Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Lillian XC/Cameron Pass/Lost Basin/Grand Pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
silence

silence
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 10:14 am 
Just returned from doing the Grand Valley/Lillian Ridge to Lost Basin via Lake Lillian XC traverse. Couldn't believe our good fortune - having planned this 6 mos earlier and reserving permits 30 days ago - the wildflowers, weather, trail (and off-trail) conditions, bugs (not bad), etc were all PERFECT. It was awesome, but challenging at times (for 2 non-climbers) - 24 mi (6.2 off-trail), 11.5K total gain and loss - much of that on the climb up and over Cameron Pass, and up and over Grand Pass. The views were stunning, and wildflowers just as spectacular, if not better than Rainier (our usual stomping ground). It could've been done faster, but we wanted a leisurely 6 day outing with time for exploring and picture taking. Spent 1st nite at Gladys Lake. Late next morn (had a short rain delay) climbed to Low Pass and picked up an old trail running S along the ridge, but soon left it and dropped W down to and across the Lillian River drainage; then followed the headwaters up to the basin just below Lillian - extremely beautiful place, but resisted the urge to camp there (in spite of being tired and not looking forward to another 700'); cresting over the headwall of Lillian was a moment of Zen - late afternoon light; turquoise-blue lake at the base of a beautiful mountain cirque; wildflowers with patches of blooming heather and clusters of sub-alpine fir - a lone deer ambled thru; a bunny greeted me in the morn. BTW, there are 2 great "no impact" tent sites on the talus bench just north of the lake; unfortunately, we didn't discover them until well after setting up camp on the grass above the lake - an obvious old camp site; thought seriously about moving, but it was late and we were just too beat so treaded lightly here. Next morn climbed to the saddle west of McCartney Peak over talus (snow would have made this a faster ascent). Immediately found the old trail and began our SE traverse to Cameron Pass. The trail is in pretty good shape, except for some short dicey (at least, for us ledge whimps redface.gif) crossings on avalanche slopes high above the Lost Creek drainage. In about 1 mi it drops down to the head of the first drainage; from here on the trail comes and goes; we made a gradual ascent back up (achieving the ridge too soon requires dropping down again); eventually reaching a notch at about 6400' (overlooks Cameron Basin); and then traveled easily betwn 6300' and 6500' until reaching a steep dirt/talus slope - although there was evidence of a lower trail, we followed advice from the 1st draft of the "Climbers' Guide to the Olympics" to cross here as high as possible; started across using the apparent upper way trail, but it eventually petered out into one lonely deer track - bad idea at this time because of dry conditions; footing was treacherous making this a stressed, but luckily, short traverse at the end; after that it was smooth sailing to the Lost Basin/Pass trail just below Cameron Pass (greeted by in-your-face views of Mt Anderson and more). The entire "ridge" run offered far-reaching views into the Olympics (Olympus and Bailey Range ever-present); vast meadows profuse with flowers; and numerous deer, but unfortunately no bear (some fresh scat) or goat sightings. We arrived at Lost Basin on Sat eve about 6 - saw our first human soul since leaving Grand Valley; a lone photographer set up on the trail below; was that you Don Geyer? Headed up for the lower lake - however, decided to camp in the basin just below it. Sun spent the whole day exploring the upper basin below Cameron and Lost Peaks (beautiful Zen gardens everywhere) just lazin' around, shooting video and digital pix, and taking in the magnificent scenery. Mon headed back up and over Cameron Pass - can't imagine doing this "sans" trekking poles (as Don mentioned) with heavy packs - a very steep descent on dry dirt and talus with 2 washouts to navigate (easily enough though). Upper Cameron Basin is special - a nice alpine camping zone with headwaters from the glacier; next basin below is less barren with more flowers and heather; finally into the lush lower basin and along Cameron Creek. This "maintained" trail is in pretty good shape - recently brushed out, with a couple small washouts that are easy to get around; but, watch out for marmot holes! Headed up the Grand Pass trail (unrelentingly steep with a little mud in places and loose talus on the upper slope; not maintained, but easy to follow; sunny exposure all day) - we thought much easier to climb than to descend this one. Views from Grand Pass include Deception, the Needles, Grand Valley, and more. Easy descent into Gladys for the night; then a casual, but tough climb out next morning - due to tired, old legs and feet. Best to carry a bear canister - not impossible, but hard to find trees for hanging; mosquitoes sometimes bad at Lost Basin, not too bad elsewhere; biting flies bad on lower Cameron Creek and lower Grand Pass trails; no snow Click thumbnails to see larger images
From saddle above Lake Lillian
Tarn in upper Lost Basin
Evening clouds over Olympus from Lost Basin camp
Meadow on ridge above Lost Creek drainage

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Andrew

Andrew
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 10:27 am 
Great report, Lillian Lakes are very pretty. Just wondering, from Low Pass, did you cross any talus fields W-NW of Pt. 6721 while descending down to the valley towards Lillian?

