Forum Index > Trip Reports > Just the Top -- Mt. Persis Sat. 7/30/05
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Monroe hikers

Monroe hikers
PostFri Aug 05, 2005 1:30 pm 
A sudden decision gave us a perfect, clear day with minimal haze/smog/bugs. Close in: 18 miles out, & 6 Rough miles on dirt that near road end has a huge blocking boulder with nearly a car width around! Path takes off south, up a hillside, earth still nicely traction damp at 7am. It's not a trail -- pulling branches, clinging to trunks then pushing up off them, but it's not really bushwacking either. It's worn enough to follow, for me on all fours! One party passed us going out -- we met others --9 total -- intreped guys -- coming back down. Ascending was exciting/exhilarating -- didn't care I'd get no kudos for grace! When we were high enough for views, it was wonderful. Our first longer rest was after the path, which we lost awhile through raw forest because I didn't want to go down, descended on a backside slope. Rest refreshed to climb again with renewed spirits. We arose to two unexpected tarns, having lost the path in meadows below. But cairns were there -- we counted some 15 of them on the descent when we didn't miss them! We bless these cairn gods! Boulder fields led to the summit, and speechless views. I signed us into the register held in a heavy metal cylinder. Felt instantly fossilized! We lingered over lunch and our mountaineer leader pointed out Sunset Falls, Heybrook Lookout, Mt. Baring, town of Index, Big Four, Three Fingers and Adams and affirmed Baker, Shuksan, Stickney and Pilchuck, & gave a surprise pop quiz in map reading! Rainier was a southern mirage of close-appearing clarity. Descending, I needed such ecstacy and achievement, huffing back down over boulders like a lame quadrapod. Leader said his tongue drug the ground and sweat the size of basketballs rolled off and splat landed. Down was dangerously steep with now dry loose dirt beneath, slips saved by butt, rocks, blowdowns and branches, till the last scary 20 ft. slide to the roadside which took all my guts to run down! I actually stayed upright, then laughed at my cowardice. I'd do it ALL again -- NEXT year!!!
Ridge silhouette
Ridge silhouette
Small tarn
Small tarn
Ridge edge view
Ridge edge view

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Justus S.

Justus S.
PostFri Aug 05, 2005 1:45 pm 
Nice report. Took a picture of that same rock when I was up there. up.gif
Picture 43
Picture 43

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostSun Aug 07, 2005 12:38 am 
Gotta love Persis - so close, so awesome. Good to hear more folks are discovering this gem! That rock could be trouble, though. Actually, there are several obstacles on that last stretch of road, mainly of the rock variety. It only takes 10 minutes to park at the last switch and begin hiking from there, and thus avoid the trouble...

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark