Forum Index > Support & Feedback > How to include images in your posts
Previous :: Next Topic  
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 10:08 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
If you want to post an image, you'll need a photo host or website.  Not to worry!  If you don't have a photo host we recommend using flickr to post images here.  Why?  They offer free accounts with plenty of storage and we've made it very easy to include images in your posts (see below).

flickr.com
- upload the image to flickr (we recommend using the desktop uploader for this and having it automatically resize to 2048 pixels - if you don't resize, your uploads will take longer)
- position your cursor where you want the image to display in your post
- just above where you post a message, select flickr in the drop down, enter your flickr username or email in the box to the right, then click on the "Pics" button
- click on the photos you want to include in your post
- that's it! (alternatively, paste the URL of the image in your post)
- note: if your flickr username or email doesn't work then enter the xxxxxxxx@yyy that appears here under "useful values" (you must be logged in to flickr to see this) and make sure your photos are not hidden from third party sites

flickr notes:
- the description you give the image at flickr will be displayed with the image
- you can override the flickr description by appending =some other description after the URL in your post
- if you change the description at flickr, you will need to edit and re-submit your post here to refresh it

Google photos
- upload the image to google photos and put it in an album
- click the option at google photos to share your album and copy the link
- just above where you post a message, select google album (instead of flickr), paste the link to your album in the box to the right, then click on the "Pics" button
- that's it! (alternatively, use the Picasa options for albums created before July 2016)
- warning: do not use any other method for google photos!  This is the only way to embed permanent links (other methods such as right click get the image link will result in expiring image links).

Picasa
- upload the image to picasa and put it in an album
- just above where you post a message, select picasa (instead of flickr), enter your picasa username or google email in box to the right, then click on the "Pics" button
- select an album, then click on the photos you want to include in your post
- that's it! (alternatively, see below)
- note: if you are missing some albums make sure your albums are public (or temporarily make them public).  For albums created after July 2016 you must use google photos.

SmugMug
- upload the image to SmugMug
- just above where you post a message, select SmugMug (instead of flickr), enter your username in the box to the right, then click on the "Pics" button
- that's it! (alternatively, see below)

facebook
- Unfortunately you can't embed facebook photos here (they will "expire" after some period of time resulting in broken image links for all your facebook photos).  facebook is an arrogant company that would rather force everyone to view content on facebook than give you the option to share your content outside facebook. down.gif

ImageShack (we no longer recommend or support this awful host)

All other websites (including photobucket, websh#ts, imagestation, dropbox, etc.)
- just above where you post a message, click on the IMG button, paste the URL of the image, then OK
- that's it!
- to add an image description, use the following format: [img]url[/img]=some description

note for dropbox users: be sure to replace https://www.dropbox.com with https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 10:25 pm 
climbed observation rock   which is the peak just in front of Rainier. this was taken at 6 am while haveing coffe in camp
climbed observation rock   which is the peak just in front of Rainier. this was taken at 6 am while haveing coffe in camp

thanks tom
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 10:26 pm 
See, piece of cake wasn't it? hockeygrin.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 10:27 pm 
Tom wrote:
See, piece of cake wasn't it? hockeygrin.gif

if I can do it any one can embarassedlaugh.gif
thanks
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 10:41 pm 
Best of all, I won't need to send daily PMs to those who upload large images on our server after neglecting to read the attachment guidelines. biggrin.gif

Give it a whirl.  It's easy, and now you can put pictures wherever you want in a post, not to mention post as many as you want.  Just don't overdo it. paranoid.gif
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 11:06 pm 
So what happens if flickr.com gets bought out by photomugopoly.net.  Do all the links become toast, or do they get preserved somehow?

--------------
...and a window that looks out on Corcovado...  Corcovado Hill
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 21, 2005 11:35 pm 
flickr.com was recently acquired by Yahoo, so it's relatively safe from photomugopoly.net.
Slugman
Slower than ever

Slugman
Slower than ever
PostFri Jul 22, 2005 1:03 am 
Lately I've been trying to limit myself to linking the two pics they allow at WTA, this will be a major upgrade, nice job Thomas!

Edit: I just joined flickr, took like two minutes, very cool. Thanks again.

--------------
Just another tequila sunrise....
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostFri Jul 22, 2005 2:22 am 
Slugman wrote:

I just joined flickr, took like two minutes, very cool.

ditto.gif  This was easy and self explanatory - Thanks for the link, Tom.
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostFri Jul 22, 2005 1:26 pm 
Let me try!

Our new neighbor
Our new neighbor

By the way, I love the "don't overdo it" bit. I'm going to post links to my entire photo collection, now! eyes.gif

--------------
"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged."    - Virginia Woolf
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jul 22, 2005 2:09 pm 
polecatjoe, you may want to resize your pictures before uploading or you'll eat thru your 20MB monthly upload limit very quickly.
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostFri Jul 22, 2005 2:45 pm 
Thanks, I think I have a handle on it now. Perhaps if I had read ALL of the instructions in the first place...

--------------
"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged."    - Virginia Woolf
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Jul 24, 2005 4:41 pm 
Let's see if this works.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=28308812&size=s

Nope.    frown.gif

--------------
Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jul 24, 2005 4:50 pm 
Scrooge, I think the URL should look something like these:

Code:
http://photos23.flickr.com/28086619_3a2111f76e_m.jpg

or

Code:
http://photos23.flickr.com/28086619_3a2111f76e_s.jpg

gives

Ponds
Ponds

or

Ponds
Ponds

--------------
...and a window that looks out on Corcovado...  Corcovado Hill
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 25, 2005 9:22 am 
Scrooge wrote:
Let's see if this works.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=28308812&size=s

Nope.    frown.gif

Scrooge, it looks like you posted the URL of the webpage, not the picture.  Right click on the picture (then properties) to get the URL.

Reflection in tarn below Yellow Aster Butte
Reflection in tarn below Yellow Aster Butte
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Support & Feedback > How to include images in your posts
  Happy Birthday loudscoutii, dawgTE, Merlin!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: