Forum Index > Trail Talk > My new backyard
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Otter

Otter
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 10:23 am 
Well, it's official. Marmot and I have found an apartment in Seattle...thus ending his hellish commute to tacoma. Three cheers from his wife! I am looking forward to seeing him for a few more waking hours.... I'm funny that way. So...now we will have a whole new backyard. And after the dust settles from this whirlwind change I think we are going to want to explore it. I'd love to here from all of you... your top choice destination under two hours drive from downtown Seattle. Think more directly east and north or west, since we have spent lots of time south. Looking forward to hearing your favorates!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hodgeman of BC

Hodgeman of BC
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 11:10 am 
Hmmm 2 hours drive?... = Canada! So how was your weekender? Did you manage to get it together, after all?

Otter

Otter
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 11:14 am 
marmot and I met up with Strider and Hiker Boy at trout lake had a nice evening of story telling and catching up with good friends..and sent them on there way Sunday morning...the climbed on up to the other lakes..we went to seattle and found an apartment. Canada! sheesh... I knew i would here that from Hikerboy... but never guessed i would get it from you too! lol! And canada is rarely a two hour drive... it takes at least an hour to get through the traffic between seattle and everett!

Hodgeman of BC

Hodgeman of BC
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 11:58 am 
Otter - I think Hiker Boy and I are practically neighbours...... actually, I'm about 10 miles up the Fraser River, from him. Ya, that Everett- Seattle corridor can be nasty. It took Chas 8 hours to get up here, from Portland, for the Yoho trip, in August, and that was on a Saturday! I never seem to hit it, myself. I guess timing is everything. I usually like to cross the border really early. When I did Montana, in July, I was over the line, at 4am and on the I-90 by 5:45. I didn't even follow another car, until Spokane........ I love your Interstate Highways! I'll be looking forward to getting down your way, soon. I was thinking that I should head down to REI pretty soon. I have some tent shopping to do.

Dante

Dante
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 12:22 pm 
There are some cool short day hikes in seattle. Check out the "Footsore in Puget Sound" books and some of the other guidebooks. Within two hours of Seattle, there's almost too much stuff to list. You've got much of the Stevens Pass Highway, the North and Middle Forks of the Snoqualmie, and the I-90 corridor (not to mention more stuff to the south). If you like lakes, I'd start exploring the Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area. It's literally in your backyard and there are lots of trailheads and jumping off points within two hours of Seattle.

Otter

Otter
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 1:37 pm 
yeah i know there is a ton.. that is why i am asking everyone to give me a couple of their favorates...a shorter list to work off!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 1:50 pm 
How long of a hike are you looking for (round trip)? Elevation gain? Do you mind crowded? Or are you looking for good skinny dip spots?

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 1:56 pm 
Tough getting a short list. Mountain Loop: Mt. Dickerman, Headlee Pass Route 2: Necklace Valley, Lake Dorothy-Dear Lake-Bear Lake I-90: Rampart Ridge, Upper & Lower Wildcat Lake And lots more. BW biggrin.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Dante

Dante
PostWed Sep 25, 2002 1:59 pm 
Well to narrow it down a little further, I like the area around Dutch Miller Gap from the end of the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River Road over to the Cle Ellum River. http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&n=5265989&e=632379&size=m I know that's still a big area you could explore for years. Foss Lakes, Necklace Valley, Circle, Venus and Spade Lakes, etc. etc. Here are a few more ideas: PCT North from Snoqualmie Pass Rampart Ridge High Country around Hyas Lake (may exceed 2 hour drive limit)