Forum Index > Gear Talk > Old school hiking boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fool on the hill

Fool on the hill
PostSat Jul 23, 2005 6:25 pm 
Call me old fashioned if you must, or just plain old if you wish, but I'm still not soled wink.gif on the idea of glued together boots. Seems like the old style boots are getting hard to find and are quite expensive. Has anybody seen or heard of these boots before? http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442498751&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302733535&bmUID=1122156275004 Might be just what I need. One thing that I've always wondered is why high top boots like my current 8" Danner's aren't popular with backpackers but are favored by hunters and hunting guides... But I'm getting off my original topic. I need boots. Good boots. My Danners don't fit me well enough for a day of walking. My heel slips up and down yet my toes are pinched together. Would some of the newer glued-up types be a better fit than old traditional Norwegian welts? I wish there was a good shoe store here in town.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jul 23, 2005 6:48 pm 
Havent heard of them, but good luck to you if you try them.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Fool on the hill

Fool on the hill
PostSat Jul 23, 2005 7:35 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Thanks, I may try them out but I'm not quite sure if I want to risk it via mail order. I've just noticed via the net that a dealer in the next city north of me carries not only Danner but Meindl as well... I see a short road trip for gear in my near future banana.gif The quest for the perfect boot continues.

Fool on the hill

Fool on the hill
PostSat Jul 23, 2005 10:27 pm 
The plot thickens... I found a website for the maker of Gronell boots... But they don't seem to have them listed as per MEC.ca is offering. http://www.gronell.it/index.htm Looks like a good read for gear junkies anyhow.

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostSun Jul 24, 2005 2:54 am 
have you tried other danner models? lately i've been using a pair of danner explorers (smooth-out full-grain leather uppers, gore-tex lining, vibram outsoles), i have duck feet (wide toes, narrow heel) and they have been fantastic for me, not a single blister during the first 60 miles smile.gif not a true norwegian welt, i think danner uses what they used to call goodyear welting but i'm not certain of that... more flexible than my old raichle's but they weigh almost a pound less. sometimes, that's a good thing. gronell is an old italian brand, like alinco. their stuff is good, but super-heavy-duty and definitely not lightweight.. but if you have tender feet and need the protection, they're a good choice. my problem with modern boots really has nothing to do with the construction, it has to do with the way they fit... i need boots that fit like boots, not like tennis shoes or cross-trainers.. most modern boot designs i've tried have little or no ankle support which i badly need for my lousy feet....

overmywaders

overmywaders
PostSun Jul 24, 2005 7:07 am 
Fool, Here is a spreadsheet with all of the available "Old School" boots I could find. The boots included are Leather, Norwegian Welt, Goodyear Welt, or Littleway Stitched, heavy-duty one-piece leather uppers, leather lining --- and no GTX. Definitely, delightfully, "old school". Best regards, Reed 📎NORWEGIAN WELT, LEATHER LINED, HEAVY-DUTY HIKING BOOTS.xls (23 KB)

wbs

wbs
PostSun Jul 24, 2005 10:21 am 
I'd second the Danner Mtn. Lights. I had a pair in the late 80's and they were nice all leather, stitched sole "traditional boots" when fitted w/ aftermarket insoles to provide better arch. Unfortunately, they are not stocked in many places (REI stopped carrying them yrs ago). I did a quick search on the dealers on Danner's site and only ones in BC were Vancouver. The LLBean North Col looks strikingly similar to the Danners. Though I can't personally attest to their pros or cons. Though it can be tricky to purchase online, LLBean does have a decent return policy. http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=32406&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4545&cat4=2763&shop_method=pp&feat=dp26 Good Luck on your quest smile.gif

overmywaders

overmywaders
PostSun Jul 24, 2005 12:18 pm 
I just got a pair of Danner "6490" -- the predecessor to the Danner Mt. Trail, later the Danner Mt. Light. What Danner sells now, the Mt. Light II has Goretex and Cambrelle Nylon rather than the soft leather lining of the original. They've also gone for a darker color on the leather, in order, I assume, to cover blems. Best regards, Reed www.overmywaders.com

