Forum Index > Trail Talk > Best route to the Tanks?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 9:39 am 
What is the best way in? Is two nights enough?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 9:47 am 
Best, probably the Neckless valley. Two nights? Depends I guess. Sure. One night in the valley, and the second night in the tanks. Out on day three. You can go in via the DMG trail, but the Neckless is probably easier.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 9:58 am 
I'd prefer to go one of the routes from the MfK side, should have said that before. Also, "best" and "easiest" may or may not be the same thing.....

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 10:01 am 
Well then you can get in there easiest by climbing up from Williams lake. Or you can do the Chains, La Bohns neckless valley route, but that's much longer. Or you could climb up to Crawford and then traverse around to the Tanks, but that's longer too. Up from Williams would be the fastest.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 10:04 am 
Ok, let me try and clarify what I am looking for. I am not looking for the quickest or easiest way in there, I am looking for the best way in, in terms of quality of scenery and fun factor. I prefer accessing from the Mfk. If the best way in also happens to be the quickest and easiest, that is fine. There are many different ways into that area, so rather than be overwhelmed with options, I am looking for good advice on the best way to get to the Tanks.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 10:13 am 
Well, I just listed the "only" way in from the DMG trail. Of the three the Chains La Bohns route would be the most senic. The trip up from Williams would be the easiest/fastest while still offering some nice views as you gain elevation.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 10:26 am 
I don't think you can go wrong with any route. I might suggest coming in via Big Heart, raft Angeline, see Chetwoot, Iron Cap, then Tanks, and then out Necklace. Wait a sec, no, hit La Bohn too, and while you're at it visit every nook and cranny in the Necklace, up to Lepul, and... er, how many days are you going to be in area? clown.gif

Damian

Damian
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 12:42 pm 
And I might suggest Tom is a maniac. But all routes in to Tanks are good routes. No goin' wrong here. Be sure to hit the mine above Williams Lk iffin' thats yur route. Used to be an old cabin up near the Chains, but I may be revealing may age here... Lots of old rusty gear too.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 12:45 pm 
I always just climb up from the west side of Williams. The route is pretty self evident on the USGS topo - Just follow the unvegetated (white) areas on the topo North and West from the lake until you are on the gentle contours running Northwest to Tanks. Looping around via Chain and La Bohn Lakes and the upper Necklace Valley is pretty, but it's much longer and involves more elevation gain/loss. You could also go in via Chetwoot and then follow Tom's route.

solohiker

solohiker
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 2:19 pm 
I would concur w bpj that imho the "best" way there is through Necklass. Now, once you added the mfk criteria ... I'd vote for up from Williams, but that's a personal preference. It might be to boring for you. If I was going to the Tanks and had only 2 nights, I wouldn't mess around with going up to La Bohns "on the way." Mostly because they aren't on the way. Now the bons are certainly purdy and I'm guessing you can cover more territory per day than me, so you can make em part of a loop either direction if your just lookin' for a fun route that happens to include the Tanks, rather than a route specifically there. Keep in mind I'm coming from a totally different perspective than you. I approach DMG, by choice, from Wappie rather than mfk because I hate that road. Really hate it. Don't mind the long dusty (muddy in spring) haul over the horsey trail - it's jog-able, and seems to go by quickly to me (more on the way in than the long haul out, I'll admit).

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 4:11 pm 
solohiker wrote:
Keep in mind I'm coming from a totally different perspective than you. I approach DMG, by choice, from Wappie rather than mfk because I hate that road. Really hate it. Don't mind the long dusty (muddy in spring) haul over the horsey trail - it's jog-able, and seems to go by quickly to me (more on the way in than the long haul out, I'll admit).
I didn't think I'd ever hear anyone say they'd rather climb up to Ivanhoe and DMG than drive the MFK road. I exited the DMG area out the Waptus and hated it probably as much as you hate the MFK road. Maybe I wouldn't be so opposed to that section of trail if it were on the way in, but I doubt I'll bother to try it. I am keen to go up to the La Bohns/Tanks via Neckless, though. Especially if I can get dropped on the north side and then walk out the MFK as that would make for a nice quick trip home. Nothing so nice as a quick trip from the trailhead to the shower. (Of course, two hours bouncing down the MFK is stretching the definition of "quick.") Hmm, I suppose that's what y'all call thread drift, huh?

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 4:23 pm 
Damian wrote:
...I may be revealing may age here... Lots of old rusty gear too.
you mean the mining gear is rusty, or....?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 4:31 pm 
I would either eat a box of thumbtacks then hike to Wappie Lake. Some people on this here site already know how I feel about that hike and lake. dizzy.gif Far as the idea of the Bohns, well, maybe. I'd really like to get somewhere on the first day, day hike the second day, and then huff it out on Day Three. Got to look at the best way to get that done. Me, I rather LIKE the MfK road! hockeygrin.gif Yay, I've wanted to Tank for a long time now!! up.gif

Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 4:36 pm 
So the main advocate of keeping pristene off trail lakes on the down low is now advertising them? And even the best way to them? huh? Interesting.

Ebrace life!
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 4:40 pm 
Their existence has been widely reported. There are scads of TRs on the place in our database. Are they pristine? That would really surprise me.