Forum Index > Trail Talk > Man falls off Little Annapurna
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 8:30 am 
Okay, experts, as long as we're here ....... This'll be my first trip to the Enchantments. I was thinking about looking for a campsite around Ladgunn, and using it as a base to climb Little Annapurna the next day, starting from the SE side of the lake. On the map, that looks like as gentle a slope as any. Am I off base? David

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Don

Don
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 8:40 am 
Nope - you will be just fine! Even a privy in the area! up.gif

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 8:44 am 
Accidents do happen. I climbed Little Annapurna about 2 or 3 weeks ago from Assguard Pass after climbing a route on Dragontail. I stayed on the left hand side where there are steep snow slopes and it would be very easy to fall into a lake, it was a concern of mine at the time. I was also there this day. Given snow conditons, a self arrest from an ice axe would be difficult, soft and mushy. There are a number of things that could have happened, but here is my long rambling write up that I sometimes do for family and friends. Ryan and I had just finished climbing a difficult 2000 foot rock route up Dragontail Peak’s North Face. Our spirits were high, fore this day was better then the last. It started out as a trip from hell on the drive over when we noticed we forgot our forest parking pass. I reminded us that it was no big deal; we could drop our gear off in the parking lot and drive down the road a quarter mile from the trailhead. We did this, but when we pulled into the Mountaineers Creek parking area, unloaded our gear and prepared to drive below; the car wouldn’t start. A barrage of cuss words followed as we were stuck in the pay zone without a pass and a broken down car. I wrote the forest service a nice little note, but new that those freaks don’t like excuses. We were prepared to receive a monster ticket. The plan was to hike to Colchuck Lake, bivouac in the boulder field where the rangers wouldn’t find us, and climb Dragontail Peak the next day. On the hike up my giardia kicked in and stomach problems ensued. I began feeling nauseous and had to poop six times on the short hike to the lake. I thought I was going to die on what should have been a fast easy stroll. I told Ryan if I got some sleep I would probably be better. We woke up at 4:00 am the following morning and prepared for the climb. I still didn’t feel any better and continued to unleash stinky things. I tried to hide it from Ryan. I figured I just needed to get on some rock and all would be well. The climb went smooth. It was difficult climbing, good rock, and always interesting. Route finding was tricky which added to the adventure. We toped out after some six hours of climbing to amazing views of the Enchantments and the Stuart Range. Ryan was stoked because he found a $100 dollar black diamond ice axe on route. After a brief small talk with a foreigner who soloed the Colchuck Glacier (he thought we were “extreme”) we quickly descended to Assguard Pass. From here a long dirty walk leads back to Colchuck Lake. Coming down Assguard Pass wasn’t fun (and never is), but it went quickly. We probably met a dozen or more people hiking up and past several coming down, including a young solo hiker my age. Other then a few witty remarks we had no interaction and I didn’t think much of it. There was no talk between Ryan and I as we descend the Colchuck Lake Trail back to our broken down car. We were both worked from the days task and each in our little own worlds, zoned out to our surroundings. We passed several people and I always said “Hi” and Ryan, who was behind me said, “How’s it goin’,” our standard lines when we weren’t in the mood for social talk. It was on the way down that we met a sad, worn looking man. His eyes were filled with tears. Upon seeing us he quickly asked if we had seen a “tall skinny man,” and I instantly replied “No” and almost kept on walking. It was Ryan who reminded us both that indeed we had, coming down Assguard Pass. The old man became excited and told us how his son had spent several days in the Enchantments, but failed to return. He was a day overdue. Upon hearing our details his face cheered up and he became very excited. I told him that we saw him way up the trail and that if he kept on walking he would eventually run into him. He was very excited and in a voice that almost maid me want to cry asked us if we could do him a favor. His mother was sitting in the car at the Mountaineers Creek Parking lot and he wanted us to tell her that her son was ok and that they would be down soon. I agreed to do so. We made good time down where we were both happy to see no ticket. The broken down car even started right up. It was then that I remembered I had to go tell the boys mother that him and his father would be down soon. As I approached her car there was an older lady sitting in there crying. I told her exactly what her husband had told me to her and she began to cry of happiness. It was hard for me to stand there and talk to her. I told them we saw them up high and they would be down in several hours. She thanked me over and over. I was eager to get out of there so I ran back over to Ryan’s van and away we went. It wasn’t till the next day when I became shocked of the news. I was informed a few sparse details. There was a death in the Enchantments; a father had gone looking for his son, etc. As more news came out I learned hikers latter that day found a body floating in a lake below Little Annapurna. Apparently the hiker fell on steep snow, slid into the lake and drowned. I was pretty pissed off at myself for the rest of the day. It was the same incident. Here I had told the boy’s father that he was “ok” and I told the boy’s mother that they would “be down soon.” They were both ecstatic over the news. Within several hours of me doing so there son’s body was found by hikers. It was then that they were told the real news.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 8:54 am 
Damn, what a tough situation to even have to think about. I'd probably said and done the same things you did as I would also have thought that the "tall skinny guy" was the son they were looking for. I have sons that are 22 and older and that whole scenario is one none of us as fathers ever want to face. My condolences to the parents and family. frown.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 8:55 am 
Craig I am so sorry that happened to you. Thats all I can say.... Sorry frown.gif Tazz-

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 8:56 am 
Craig, that's a sad but touching story. Thanks for posting. It puts things in perspective. And yes, deepest condolences to the family.

Don

Don
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 9:21 am 
Dang Craig, that's tough. I agree that most of us likely would have done the same. Many years ago I ran into a couple on Vesper Peak who were enthralled at the views. I recommended they check out Del Campo and gave them a brief route description. They informed me they would do so the following weekend. Next weekend while driving back from NCNP I heard on the radio about a tragedy on Del Campo. It was them. She fell to her death. He fell and sustained serious injuries while trying to get to her. He later died from his injuries in the hospital. I still hold it against myself and think about it often. It was over 12 years ago. Different situation, same emotions. Sorry for the drift. Hang in there.

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 11:47 am 
Kat wrote:
I'm always grateful for a discussion of the technical possibilities behind an accident. Even if that isn't what happened. I feel it keeps myself, and others, more aware of particular risks from folks who have been in that exact same locale. I really don't recall anyone posting in the last couple of years being distasteful, or not respecting families who have lost someone. I can only think that these families hope their stories help prevent a tragedy for someone else. I know some of these incidents have personally reshaped my risk factor.
I am not going to list "technical possibilities," but there are precautions that can be made. Whether any were made in this situation is unknown and it really doesn’t matter. Or even if they would have helped in the situation, still doesn’t matter. What happened did. It's always important to be aware of your surroundings. For example, if there is a fall factor, access the situation, where will I end up, what are the consequences, the risks? Have a plan of action so if you do fall. Whenever crossing above lakes, streams, or other water features, unclip your pack straps (I do) that way you can ditch it if you need to incase of a fall. I also remind and encourage my friends to do the same. I do this when climbing or below big mountains too. That way you can flip your pack over your head incase of rock fall, etc. It might not be the most comfortable, but safety comes first. Go slow, take your time when in risky situations. Lastly, remember that accidents do happen and sometimes no matter what precautions you take they are unavoidable. Hopefully more news will come out and we can all learn from this one.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 1:58 pm 
Graig, thanks for the story. Dont beat yourself up about it. You couldnt have known.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 3:03 pm 
Story in the Wenatchee World reports the young man fell and cause of death was drowning, he had some head and chest injuries that were minor, but that may have altered his sensorium / level of conciousness which probably led to his drowning.

Living in the Anthropocene
paul

paul
PostTue Jul 26, 2005 3:28 pm 
Warning! speculation alert! As a sea kayaker, I have read that a sudden imersion in cold water can cause an automatic inhale reaction. This is how some kayakers drown if they have an unexpected rollover. Paul

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostFri Jul 29, 2005 6:39 pm 
Craig wrote:
Whenever crossing above lakes, streams, or other water features, unclip your pack straps (I do) that way you can ditch it if you need to incase of a fall. I also remind and encourage my friends to do the same. I do this when climbing or below big mountains too. That way you can flip your pack over your head incase of rock fall, etc. It might not be the most comfortable, but safety comes first.
Excellent, obvious advice that I certainly haven't thought of. A trip last month comes to mind where we should have done that. And please don't beat yourself up about what happened. You gave the best info you could at the time.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jul 29, 2005 9:12 pm 
Craig, you did the right thing. The loss of their son would be a devastating blow no matter whether you said anything or not. But if the son had been OK, you would have saved them many hours of needless suffering. Very rarely is it a bad idea to keep someone's hopes up. My condolences to the family. I know it must seem a more personal tragedy to you than to someone like me who just read about it and didn't meet the people involved on the day it happened. You deserve credit for trying to help as best you could under the circumstances.