Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wallace Falls, Wallace Falls State Park (7/23)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Jul 23, 2005 9:59 pm 
Location : State Rt. 2, 2 miles NE of Gold Bar Guidebook : 55 Hikes around Stevens Pass Maps : Available for free at entrance to TH Stats : 6 miles roundtrip with 1700' elevation gain / loss This was a easy trip I had seen and would probably done in time, but with relatives visiting from the East I decided to do the dayhike with them. The weather was comfortable , skies mostly sunny, slight haze, but surrounding peaks in the area awesome. The trail begins from the parking lot as a level graded stone path and in about 1/2 mile the official trail, The Woody Trail begins, dirt with some roots and occasional stone steps. It undulates through 2nd generation cool forest with a good canopy so that was nice on a hot day. Not many people there as I thought looking at guidebook references. There are 3 different waterfall sections (lower, middle, upper) and interpretative loop, you can at the highest waterfall take a more primitive trail and hit an old RR grade that will loop back and take you to Wallace, Jay, and Shaw Lakes. We did not go that route, our trip was an in and out on the Woody Trail due to some small guys with little hiking experience. It turned out well. The kids saw two black bears, one up a tree and one on a slope nearby, saw the falls, played in the river. up.gif Hannah my older daughter and I were racing through the forest at times, this would make a good jogging route / loop. hockeygrin.gif http://community.webshots.com/album/402715510mEdVUe

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostSun Jul 24, 2005 10:31 am 
That is fantastic they got to see some black bears up.gif Sounds like it was a great little family outing and a nice and easy trail. I am sure you had no problem outfitting the group with gear. (will we ever stop teasing you about this tongue.gif )

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jul 24, 2005 11:38 am 
Well you should, but it doesn't matter, I just bought before everyone arrived 400.00 plus of new camelbak bladders and hydration packs for hiking, biking and running to replace the ones destroyed by the thirsty mouse, now deceased. up.gif Got Gear lol.gif It will be nice though when the vacations out here are over. hockeygrin.gif

Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostSun Jul 24, 2005 11:44 am 
The meme to all out-of-town guests and potential visitors is that "it rains here all the time." Except in Wenatchee and Kennewick. cool.gif

Let me stand next to your fire
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jul 24, 2005 11:49 am 
Everyone comes out and says I want to see NCNP, ONP, MRNP and I think that they think the state is the size of Rhode Island ! hmmm.gif

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostSun Jul 24, 2005 1:09 pm 
Stones wrote:
The meme to all out-of-town guests and potential visitors is that "it rains here all the time." Except in Wenatchee and Kennewick. cool.gif
which is partially true.. we dont get enough rain way over here in the desert.

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley