Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Persis - 2 Oct 2002 - Attempt
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostThu Oct 03, 2002 7:58 pm 
First, i would like to say that i talk to the person fixing the road up to the trailhead. Although he was full of information, overall i don't believe he was a very good person. He stated that the FG and FS and some other names i didn't reconize was fixing the roads. Mostly because they have lost so many roads in the past. They were to put in 8 colverts the day i hiked up there, although none were done. Making us hike an extra mile, two both ways. But he stated they were going to bring the road up to code, so that they wouldn't lose it. Which means more colverts and new gravel, and new ditches. So we will see, i would like to go and check on it in a few weeks and see. The day started out pretty good, except the extra mile road walk. We checked out the views from the end of the road before starting up the steep path, through massive blueberry plants, fat little guys. If anyone is looking for blueberries, this is the place to be. Nats were bad. After the short hike up through the bushes, the trail opens up for some good views down the valley towards the sound, we could see. As you continue up the ridge, you travel through a forest of broken and half dead trees. When you start to approach a rock cliff you travel to your right and into somewhat of a denser forest, up, along the way there are a few way paths that lead to lookouts. You climb up a boulder field, and the up through some sticker bushes. Finally you come to where the trail seems less steep, and through a forest of tall trees, beautiful meadows, and snow. Yes, there was snow, not much. All the time we were traveling up hill the clouds were moving down, and around us. Our last good views were of the city of Index and of Sunset falls, i believe. When we at last, i think spotted our goal, it was fogged in and not looking good. As we stopped in a meadow for lunch the rain began. At this point we decided to call it a day and headed for the car. Going down wasn't as bad as we thought we made good time, but we were soaking wet by the time we reached the car. So we will try again another day. frown.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message