Forum Index > Trail Talk > The NEW ultimate trail rig!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 2:49 am 
I'm gonna get myself one of these! The ultimate trail rig. Go anywhere, sleep comfortalbly, multi day, multi trip support vehicle! Yes they are expensive!!! TB biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 6:33 am 
This definitely fits well with the LNT ethics. shakehead.gif I think I'll buy one and drive it up the trail to spider meadow and wait on the tailgate for the deer to come out and blast them with a .460 Weatherby magnum. huh.gif

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 6:44 am 
Do you think that would make it down Aasgard? If so, I'm sold wink.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 6:59 am 
Think I'll stick to my unicycle.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Dante

Dante
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 7:30 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I'm gonna get myself one of these! The ultimate trail rig. Go anywhere, sleep comfortalbly, multi day, multi trip support vehicle!
You should hire me as your financial advisor instead. My fees are very reasonable, really. I know the market is bad, but rolling stock still doesn't perform as well as the regular kind wink.gif Back on topic, I'd "settle" for one of these: http://www.mercedes-benz.com/e/rv/vitof/default.htm. Cool thing is, Chaimler might be selling them here with a Dodge nameplate by the time our minivan wears out.

tk-421
Dead Weight

tk-421
Dead Weight
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 7:51 am 
CascadeHiker wrote:
Do you think that would make it down Aasgard?
Anything will make it down Aasgard. Just depends on how wild of a ride you want and what your expectations are at the bottom.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 8:36 am 
Hey, that Mercedes minivan looks like the ticket. I dig the pic of it heading UP Asgaard...
Don't those Teutonic knuckleheads know soccer moms need sliding doors on BOTH sides?

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Dante

Dante
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 9:08 am 
LOL--you da photoshop MAN! Remember, if they sell it here it will be a Dodge. Seriously, IF I ever buy a trailhead vehicle, it will be an old Subaru, 4Runner or VW Westfalia Synchro. Even if I could afford a new UNIMOG I would not be able to sleep with it parked at the trailhead. The Forest Service may be eliminating one of the main reasons I ever wanted a trailhead beater by closing the Middle Fork Road.

L. Cheepoh

L. Cheepoh
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 11:33 am 
Dante, you'd buy a special car for just one road? My beater family car can make it up any reasonable gravel road. If it can't go up the Midfork, so be it. Other places to play.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 11:46 am 
What is the latest news on the Middle Fork road anyhow? Do they have a timetable on when they want to shut it down?

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 12:03 pm 
I'll be happy when I get my Forrester!

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Dante

Dante
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 12:06 pm 
L. Cheepoh wrote:
Dante, you'd buy a special car for just one road? My beater family car can make it up any reasonable gravel road. If it can't go up the Midfork, so be it. Other places to play.
No L. Cheapoh I would not buy a special car for just one road. Note the capitalized "IF" in my post. I also said "one of the main reasons I ever wanted a trailhead beater . . ." I happen to like exploring forest roads. The alternatives to not exploring the rough ones are (1) buy a beater or (2) replace my safe, reliable 44 mpg commuter with an SUV, pickup or Subaru wagon with half the fuel economy (or worse). I also don't like taking our minivan to the dump or home and garden store. A beater would be good for that, too. The reasons I don't have one yet are (1) I don't have much time to explore anymore and (2) my priorities are not as scewed up as you might think. I'll probably just end up waiting for my car to turn into a beater wink.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 3:57 pm 
You guys forgot about all the details. The cab is bullet proof, the underside is land mine resistant. The vehicle would be safe at ANY trailhead! It's garenteed break in proof! What an awesome rig that would make on the drive up the alcan hwy to alaska. I 'd like to do the haul road too. 456 miles of dirt from Fairbanks to Prudoe bay. The bloody things got a 2300 mile range!!!!!! Hey Dante, is that Diamler van gonna come with their common rail direct injection diesel? baaa.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 7:35 pm 
I think there may be enough interest for a group discount. Imagine you could drive from Pt Barrow to Tierra Del Fuego on just a few tanks of gas and thumb your nose at the Columbian guerillas as they futily tried to kidnap you. What does land mine resistant mean though? Does the vehicle survive but it needs a new driver?

tk-421
Dead Weight

tk-421
Dead Weight
PostFri Oct 04, 2002 7:36 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
What an awesome rig that would make on the drive up the alcan hwy to alaska. I 'd like to do the haul road too. 456 miles of dirt from Fairbanks to Prudoe bay.
The Alcan isn't the road it used to be, and that's a Good Thing. It has it's rough bits, but it is paved all the way and is a pretty tame road now. I'd be careful in the winter, but other than that... pfft. As a recent 25 year resident of Fairbanks... there are numerous Unimogs in Fairbanks, either the ones that "live" there (oil companies, research rigs and a local doctor has one for moose hunting) or some "tourist" ones that come through every summer. About three years ago, five of the camper Unimogs came through on the way north to Deadhorse. A German expedition of some kind. My German isn't that good, but they kept saying something about "Sudetenland" and "getting it right this time"? smile.gif