Forum Index > Trip Reports > Larrabee
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Oren
Grampa Murphy

Oren
Grampa Murphy
PostMon Jul 25, 2005 6:42 am 
THe weekend started at the Mt. Baker area. I was going to make a photo day of it and see the sites since I've never covered this ground before. My first stop was at Picture Lake and then up to Artist Point. From there I took the Chain Lake Loop which consisted of Mazama, Iceberg, Galena and Bagley lakes. It started out with no views but soon cleared up to a beautiful morning. By the time I got back to the parking lot it was full so I headed to Twin lakes thinking I would find a little more solitude there. The last two miles of the road is rough. There was an oil trail going up and as I got half way up a Ford Explorer came backing down with a hole in his oil pan. Probably just going too fast. So much for the solitude at the lakes. A couple was getting married so there were people everywhere. I spent the rest of the afternoon with my bottom lip protruding. I did a little exploring and when all was said and done I settled in with thoughts of Larrabee in the morning. With a nearing full moon I started out just before 5:00am. At High pass I took the trail down to Gargett mine and from there off trail strait up the slope to the south face of Larrabee. I've read a few trip reports telling about the choss but I was a little surprised at the amount of rubble the mountain consisted off. I'm glad I was climbing alone and there was no one else on the mountain because I sent a lot of rock downhill. All in all great views. There is a register now.
Baker & Iceberg
The last 300'
Tomyhoi
Larrabee from low pass

Long since I've been amongst majestic peaks nor side mirrored lakes where awe so speaks. Blanketed valleys the dawn awakes and blinking stars to fade. My soul is called to see these things, the Hand of God has made.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message