Forum Index > Trip Reports > “NWHikers Traveling Summit Register”
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostTue Sep 09, 2008 9:22 pm 
Current status of the NWHTSR Awaits you on Sauk Mountain Old Log Book(s): - July 23rd, 2005 - April 26th, 2009 Previously on: (map)
  1. Poe Mountain
  2. Whittier Peak
  3. Gothic Peak
  4. Kendall Peak
  5. Huckleberry Mountain
  6. Alaska Mountain
  7. Kendall Peak
  8. Bryant Peak
  9. Yellow Aster Butte
  10. Terrace Mountain
  11. Trico
  12. McClellan Butte
  13. Hi Box
  14. Spring Mountain
  15. Breccia
  16. Tumac
  17. American Ridge
  18. Alaska Mountain
  19. Stilliguamish Peak
  20. Mount Forgotten
  21. Bogachiel Peak
  22. Welch Peaks
  23. Pyramid Mountain
  24. Granite Mountain (Wenatchee Mountains)
  25. Red Mountain (Snoqualmie Pass North)
  26. Floating Rock
  27. Galleon Peak
  28. Granite Mountain (Snoqualmie Pass North)
  29. Mt. Aix
  30. Puffer Butte
  31. Whitestone Rock
  32. Wapaloosie Mountain
  33. Antoine Peak
  34. Day Mountain (Mount Spokane State Park)
  35. Sauer's Mountain
  36. Putrid Pete's Peak
  37. Mailbox Peak
  38. Mount Teneriffe
  39. Rock Mountain
  40. Granite Mountain (Snoqualmie Pass North)
  41. Mount Kent
  42. Spark Plug
  43. Antler Peak, MRNP
  44. Dege Peak
  45. Crystal Mountain (Silver King) (The King)
  46. Mt. Forgotten
  47. Boulder Top Spire (Sherpani)
  48. Mac Peak (AWOL)
NWHTSR #2 1. Sauk Mountain

Wiki summmary last edited by veronika on Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:27 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostSun Aug 07, 2005 7:37 am 
It would appear, from looking at the TNAB site, that the NWHTSR is on its way to Red Mtn. What would happen if some one hijacked it while in transit? BTW, Good job Mark, was Hichen with you on this trip. He mentioned that you guys where going to do Del Campo. Did plans change?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostSun Aug 07, 2005 10:37 am 
Hehe - can't trust the schedule on the site. We already did Red!biggrin.gif Suffice to say, it's heading south, to somewhere off I-90. And yes, you can blame this on Hichen. Too bad you already bagged DC, it'd been cool if you had joined us. TR forthcoming...

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostFri Aug 12, 2005 8:25 am 
NWHTSR Now on Kendall Peak
It was a somewhat dismal, overcast day when TNAB headed for Kendall Peak. May, or early June, I can tolerate this kind of weather...but August? Fine, we'll go hiking anyway. Chris, Damon and Mark were on the scene by 6:00 PM. The plan was to take Commonwealth Basin, then catch the PCT up to Kendall. The "alternate" route has been sufficiently blocked into extinction. frown.gif The trail out of Commonwealth Basin is in fine condition, although a little dusty in spots. The spiders are working way too fast these days, however. The temps stayed cool throughout - I barely broke a sweat. It didn't seem right. Somehow, we ended up heading for Red Mountain again, but fortunately we turned around for corrective measure before significant damage could be done. What time we saved by traveling the Commonwealth Basin vs. the PCT had been erased. All that was left was to slog it out on the PCT ot Kendall Peak. It was well after 8:00 PM when we finally got to trail up to Kendall Peak. Amazingly, we could see large patches of blue sky above the summit. Summit fever set in quickly. The terrain steep and slippery with loose dirt and rock. Still, a nice change from the leviathan-sized switches we had just traveled. We gained the summit by 8:30 PM, just in time to witness the racing fog beneath us and an outstanding sunset. With all the pomp and circumstance TNAB can muster (ummm, not much), we placed the NW Hikers Traveling Summit Register atop Kendall (www.nwhikers.net), and laid it down next to the Kendall-specific one. (I had retrieved the register from Gothic Peak just last Saturday). Our stay at the summit was shortened by decidedly unsummerly breeze that threatened to freeze my hands. We were back on the PCT by 9:00 PM. It was only then that I realized that I hadn't included what peak the register was on now. Acck! ***So, please, next NWHiker, enter Kendall Peak into the log (as of 8/11/05), and then put the NWHTSR into motion! Can't wait to see where it ends up next...*** Back on the PCT, we began a very loooong hike out, punctuated by a couple thunder rumbles. A short, light rain fell, but not near enough to cause problems. It was past 11:00 PM when we finally returned to the car. Still, a very nice hike that will definitely be on the docket for next year! Pics to follow...

