Forum Index > Gear Talk > Hennessy Hammock Group Buy
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 9:17 am 
I just got off the phone with Tom Hennessy. He will give us a 1% discount for every hammock he sells through this group buy up to 20%. In other words, if 20 of us buy hammocks, we get 20% off his catalog prices. Anyone interested?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 10:07 am 
I plan to buy a hennessy hammock...just not yet. I'll be unemployed in about 3 months and can't justify hiking gear purchases right now. frown.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 10:28 am 
Great idea Dante. Since it's approaching winter (and hammocks aren't advised in winter due to the insulation issue, icicles, tree bombs, etc.) it might make sense to round up enough folks over the next 6 months and do the group buy in the spring.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 10:38 am 
There's no time pressure from HH's end and given the season I think most of us who are eyeing a HH can wait until we get 20 commitments. How about this? Let's just keep this open until we get 20 firm commitments or until sometime next spring--April? May? June 1?

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 11:09 am 
I might be willing to play if the prices are less than what one costs up here...time to do some research. Ok research done...MEC has the Hennessy Expedition Hammock (I need this one because I'm a big boy!) for $179 CAN or ~$112 US. TAIGA has it for $159 CAN or $100 US. Beat that and I'm in.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 11:14 am 
I'm definitely interested. As soon as I can muster some money at least... suuure.gif (assuming I can find work before my tuition comes up for Winter quarter)

Dante

Dante
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 12:11 pm 
Hiker Boy wrote:
MEC has the Hennessy Expedition Hammock (I need this one because I'm a big boy!) for $179 CAN or ~$112 US. TAIGA has it for $159 CAN or $100 US.
I don't want to undermine out group buy, but here are two observations: 1. www.hennessyhammock.com has first quality demo model Expeditions for $89 US and cosmetic seconds for $79 US. 2. When I asked Tom Hennessy about the Expedition ('cuz I'm a big guy, too) he suggested waiting for the new Expedition A-Sym base model due out next year (maybe that will keep you in the group buy wink.gif ). P.S. I am definitely in. I got outbid on a HH Explorer on eBay and would rather save up and get a new 2lb. 4 oz. Explorer Ultralight A-Sym for $135 next spring, anyway smile.gif Now all we need is 16 or 17 more buyers . . .

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 3:17 pm 
Damn, they're made right up here on Galiano Is. ! Too cool, what an interesting place to have a business like this!

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 4:01 pm 
Well lets make sure we post that group buy well enough. I'll get in on it and buy one for my cousin Kerry. Dante, whats that asym expedition support weight wise? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Lie Twait

Lie Twait
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 4:58 pm 
Sounds heavier than a tarp/groundcloth combo... is it? HOw much for a version for a lightweight dude?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 5:19 pm 
The base prices are listed at the hennessy site. Deduct 20% (multiply by 0.80) assuming we round up 20 people and get the maximum group discount. http://www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.htm

Lie Twait

Lie Twait
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 10:32 pm 
holy moly! A 15 oz shelter that is comfy. Hmm. $169 * .80 = $135+. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Dante

Dante
PostFri Oct 04, 2002 7:59 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Dante, whats that asym expedition support weight wise?
EXPLORER ULTRALITE A-SYM 2lb.4oz./300lbs. New for 2002. At 10 feet long, the Explorer Ultralite A-sym was designed for anyone under 250 lbs. or more than 6 feet tall. It also has the same great proportions as the smaller Ultralite Backpacker A-sym. Lie-Twait, it sounds like you found the lightest model smile.gif THE ADVENTURE RACER 15oz./180 lb At 15 ozs, nothing comes close for comfort, light weight and protection for racers under 5'10'' or 180 lbs. I don't think weight-savings is the primary argument in favor of a Hammock. Hammocks are supposed to balance weight, comfort and protection in a one person shelter. I think it would be better to compare an HH and a light closed-cell pad to a tent or tarp with bug netting and a ground cloth and a thick self-inflating or open-cell pad. From that perspective even the base models are pretty competitive weight-wise. BTW, was that REI deal 20% off the sale price or 20% off REIs normal price? HH gives stores up to a 40% discount (and I bet that's what REI gets) so REI could discount a HH over 20% and still make money. Most of us would still have to pay over 8% Washington sales tax, though. HH offers regular mail or UPS shipping for free cool.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Dec 01, 2002 3:00 pm 
I noticed backcountrygear.com has the Ultralite Backpacker A-Sym on sale right now for $120 w/ free shipping. Dante, I also noticed they also have the explorer ultralite a-sym on sale for $149 w/ free shipping.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Dec 03, 2002 4:58 am 
Leave it to Tom to find the super deal! I've already got something in the weight range, but might go in if I can get one of the seconds with the discount (dream on!) just for the kewlness factor. Anyone see the HH in last month's Dwell Magazine, where they go 'big box retailer' shopping every month....well, last month it was HikeyTown, and one of the things the two fashionable dudes who went there picked out was the HH, pureley based on how kewl the thing looked hanging at the Flagship store. rolleyes.gif Awesome!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods