck. I did not advocate them elsewhere. I think they are legal at Snow and Nada too. A lighter #0.5 oz beat a bivy sac @24 oz. What I am sayin is it's not the Muir snow field. In Sept you can probably spend the night in your civies if you are with a close friend. clown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Jul 10, 2005 8:54 am 
Karen asked a question earlier in this thread about how one would set up an emergency bivy. I just gave her my answer. For myself, things would have to be way worse than just getting benighted for me to build a fire. But that's me. Everybody has a different comfort level when they head out on a trail, knowing how to set up a shelter for the night is part of that comfort level. Besides, there's no better way to get a ranger's attention in the Enchantments than to light a fire of any kind. I can think of a few emergency situations where getting any kind of attention as quickly as possible would be really important.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Jul 10, 2005 10:35 am 
My dad and I have been doing this for years. You should take what we took: Snickers (snack size) Mars bars (now called Snickers Almond, also snack size) Skittles (in the snack size packets, only avail. at Easter and Halloween) Baby Ruth (snack size) Pepperoni (Hormel, in the stick form) Cheese (Tillamook, sharp) Roast Beef Sandwiches 2 water bottles (scoop fresh water from the lakes and streams) 20-year old day pack that's falling apart and has to be sewn back together after every trip Flashlight w/ 2 very weak batteries Camera Lighter First aid kit Clothing-wise, we went pretty simple too: Socks (cotton) Underwear (cotton) Shorts (cotton) T-shirt (yup, still cotton) Polar fleece *or* rain jacket. Ratty, old 8 year old Vasque boots If weather turns bad, you turn around and backtrack or keep on going (depending on whether you've made it halfway yet). If it gets dark you keep on walking, stopping to let the dim light of the flashlight rest and the batteries recover every once in a while. ---- These days I have a decent pack, bring a filter, have swapped out all the cotton for poly-pro and nylon, and have added a pair of trekking poles to the mix. A headlamp also makes a much better companion than the flashlight ever was. I also like brining a cell phone along so I can touch base with home base and let my mom know we're doing well and how nice the weather is on top -- she rests a lot easier and is a lot more likely to let my dad out of the house again, when I make a simple 30 second phone call at least once a trip. Oosik's right though...just keep walking. And be aware of the changing weather...if things are looking bad, turn around and head back out *before* nasty weather hits...keep in mind you're really exposed up there...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Jul 10, 2005 9:00 pm 
Hi Karen! This is what I brought on my Mother Mt. Loop-and what I'll bring when I do the 'Chants as a dayhike smile.gif Marmot Diva pack (it has real suspension, and is big enough for me to use as a bivy sack up to my thighs. LLBean softshell-it is 99% waterproof gloves hat long sleeve shirt if wearing shorts, my lightest weight pants extra pair of socks/liners headlmap w/ extra batteries water filter 2L bladder 20 oz coke bottle (because I like to drink Crystal Light mixes, and it is a backup for my bladder) My duct tape is around this. TP & snack ziploc bags for garbage Garbage bags (ziplocs, 2 gallon) maps compass extra shoelace emergency kit of e. blanket & handwarmers (I carry 2) full blown first aid kit (my kit weighs like 14 ounces-it is one of the few areas I do NOT skimp on weight) this includes sunblock and lipbalm sit pad (a FedEx padded mailer) umbrella trekking poles camera whistle fleece or down jacket for stops wallet/laminated permanent ID card I am required to carry due to criminal ID theft of my name (this has my fingerprints on it-this paperwork proves who I am.) My car registration/insurance papers (I don't leave anything with my name in it in my truck) Food: I carry a whole days amount of easy to eat items-my favorite is a Cadbury fruit and nut bar that has 60 grams of fat in it tongue.gif I carry items like bags of peanuts, smoked salmon, bagels with cream cheese, etc... I also carry extra food that I don't touch. A blow by blow flight plan with my man and another person, in writing. He gives me 2 hours over call time. This means I have 2 hours to call him and let him know I am out. I made my call time for Mother Mt. in Wilkenson by 1 minute..lol! I do NOT deviate from my plans if I can help it. Karen...as a joke Marzsit and me said this morning in camp: we need to do the Mother Mt. Loop every month in on season lol.gif It is dang gorgeous!! If you need another body let me know wink.gif Now off to plan for my 'Chant run wink.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.

PostSun Jul 10, 2005 9:55 pm 
If the weather was decent, I'd carry less than on more remote hikes. I don't think you'd ever be that far from others. At that time of year, help would never be that far away. That may sound like a leach, but most likely, nothing will go wrong. If someone runs out of Snickers or gets a little chilly - oh well. If someone trips and breaks their leg, there will be folks around to help.