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostMon Jul 25, 2005 10:52 am 
Scarpa made three off trail/mountain Norwegian Welt boots; they still make one called the Rio. The discontinued models are the Edwardo and one model up, a pure mountain boot, which is exactly like the design of the model you are looking at now. If memory serves me it would be over 3mm thick leather, at least half steel shank, leather interior, reinforced toe box, and my Edwardo’s took a full year to fit like a glove. To date it is the best boot I ever had. Just remember to clean the leather interiors from time to time to get the salt out to prevent the lining from cracking and buy a full size large. Also, invest in a good set of cedar boot trees. I would email the company if you have questions, they have a cool web sit and the music they play is soothing.

Dante

Dante
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 12:08 pm 
Scarpas have 2.7mm to 2.9mm leather. See the attachment to my previous post. Good looking boots up.gif

kraitcatcher

kraitcatcher
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 5:05 pm 
Hello, wow!here we go again!but this is a topic I love,some time back it got a lot of interest and it seems that it is still that way. I am like you,I was introduced to backpacking in the boy scouts,back in 70'-73',and my first pair of "backpacking boots"were a very heavy,bomb proof,norwegian constructed,laced to the toe's Rachel's.It was a love hate thing,but today,I still prefer that kind of boot. It was on this site that I was able to get the boots I wear today,Montrail Mazamas,paid $110 in next to new condition,when they were still being sold,they were$250.At size 9 they weigh in at a hefty 5.6 lbs,have nickel hardware,3mm thick leather uppers 1/2 steel shank.these are great boots and I consider them as one the most valuable things I own,they are carry on luggage with me when I fly to a hiking destination as I don't trust them in checked baggage,I can replace my pack but not my boots. I also own a pair of LLBean North Col Hikers which I love,these are a bit lighter and smaller in overall size,but they need as much break in time as the mazamas,which is considerable and you must invest in good insioles for both boots,but it is well worth the effort,as these will give you great protection on the trail,no matter how rough it gets.I tend to use the Mazamas when carrying heavy loads,over 25 lbs,and on rough terrain,the North cols are much better for just day hiking or moderate loads.Both are excellent boots. I was going to buy a pair of Gronels before the Mazama deal came a long,but I thought they were only available in Canada?If you can get a pair state side,I would get them,but don't forget the "red" boot laces,[i]if you can dig where thats coming from.[i]regards,James

currently looking for backpacking partners for next may for a week in the trinity alps,asnd some other trips and help on a book that will involve tons of camping
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 8:17 pm 
My SL M3 boots are 2.7 mm and my Edwardos are 3.0 mm thick chromed tanned Sherpa Leather. No pee wee 2.9 mm leather there!

jackchinook

jackchinook
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 10:15 pm 
I was going to buy some Scarpa Rios not too long ago but could find nobody in the whole PNW that stocked them. I got ahold of the local Scarpa Rep who told me I'd need to order them direct from Scarpa USA (Vermont, maybe?) and suggested I hurried as they too were to be discontinued. He then suggested that I not give up on the glued soles as they were vastly improved over older versions and that the glue was indeed better than it used to be...hence the discontinuation. I broke down and bought some Raichles that are glued and am quite happy so far, about 6 months into them. Ask me in a couple years though, perhaps I'll sing a different tune.

Me Too

Me Too
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 11:01 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I totally agree. I've never heard of them, but wish you the best, and I hope you have a really nice day. smile.gif

salish

salish
PostWed Jul 27, 2005 7:30 am 
kraitcatcher wrote:
It was on this site that I was able to get the boots I wear today,Montrail Mazamas,paid $110 in next to new condition,when they were still being sold,they were$250.At size 9 they weigh in at a hefty 5.6 lbs,have nickel hardware,3mm thick leather uppers 1/2 steel shank.
James, I was part of that original thread along wth you, Joe, and others. I have the Alico Guides and am happy with them, but they are heavy (like my Raichle Rotondos). I use them for hunting the steep canyons of central Washington all winter long. Were you the one who was looking at purchasing a pair of custom made Van Gorkum boots from B.C.? Seems like it was you, but maybe not. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.