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Aug 12, 2005 8:47 am 
up.gif up.gif up.gif I wish I lived closer so I could play the register game too frown.gif oh well...... it is still fun to read about it here. thanks for the TR Mark smile.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Aug 12, 2005 7:43 pm 
Tazz & Mania wrote:
up.gif up.gif up.gif I wish I lived closer so I could play the register game too frown.gif oh well...... it is still fun to read about it here. thanks for the TR Mark smile.gif
Heya, weren't you just up in the Pickettts? Just reach out and grab the register as you drive by. hmmm.gif

Wes
Big Foote

Wes
Big Foote
PostSat Aug 13, 2005 11:50 am 
I was at Kendall Peak yesterday and someone already grabbed the Traveling Summit register, assuming it was next to the official register which I signed. Someone named Stefan was the only person to sign the log after the TNAB entry to I'm assuming he got it. I was a nice hike though, and I actually continued over to Alaska lake area before coming back down.

Tazz

Tazz
PostSat Aug 13, 2005 11:57 am 
oh this is fun! who has it now? or did it get tossed like other disapearing registers? hmmmm lol.gif great idea NB up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Aug 13, 2005 12:54 pm 
With Stefan it might end up on Mckinley by days end !

Living in the Anthropocene
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 9:13 am 
Wildernessed --- you do not know how close your guess was! The register is now on ALASKA MOUNTAIN. In fact, I had no idea the register was placed on Kendall Peak. To my surprise on Friday, I saw it there. I then took it. I then surmounted Huckleberry Mountain with the register, signed it, and then brought the register back to Alaska Mountain, and placed it there. Yes, I know it is not that much further away, but I had no idea when the next time I was going to be out....I hope to see that thing again!

Art is an adventure.
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 10:12 pm 
NWHTSR Gains Momentum...
Wow. less than a day on Kendall. Sweet! Here are some pics from Kendall last Thursday. The cloud movement below us was quite dramatic.
Damon and Chris with the registers on Kendall
Damon and Chris with the registers on Kendall
Audition for the "Sound of Music"
Audition for the "Sound of Music"
Above the clouds (barely!)
Above the clouds (barely!)
Sunset from Kendall
Sunset from Kendall
Looking forward to the next installment!

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 7:56 am 
up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 8:53 am 
Stefan wrote:
Wildernessed --- you do not know how close your guess was! The register is now on ALASKA MOUNTAIN. In fact, I had no idea the register was placed on Kendall Peak. To my surprise on Friday, I saw it there. I then took it. I then surmounted Huckleberry Mountain with the register, signed it, and then brought the register back to Alaska Mountain, and placed it there. Yes, I know it is not that much further away, but I had no idea when the next time I was going to be out....I hope to see that thing again!
I was wondering how long it would take for you to get your hands on it. rolleyes.gif If this had been a game of keepaway, we have all failed! embarassedlaugh.gif

Ebrace life!
naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostSun Aug 21, 2005 7:19 pm 
The NWHTSR is no longer on the summit of Alaska Mtn. It is now in my possession and I will post a detailed report soon. BTW, You may find Stefan's report for Huckleberry Mtn. and Alaska Mtn. at The Peakbaggers Asylum. From the main page click on The Home Court List > then List of 100 highest peaks > scroll down to # 24 Huckleberry and over to the right side and click on 243.

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Aug 21, 2005 8:31 pm 
Nice shots Mesahchie Mark. up.gif up.gif

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostMon Aug 22, 2005 4:10 pm 
First off, I’d like to apologize for not giving a curtsey notice on my intent to recover the NWHTSR. It’s been a long two weeks of physical work and I wasn’t sure if I could pull it off. My hunger to get back out on the trail over came all obstacles of physical discomfort and the outcome was successful. Thank you Stefan for stumbling across the NWHTSR and placing it in an area that is truly blessed with some of the most beautiful views the Pacific Crest Trail has to offer. This in itself made for a most incredible journey. The sky was clear and the air had that crisp cool feeling of a new day. I had just got to the TH by 7:30 and parked next to a man getting ready to hit the trail for an overnighter. He asked if I was aware of NWHikers.net and I was soon to find out I was talking with Forest Gnome. He was planning to get to Edds Lake and we chatted for a bit before we hit the trail. We left the TH at 7:45 and I headed onto the old Commonwealth Trail and FG took to the PCT, this would be the last we would see of each other. With a combination of the old Commonwealth Trail, off trail traveling and the PCT, I arrived at the Katwalk at 9:43. The travel through the forest up to this point was cool and I was totally enjoying the blueberries as they were forcing themselves upon me. Once on the Katwalk the sun was my constant companion. It was still young in the day so the heat wasn’t so bad, but I knew as the day went on that it was going to be a blast furnace. I could see Alaska Mtn. in the distance and was thinking I could get to the summit in the next hour. Well stopping to chat with folks on their way out and taking plenty of pictures while enjoying the views slowed me up some. Plus I took a CCW corkscrew route and that got me to the summit in an hour and a half. I found the NWHTSR under a large rock and it had donned a new overcoat made from a 1 gal. size zip lock. What a clever idea, thanks to whoever implemented this extra moisture management system. Upon opening it up and reading its most recent entries, I became aware that there were many guests signed in from Gothic Peak. This was prior to Mark (TNAB) picking it up. With this in mind I’ve decided to start taking photos of the pages to document and share with everyone. I’ve posted them in an album at flckr for anyone interested. Heres the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/72481410@N00/sets/803289/?batch_done=1 After some food and picture taking I was ready to head out. I found a well worn path heading SW and decided to take it and see if I could shave off a little time descending more directly to the PCT. Worked like a charm. It was just after noon at this point and I wanted to get over to Kendall Peak and check out the views from there. So back I went. When I got to the cutoff to Kendall I was feeling the effects of the heat and was starting to move like a slug. I was still determined to reach the summit and so up I went and was topped off before to long. The views were well worth the effort. I noticed that there was a new mountaineers register placed on the summit on 8.6.05. I also noted the entries of the TNAB crew, Stefan, and Wes, all from NWHiker. When I read that Stefan made the summit in two hours from the TH, I didn’t feel so old knowing that it took me two hours to reach the Katwalk from the TH. After documenting the second ascent of the NWTSR of Kendall Peak, I headed down to the PCT then through the clear-cut and then down through the forest to Commonwealth Creek. Here I had a nice relaxing rest with plenty of fresh cool water and food to refuel my hungry body. It was hard to leave this spot; it was so peaceful and nurturing to my spirit. Anyways I took a relaxing walk back to the TH and was grateful to be healthy and to have been able to spend another day in the natural beauty that surrounds us. NOTE: Now that the NWHTSR is back in my possession I would welcome any requests for it’s next destination. Keep in mind; if I decide to place it there the heat is going to be on you to retrieve it. Any suggestions? NO LAKES! Summits only, hence the name NWHikers Traveling SUMMIT Register, or NWHTSR.