Forum Index > Trail Talk > Glacier Nat Park mavens, here's your chance to show off!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Don

Don
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 9:40 pm 
Let me make sure I understand your question correctly. If your "stuck" at Logan Pas, the very heart of GNP, and forced to walk the many trails spidering from the visitor center with views in all directions over most of the park at such a high elevation, what would you do? I don't know, orgasm prematurely? lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 10:31 pm 
I'll take that as a positive recommendation to my plan of finishing the hike to Snyder early enough to catch the outbound shuttle to Logan pass and hang out there for several hours... biggrin.gif If I get back to Lake McDonald from Snyder camp at 1:30 pm (after hiking out just 5 miles, no problem), I'll end up at Logan pass at 2:20 pm, and the last shuttle back to Apgar leaves Logan at 6:55 pm, giving me 4 solid hours at Logan. Whoohoo! (or get back at 11:20 and have 6 hours at Logan) I already got three responses to my query on that GNP forum. up.gif Thanks, steppinrazor. One woman had some sweet info: a motel in East Glacier with wooded tent site and a free ride to the train station. Thanks, "Jen". cool.gif As it turns out I'll pass on East Glacier, but it was still good info. The chance to see a nice overview of the park, in addition to a good two-day backpack, has me sold on West Glacier, Snyder lake, shuttle to Logan pass, last night at Apgar, walk to train station by 8 am Wednesday. My only costs will be $40 shuttle fees ($8 to McDonald lake, $16 to Logan, $16 back to Apgar), the one-night camp fee at Apgar (?), and whatever the backcountry fee is for one night at Snyder. I'm making my reservations right now.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jul 29, 2005 12:12 am 
Well, there sure are a lot of fees. If I want to reserve a campsite at Snyder for one person for one night, it's $20 just for the reservation, and $4 for the site. That's BS, practically thievery. I'll take my chances and not reserve. But I do have a back-up plan. Total fees for main plan: $40 in shuttle fees (shuttle to my starting point for Snyder, plus R/T to Logan pass, not expensive at all considering the alternatives, i.e. car rental) $10 just to walk into the park (twice what we pay at Rainier/Olympic) $4 to camp at Snyder (one person/one night would be $7 at Olympic) $15 to camp at Apgar my last night (not bad for a standard car camp) Total $69. There are a couple of possible back-up backpacking choices, price the same as above, maybe a bit more shuttle money if I take the shuttle farther. I'll take what I can get and manage to do when I get to the ranger station. Back-up plan with fees: $30: If I can't get into Snyder or other backcountry camp that seems nice, is doable for me, and accessible by shuttle, I will simply take a car-camping spot at Apgar for both nights. $10 to enter park. $16 for shuttle to dayhike Snyder lake and return to Apgar. 10 miles/2,000 VF is doable as a dayhike $32 more for shuttle to go to Logan pass for the entire day the second day and return to Apgar. Total: $88. In both plans I get to see Snyder lakes and spend a bunch of time at Logan pass, the only real difference is the night of car-camping versus the night of backcountry camping. Apgar doesn't accept reservations, but it also doesn't fill up until 8 pm if at all. The shuttle also doesn't accept reservations. I just need to change my Amtrak ticket and I'm done. I really believe I've covered all the bases, now I just need some luck and good weather.