Forum Index > Trip Reports > Canoe Pk.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Sep 28, 2002 5:26 pm 
Canoe is the unofficial name for Pt. 5706 which lies about 1 mile to the east of Bare Mtn. The name "Canoe" is probably a play on words as the northern slopes drain into Lake Kanim which is Chinook for "canoe". I approached the mountain by hiking the Bare Mtn trail to 4900' and then going north to connect with the saddle. I dropped down and traversed on talus to the north of Pt. 5310. Then I went through the saddle between 5310 and 5449 and continued on talus and then the forested ridge which goes east easily to the summit. A small register was placed last June by Don and Natala G. The descent route was to drop to Bear Lakes and then connect with the forgotten trail that leads to the mines and then back to the fork with the Bare Mtn trail at about 3500'. Many thanks to Catwoman for brushing the trail earlier this summer. Someone had also clipped away branches on the Bear Basin trail this summer.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostSat Sep 28, 2002 7:41 pm 
Pk 5706
"Mystery Card Mtn" is the name we gave Pt 5706 during a 3-day snowshoe outing up to Bare Basin in December 1972. That was one steep wallow up to Bear Lakes from our deluxe camp in the miners bunkhouse. The big iron cookstove and dry wooden bunks made the 18-hour winter nights not-so-bad. I think the moniker for Pk 5706 came about as a result of one too many marathon crazy eights games by candle lantern. The last time I hiked thru the basin, several pieces of aircraft aluminum were set alongside the trail at the site of the old cabin. I suspect that the rest of the plane is not too far off....most likely somewhere up along the lower reaches of the horseshoe-cliffs.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Sep 28, 2002 8:00 pm 
Lopper, I mentioned in the Airplane Crashes thread about the cowling and other aluminum airplane pieces which I saw today. So was the mining bunkhouse still standing in 1972? It is smashed to the ground now. How far have you walked into the mines. I left my headlamp at home today and only walked in about 40 feet.

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostSun Sep 29, 2002 3:45 pm 
Mike, yes the bunkhouse was in good shape in 1972. The entry was via a small covered porch on the north side. The eastern 1/3 of the structure was a storage room filled with old equipment and firewood. On the bunk-room table was a visitors' register and the windows still had all their glass. Six roomy bunks on the west wall. The rats came out at night. We had to hang our food from the rafters. There was a certain amount of sport to be had by flashlighting the rodents--- and trying to hit them with drill bits. It was great to have a 15" snowfall overnight and not even know it. It is too bad that the building is gone. In 1972, there was another structure in the neighborhood......the 14' by 14' lookout building on the summit of Bare Mtn. I've only been about 50 feet into the lower of the two adits on the north side of the cirque.

-lol-

-lol-
PostSun Sep 29, 2002 5:18 pm