Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Rude Behavior at campgrounds
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Arginine

Arginine
PostTue May 02, 2006 12:09 pm 
Last weekend we (my family and another) camped out at Deception Pass state park. All went well, after the rain stopped, until around midnight. At that time another campsite erupted into a major party that lasted several hours until it seemed as though a ranger drove by. Can anyone recommend what to do in this situation? Approaching the culprits does not work in my experience. Also, what the hell is wrong with these people? Are they so self-centered that they can't realize someone might want to sleep at night. Its a nice park but apparently too close to civilization and may have lost our business.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostTue May 02, 2006 12:44 pm 
Hehe... Tossing M80s into their campfire. guns.gif

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue May 02, 2006 1:38 pm 
Chuck Cerveny wrote:
Are they so self-centered that they can't realize someone might want to sleep at night.
Yes.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Don

Don
PostTue May 02, 2006 2:51 pm 
We had the same problem down on the Oregon Coast. Worst part was that most participants drove off in the wee hours - meaning they weren't even camping at the site! We did nothing for the same reason as you. However we awoke early and packed the loudest we have ever packed in our lives. Things were dropped, clattered, banged, etc. Voices were loud. The car horn accidently got honked a couple of times (facing their direction), and most importantly, the car door had to be slammed after each item was loaded agree.gif

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostTue May 02, 2006 3:23 pm 
My suggestion would be not to go to the busiest state park in Washington.

Nothing I can sing will bring you back. Not the songs of a hundred horses running until they become wind. Not the personal song of the rain who makes love to the earth.
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue May 02, 2006 11:03 pm 
Don wrote:
However we awoke early and packed the loudest we have ever packed in our lives. Things were dropped, clattered, banged, etc. Voices were loud. The car horn accidently got honked a couple of times (facing their direction), and most importantly, the car door had to be slammed after each item was loaded agree.gif
I've done the same thing. Bolt out of the sack at the crack of dawn and get really loud. Turn the radio on, bang the breakfast dishes around. Yell at each other. Ok, it's petty. But if they ruined your sleep, you can turn around and ruin theirs!

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed May 03, 2006 7:20 am 
jenjen wrote:
Bolt out of the sack at the crack of dawn and get really loud. Turn the radio on, bang the breakfast dishes around. Yell at each other.
State park? Heck, that sounds like home on the first morning of a derailed weekend backpacking trip. crybaby.gif

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostWed May 03, 2006 7:55 am 
Revenge is good but if there are more people around than just the noisy people then you'll wind up disturbing them just like the original noisemakers were disturbing you and the other considerate people. I doubt the other nice people would be disturbed by the quiet hiss of air leaving tires.

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostWed May 03, 2006 9:08 am 
Never underestimate the usefulness of a rubber snake.

Nothing I can sing will bring you back. Not the songs of a hundred horses running until they become wind. Not the personal song of the rain who makes love to the earth.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 03, 2006 3:12 pm 
You could toss a could grenades in their camp! Unfortunately this speaks to a much larger problem. People don't know how to act anymore. People (often in general) aren't polite or considerate. Did you ever hear of "Road rage" prior to the 80's? Parents taught their children to be polite and respectful in the past. You very rarely hear "excuse me, I beg your pardon, forgive me, I'm sorry" any more. I bet I get a thank you about one out of ten times that I hold a door open for women anymore. This speaks to a much larger problem . You cant confront them and expect anything other than the middle finger. To expect otherwise presupposes that they give a crap in the first place. If they did they'd have been respectful of the POSSIBILITY that there were others in the vicinity that they should have been considerate of in the first place! Of course if one in your party happened to be a police officer you would have had some power, but otherwise... Eh... Sorry, but you should have moved from the area.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Don

Don
PostWed May 03, 2006 6:19 pm 
BPJ, I agree wholeheartedly.

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostFri May 05, 2006 2:35 am 
ahhh to be young and stupid and even obnoxious again
There is the little part of me that remembers being young, self-centered and having so much fun that it happened to be loud. Now when it is pissing me off, I try to remember that noise is often the unfortunate by product of youthful excitement, not an intentional assault on my sleep. Worst case scenario I ask them for a shot of whatever they are drinking to wash down a Tylenol PM... Chanting 'at least I'm not at work' to yourself may help too.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 05, 2006 2:41 am 
the lykkens wrote:
There is the little part of me that remembers being young, self-centered and having so much fun that it happened to be loud. Now when it is pissing me off, I try to remember that noise is often the unfortunate by product of youthful excitement, not an intentional assault on my sleep. Worst case scenario I ask them for a shot of whatever they are drinking to wash down a Tylenol PM... Chanting 'at least I'm not at work' to yourself may help too.
While I'm not going to argue your point, I disagree. Youth is no excuse for disrespectful behavior!!! We aren't talking about the Middle Fork here. This was a state camp ground where they could certainly have expected multiple families trying to enjoy themselves! The issue is rudeness and a "middle finger" attitude amongst to many people in our society today.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostFri May 05, 2006 2:46 am 
oooh, that same type of constant vigilance and self control we always see from posters here... BPJoe, it's good to see that after my being away for several years, you are still here to 'not argue' my point. i felt i could not really be back without baiting you a bit, smile.gif -Jo

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 05, 2006 4:06 am 
Hey, isnt it good to know that there are things in life that you can count on?!?!?!?! up.gif hockeygrin.gif moon.gif doh.gif moon.gif up.gif hockeygrin.gif