Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Beckey Question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostMon May 17, 2004 3:13 pm 
Why was he making first accents in the 1940's? How did he avoid World War II? confused.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 17, 2004 3:17 pm 
He was a teenager, eventualy served in the 10th Mountain Division (no woosie outfit).

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Odonata

Odonata
PostMon May 17, 2004 3:57 pm 
If I remember correctly, he started climbing in the now ALW when he was around 13.

reststep

reststep
PostTue May 18, 2004 12:50 pm 
Beckey Biography

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostTue May 18, 2004 6:41 pm 
Thats a good article, thanks for sharing it.

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostFri May 21, 2004 8:33 am 
Yes, liked the article. I wonder where he's going this weekend...

Nothing I can sing will bring you back. Not the songs of a hundred horses running until they become wind. Not the personal song of the rain who makes love to the earth.
justybug
henteaser

justybug
henteaser
PostSat Jul 02, 2005 12:29 pm 
one of the guys i work with turned me on to the Beckey guides. what an amazing guy, can't believe he's still out there, and could outclimb me without breaking a sweat... doh.gif

kenya believe it?? "Time is so everything doesn't happen at once. Space is so everything doesn't happen to you."
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostSat Jul 02, 2005 8:25 pm 
I liked the chapter on him in Timothy Egan's The Good Rain too.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 03, 2005 11:32 pm 
One *could* argue that the Becky guides have contributed severely to an over use of the ALW and other areas. The same as the Harvey books have. There certainly is evidence of this. Just a thought.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 12:47 pm 
Or you could say that had he not infused enthusiasm into climbing that alot of areas wouldn't have been used and therefore would have been abused or mistreated. Interest in nature can protect as well as endanger it.

Nothing I can sing will bring you back. Not the songs of a hundred horses running until they become wind. Not the personal song of the rain who makes love to the earth.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 1:09 pm 
newdawnfades wrote:
Or you could say that had he not infused enthusiasm into climbing that alot of areas wouldn't have been used and therefore would have been abused or mistreated. Interest in nature can protect as well as endanger it.
Come on you're kidding right? If not for Becky's guides many many places never would have seen people at best, and at worst would certainly see way less traffic. It's the exact same senario when you think of the impact on the Alpine Lakes the Harvey guides have had. The 101 hikes books have brought some serious destruction to that Alpine Lakes.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 2:17 pm 
I have to think that there's a difference between Beckey and Manning. The routes described by Beckey have a built-in deterrent, just due to the nature of the travel and the fact that it's hard to damage snow and rock. On the other hand, guide books like "109 Meadows to Stomp in the You Name It" surely concentrate impact. It's easy to see when an area has been loved to death. It's not so easy to see the social benefits that communities derive from wilderness recreation. I never feel less like shooting my nextdoor neighbor than when I've just returned from a backpack. I benefit from getting out. So does everyone I come in contact with. I'd rather see people use the natural resources that we're lucky enough to have.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 3:51 pm 
I do not really think those particular authors creat the use. Society has changed since the 1950's when the only folks who went up in the hills were hunters, fishermen, loggers and miners. If Manning and Becky had not wrote the books and The Mountaineers published them someone else would have. There are many guides to the Sierra for example. Beckey in particular has had a minor effect. Manning is probably been responsible for preserving more areas at the cost of somewhat greater use, he acknowledges this and has no regrets. It is likely the Cascades would have been logged to treeline without the efforts of Manning, and the Springs tongue.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Frank

Frank
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 6:10 pm 
Beckys brother
What ever happened to Beckys brother?

polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Jul 05, 2005 6:56 pm 
Quote:
It is likely the Cascades would have been logged to treeline without the efforts of Manning, and the Springs
I think that is correct. I also think the guide books have reallyhelped create a better wilderness ethos. There are alot of people applying the take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints philosphy.