Don

Don
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 10:41 am 
That was me! I didn't think you saw me. You followed the same x-country route in Lost Basin to set camp that I had done only a couple of hours earlier (coming down from Cameron Pass) to go investigate the lower lake. Hope the marmot holes didn't get you, they were treacherous. All I could think of while watching you two trek up there was how bad the skeeters would likely be. It was very marshy up there. I wanted to go up the next morning and attempt a reflection shot of Mt. Claywood in the lower lake, but it didn't happen. The images of sunset on Lost Ridge in my post were taken the evening you saw me venturing back up to the pass. Your tr read excellent up.gif . I kept looking at all the ridge running possibilities while I was up there. They looked inviting agree.gif Don

silence

silence
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 11:00 am 
Thought that might be you; expected a visit; it was like walking thru a minefield. The bugs were bad, but not as bad as Rainier (Indian Henry's) last year at this time - those almost sent us packin; we have a high tolerance level now.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Don

Don
PostThu Jul 28, 2005 11:22 am 
The fact that you avoided Three Sons Camp and camped only a short distance away told me you wanted solitude, and I always try to respect that. My plan was to see if you were out and about in the morning when/if I went up there, and if so I was going to say hi.

RodF

RodF
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 4:03 am 
Regarding the south half of the Lake Lillian to Cameron Pass traverse,
silence wrote:
...eventually reaching a notch at about 6400' (overlooks Cameron Basin); and then traveled easily betwn 6300' and 6500' until reaching a steep dirt/talus slope - although there was evidence of a lower trail, we followed advice from the 1st draft of the "Climbers' Guide to the Olympics" to cross here as high as possible; started across using the apparent upper way trail, but it eventually petered out into one lonely deer track - bad idea at this time because of dry conditions; footing was treacherous making this a stressed, but luckily, short traverse at the end; after that it was smooth sailing to the Lost Basin/Pass trail just below Cameron Pass
I made the other choice: to ignore the Climber's Guide's advice to "Get as high as possible before launching out into the scree... Once clear of the scree, you can fully indulge the urge to head for the ridge top as you hike S into Cameron Pass". Instead, I checked out the less-used lower path across that scree slope. It is definitely the original trail bed and is in good condition, so I took it. It traverses level across that scree slope, quickly followed by two more short ones. The trail then disappears into large meadows of grass, heather and huckleberries. I continued the traverse, with only minor elevation gain or loss as needed to avoid small, dense stands of subalpine fir or short patches of loose scree, for almost a mile, meeting the trail south of Cameron Pass at ~6080' MSL, or ~400' below the pass. As my destination also was Lost Basin, this level traverse saved ~700' of elevation gain (and loss), and the difficult loose scree mentioned above. So it worked out great. It also appears possible to do a long, gradually climbing, traverse directly into Cameron Pass, without climbing ridge 6733, saving a bit of effort if one is crossing into Cameron Basin. One thing I might add for those who might do this traverse late in the summer when most of the snow is gone, is the availability of water. I picked up water at Lake Lillian, at the large, unnamed tarn 1 mile south of Lillian near hill 5651, and snow at the permanent snowfield only steps below the lowest notch (~6215') in the ridge, and then in Lost Basin. So it isn't necessary to carry more than a liter or so. I then spent the night in Lost Basin, dropped over Lost Pass and up into Thousand Acre Meadows, and down the Dose. To the best of my knowledge, I was the only soul in the main fork Dosewallips drainage last night. And that, while we are in the midst of the longest spell of clear weather the Olympics have seen this entire summer. All the camps were deserted. I met only two people, and both were leaving (via the Heyden and Grey Wolf passes), and neither had entered via the Dose. There were only 2 other cars at the Dose washout, and both were dayhikers. This is a dramatically sad commentary on the effect of the Dose Road washout on visitation to this formerly popular area. The road closure (which adds 5.5 miles and a 1000' gain to the trailhead) seems to have knocked out access for at least 80% of the people who once enjoyed the Dose. frown.gif

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Joe

Joe
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 7:22 am 
In 2005 I did a similar trip - Obstruction point - Grand Pass - Cameron Pass - Lost Pass - Hayden Pass - then back to Graywolf Pass - x-c to Cedar lake - Deer Park campground - Obstruction point. After leaving Gladys Lake, we saw nobody until Cedar Lake, a group of 4.

Joe
reststep

reststep
PostMon Sep 17, 2007 9:43 am 
Thanks for the great reports and pictures silence and RodF. It brings back memorys. We did a loop a few years ago where we went in the Dose then over Lost Pass, Cameron Pass, down to Three Forks, to Cedar Lake where we took the high route to and over Graywolf Pass and back out the Dose. It was a great trip. I really want to get back to Cameron Basin to do some more exploring. If not this fall maybe next year.
RodF wrote:
This is a dramatically sad commentary on the effect of the Dose Road washout on visitation to this formerly popular area. The road closure (which adds 5.5 miles and a 1000' gain to the trailhead) seems to have knocked out access for at least 80% of the people who once enjoyed the Dose. frown.gif
There is some discussion about the Dose Road on this thread if you care to peruse it.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir