Forum Index > Trip Reports > “NWHikers Traveling Summit Register”
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostTue Sep 09, 2008 9:22 pm 
Current status of the NWHTSR Awaits you on Sauk Mountain Old Log Book(s): - July 23rd, 2005 - April 26th, 2009 Previously on: (map)
  1. Poe Mountain
  2. Whittier Peak
  3. Gothic Peak
  4. Kendall Peak
  5. Huckleberry Mountain
  6. Alaska Mountain
  7. Kendall Peak
  8. Bryant Peak
  9. Yellow Aster Butte
  10. Terrace Mountain
  11. Trico
  12. McClellan Butte
  13. Hi Box
  14. Spring Mountain
  15. Breccia
  16. Tumac
  17. American Ridge
  18. Alaska Mountain
  19. Stilliguamish Peak
  20. Mount Forgotten
  21. Bogachiel Peak
  22. Welch Peaks
  23. Pyramid Mountain
  24. Granite Mountain (Wenatchee Mountains)
  25. Red Mountain (Snoqualmie Pass North)
  26. Floating Rock
  27. Galleon Peak
  28. Granite Mountain (Snoqualmie Pass North)
  29. Mt. Aix
  30. Puffer Butte
  31. Whitestone Rock
  32. Wapaloosie Mountain
  33. Antoine Peak
  34. Day Mountain (Mount Spokane State Park)
  35. Sauer's Mountain
  36. Putrid Pete's Peak
  37. Mailbox Peak
  38. Mount Teneriffe
  39. Rock Mountain
  40. Granite Mountain (Snoqualmie Pass North)
  41. Mount Kent
  42. Spark Plug
  43. Antler Peak, MRNP
  44. Dege Peak
  45. Crystal Mountain (Silver King) (The King)
  46. Mt. Forgotten
  47. Boulder Top Spire (Sherpani)
  48. Mac Peak (AWOL)
NWHTSR #2 1. Sauk Mountain

Wiki summmary last edited by veronika on Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:27 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostSat Aug 19, 2006 9:59 pm 
The NWHTSR has been placed. Three clues: 1- It's on top of a cinder cone. 2- There was a former lookout located on its summit. 3- It was the first summit Slugman came across a summit register and signed.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostSat Aug 19, 2006 10:05 pm 
naturealbeing wrote:
3- It was the first summit Slugman came across a summit register and signed.
I seem to recall Slugman reaching his first summit somewhere near Mt. Rainier back in ought-four (I think)

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostSun Aug 20, 2006 5:37 pm 
Here’s my short late report from my trip to Breccia Peak back on the 8th of August. I left the TH at 6:30 am, the temperature was a bit cool and it took some time to get warmed up. Once I got into my rhythm I was able to make good time and enjoy the pleasant forest hike to Bingley Gap. I reached the gap at 8:15 and the sun was up and starting to warm everything in it’s path. In another half hour I was at the saddle overlooking Round Lake. Everything was as clear as clear could be and the sloping meadows of flowers were real pleasant for the eyes to feast on. I took a little break here to munch and snap some pics of the lake below. At 9:30 I had gotten to the Sunup Lake spur trail and started heading up to the lake. The trail went to my left and I decided to stay right and head across talus and heather and scramble up to the ridge from the E slope. Well this turned out to be an interesting choice. I wound up having to pick my way up to the high point on the ridge via loose rock covered slabs and some steep exposed heather/rocks. This took me a little time but it was well worth it, as it gave me an interesting look of my objective. I was now on point 6320 and had consumed 45 minutes getting here. I sat around taking some pics before I headed out on the connecting ridge that would yield me a place on Breccia Peak in the next 15 minutes. Four hours from the TH I finally placed my last step onto the summit. WOW! What a real treat to be out on such a beautiful day. I spent quite some time up hear lounging around and being grateful to make it to another summit in our great NW. After getting an overdose on the scenery it was time to head back. I traced my steps back to the low point on the ridge and then made my way straight down on heather to Sunup Lake. I took a small break here to take some pics and quench my thirst from the much appreciated lake runoff. The trip back down was taken at a leisurely pace with plenty of time to chat with people along the way. Many couples and a few single hikers/backpackers were on their way to Lake Byrne. They couldn’t have picked a better weekend. Because of my addiction of posting lots of images, I have little space for loading images at this time, but will post this panorama from the summit. At a latter date I may add more images as space becomes available. Cheers! Richard
Breccia Peak Panorama, taken 8.5.06 from the summit of Breccia Peak.
44 labels
Breccia Peak Panorama, taken 8.5.06 from the summit of Breccia Peak.

