Forum Index > Trail Talk > Larch Photos
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostThu Sep 26, 2002 12:48 pm 
It's almost time for my annual Larch hike. With that in mind, I have posted some of my favorite Larch photos from over the years. I would be interested in seeing photos posted from the rest of you as well. Larch Photos

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hodgeman of BC

Hodgeman of BC
PostThu Sep 26, 2002 3:03 pm 
By coincidence, I was just flipping through some photos, of a trip to Mt Assiniboine (on the BC side of Banff). Now that's a place to see larch trees !! I think this is the only one, that I have online. I'll have to do something about that. They are my favorite ingredient, of fall trips! Larch

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Sep 26, 2002 3:44 pm 
I am dying to go to Mt Assinoine Provincial Park. The mountain has such a distinctive look -- great for photos with some snow on the strata -- and I've been very impressed with my limited experience in the Canadian Rockies so far (Jasper and a little bit of Banff). It's just so far away for me. frown.gif How do you pronounce Assiniboine anyway?

Hodgeman of BC

Hodgeman of BC
PostThu Sep 26, 2002 4:04 pm 
LOL... Pretty much how it looks Ass-in-a-boine (The Boine for short). In Stoney Indian, it means "those who cook, by placing hot rocks, in water". It's been referred to, as the Matterhorn of the Rockies..... it does bear a striking resemblance. We were there, in September, of last year, and it is spectacular. The only down side was the 20 mile approach, to the core area, with limited water sources, and camp spots. also, the Boine is to the south, of the core, so you always seem to be shooting, into the sun. The fall colour, there, is awesome!! Trip Report and Photo Gallery

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Sep 26, 2002 4:13 pm 
Nice photos. I want to go back to the Canadian Rockies so bad it's killing me. Looks like I may have a forced unemployment for about 3 months from Jan-March. How difficult would it be to get into Jasper/Banff/Yoho/Kootenay that time of year? I'd love to photograph that area in the snow.

Hodgeman of BC

Hodgeman of BC
PostThu Sep 26, 2002 9:40 pm 
Well..... The parks are all open, in winter. Banff and Japser both have ski areas and plenty of lodges. Getting off the main routes, and into the backcountry definitely means snowshoes, or backcountry skis. There's lots of options, up there, for accomodation..... Hostels, lodges, alpine club huts, etc. There are a couple of campground, that stay open, but we're talkin' serious cold, in January and Febuary, at least. Temps below zero 'f', are common. I would definitely lean toward March, if I were you, but spring doesn't arrive up there, until mid-May, or so.

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 6:51 pm 
JimK

JimK
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 9:21 pm 
Scott, Very nice Larch photos. Are there any more out there?

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Oct 04, 2002 1:11 am 
Michael - I've definitely got the bug too. There's just too much to see up there. I guess my next step is to pick up one of those Henesseys, then off to the back country. Looking at my maps, the Jasper townsite is at 3,487'. So everything will have a copious topping of white stuff (it only gets higher from there). Banff is higher, so that's probably out. At least from a photography standpoint. Winter shots are great, but with as much as it snows up there, there's only so much you can do. The best stuff is all gonna be buried that time of year anyway. down.gif

Hodgeman of BC

Hodgeman of BC
PostFri Oct 04, 2002 5:15 am 
I think the best time to get your winter photos, up there, is right about now. Heck, I was taking snow pics in Yoho, in August, this year. And Jasper in September. But, it's early enough, right now, that everything's not already frozen solid, and most backcountry areas are still accessible. If it's doing anything, at the higher elevations, it's going to be snow.

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostFri Oct 04, 2002 7:36 am 
If you go in the winter you can possibly experience the best skiing in your life. Jasper/Marmot Basin is my faorite skiing destination with Lake Louise a close second. Driving the Icefields Parkway is just as awesome in the winter as in the summer. If you're into ice climbing, this is the place to be! It can get a little cold, it was -30C for about a week the last time I was there in the winter.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Hodgeman of BC

Hodgeman of BC
PostFri Oct 04, 2002 8:44 am 
HB - I've never skied Marmot. Guess I'll have to check it out. So, Lake Louise is my #1, in the Rockies. Last time up, we did a couple of days, at Louise, and a couple at Sunshine. It had snowed every day, in January, with temps around -25c. The day we arrived the sun came out and it warmed up to -7. It had snowed 90cm, in the previous couple of days. Perfect !! Ya know how the wind, at Louise, like to blow all of the powder, off the top and into the back bowl. It was waist deep back there. Absolutely incredible !! Best ski trip I ever had !!

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Oct 04, 2002 9:10 pm 
Unfortunately, road trips are out right now. My contract runs out on Jan 1, and I'll have 100 days off before my next one starts up (unless I get a full time job before then), so I'm thinking road trip then. Since I won't be able to see the family is Texas for Christmas, I was thinking of heading down there in Feb and spending a week or so in Utah and Arizona in the snow. I bet Monument Valley in the winter is just incredible. All depends on the money situation, though. huh.gif