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostSun Aug 20, 2006 7:01 pm 
Wanting to get Crystal out for a well deserved short easy hike, with plenty of water sources, with interesting topography, and views form a different part of the state, I chose Tumac Mtn. This hike caught my attention from reading a Backpackers issue a month ago. My last trip to this area was to Mt. Aix and I was pretty impressed and wanted to get back for more. After a 3 hr. drive I found myself along with Crystal at the Twin Sisters TH (GTM #980) at the Deep Creek Campgrounds. First things first, Crystal takes a dip in the creek to cool herself down and then we hit the trail. The first section of the trail before the first Twin Sisters Lake took us through a pleasant cool forest with plenty of blueberries to snack on. I’m guessing that it’s close to 2 miles to the first lake w/1,000’ of gain. In an hours time we were at the lake and Crystal was back in the water. A lady at the shore mentioned that it looked like Crystal may not want to leave the cool waters of the lake and I said I’ll just have to get her on the way out. He He He! This lady also mentioned that she had been coming here every year sense she was 17, (she appeared to be in her late 40s) and that this was her favorite lake of the two. She said because of the little bays, coves, and peninsulas around the lake, this made for a very interesting and beautiful experience. I would have to agree, probably one of the most visual beautiful lakes that I have come across. Anyways after giving Crystal her 15 minutes of swim time it was time to get back on track. We started weaving through the tarns and I’m telling you if you’re a tarn fan then this would be tarn Heaven for you. Field after fields of meadows filled with flowers and small pools of water stretched as far as the eyes could see. Crystal managed to hit a couple of tarns before we stated to gain some more elevation. In the last mile the trail goes from 5400’ to 6340’ at the summit. As we kept climbing the views expanded and the grand finally was reached at the summit. Crystals reaction was, I’ll take that spot over there in the shade and don’t bother me until were ready to leave. Ok fine! I had the strange feeling that this is where they had took some pictures for the Mars mission, as the rock up here appeared to be the same. Huh! I poked around for a while and took the standard peak shots before calling Crystal to attention and heading out. About 150’ down along the ridge I found a well-worn path, it appeared to be headed to the high point that I was able to see from the summit. My curiosity was spiked and I needed to heed it’s calling. Sure enough it lead to the false summit and once on top I was now able to see the small body of water down below (as shown on the GTM). Not wanting to miss an opportunity for Crystal to cool off we headed down. I could see well-defined horse trails through here and thought that this must be a popular stop for those big dogs. Once more I thought Crystal was going to swim the rest of her days away. When I finally got her out and headed in the right direction, she thought I was nuts and kept trying to show me that going back down and swimming was her preference. Not while I’m the leader and off we went cross-country until we hooked up with the main trail. When we got back to the lake it was, you guessed it SWIM TIME! While Crystal did her swim thang, I scouted around the lake and took some pics. When I had seen enough of the area we were in I called to Crystal and we relocated to fields of blueberries and a shady area to lie down and nap away. After a relaxing nap it was a peaceful saunter back to the TH, along with blueberry munching. Now you know where the NWHTSR is, so what are you going to do? Sit there? Or get out and enjoy a beautiful hike to a cinder cone, beautiful lakes and meadows full of flowers. Cheers! Richard BTW, Slugman has some great reports and pictures of this area: Twin Sisters, Blankenship lakes/mdws, Tumac mtn 9/26-28 Apple, Pear, Blankenship lakes, 8/21-23/05 Enjoy!
As seen from the small Twin Sister Lake 8.19.06.
Tarn In Cone as seen from the high point W of the summit of Tumac Mtn. 8.19.06.
Tarn In Cone as seen from the high point W of the summit of Tumac Mtn. 8.19.06.

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostMon Oct 02, 2006 10:10 am 
Anyone looking to get some autumn fireworks color should consider getting down to the Twin Sister Lakes and then go up to Tumac Mtn. to retrieve the NWHTSR. Nows the perfect time. Imagine a sea of golden larches spread across the land. Oh yeah BABY! Thats what I'm talking about.
Tumac Mtn. Pano looking N-NE 9.19.06.

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostSat Oct 07, 2006 2:44 pm 
naturealbeing wrote:
Anyone looking to get some autumn fireworks color should consider getting down to the Twin Sister Lakes and then go up to Tumac Mtn. to retrieve the NWHTSR. Nows the perfect time. Imagine a sea of golden larches spread across the land. Oh yeah BABY! Thats what I'm talking about.
Im going to get it next Saturday if no one nabs it by then...hopefully Rich baldwin will be joining me. up.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostSun Oct 08, 2006 8:23 pm 
WOW! Thats great news actionbeatty, I'm sure you will have a remarkable story to share with us upon your return. I'm looking forward to reading it and viewing the most excellent pictures I'm sure you'll be taking. Traveling with Rich will be an added bonus. Hope you two have a blast. Cheers! Richard

reststep

reststep
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 11:06 am 
actionbetty wrote:
Im going to get it next Saturday if no one nabs it by then...hopefully Rich baldwin will be joining me. up.gif
So what is the deal? Did you get the NWHTSR Saturday?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe

Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 12:07 pm 
TR and pics coming soon, but AB and I looked under every freakin' rock at the summit, including all around the footings of the former lookout, and came up empty handed. I thought it was some kinda hazing ritual and I would get to the campout and find it waiting for me with a beer and a "gotcha" sign! clown.gif So at some point between naturalbeing and sillytraveler's trips, the register grew legs. Any leads would be appreciated -- I'd love to sign my name and relocate it!

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 1:45 pm 
I don't have it! Friday night at the campout I was messing with AB telling her that it might have been found by me. I'd been hiking in the area for several days prior. Sat. after the hike she comes up mad as a hornet " GeoHiker I'm going to kill you, we looked under every freaking rock and it's not there. What did you do with it"? It's not in my possession. I better go post TR's from my 2 days of hiking at Walupt Lake, so I don't stay under suspicion. I hope somebody comes up with it soon. Looking at the snow levels it's no doubt getting white up there.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 1:48 pm 
dizzy.gif

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 2:24 pm 
Hrm.... uhh.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon Oct 16, 2006 4:55 pm 
I even had two strangers up there looking for it with me..no sign of it anywhere. I did leave a note on the other register for geohiker challenging him to a duel..I though for sure he was pulling a good prank on me (as solo steve said.. a hazing ritual) mad.gif He still claims innocence wink.gif TR coming soon

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
reststep

reststep
PostSat Dec 30, 2006 9:44 pm 
Did anyone ever figure out what happened to this register?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Tazz

Tazz
PostSat Dec 30, 2006 9:48 pm 
I think some joker took it