Forum Index > Trip Reports > mount zion, no, the wa. state one.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostTue Aug 09, 2005 10:59 pm 
Seems like I'm the only one who likes this mountain. The hike is short, 1.8 miles according to my G.T.M. #136, and only gains about 1000', but does provide an interesting perspective of Sequim bay, Discovery bay, Admiralty Inlet, and the Hood Canal. Having to be in Port Angeles for business, I decided to not waste a free afternoon on the peninsula. The drive was uneventful, roads are fine. Three cars in the lot, I was surprised, Tuesday afternoon, not supposed to be anybody other than Slugman out hiking. No passes on any rig except mine, of course. Did this hike last year with Spinderella, we made the top in about an hour and 20 minutes, this time, I'm 50 pounds lighter, and with the new 360 c.i. pack (micro), I trotted up in 40 minutes, passed all three carloads coming down, before I got to the top, so I had the whole place to myself for over an hour, peaceful, just me and a chipmunk, obviously used to people, I nearly tripped over him a couple of times. The trail is in fine shape, please note there is no water so bring a bottle or two, the west exposure is hot in the afternoon sun. Flies were biting, bees were buzzing, its was a naturefest. Five minutes after leaving the summit I ran into a couple coming up, then two girls, guess they would have to share the peak with each other. I arrived back at the parking lot to find the last group of people I passed on the way up, still there eek.gif . I had been on the summit for at least an hour, plus 40 minutes to walk down, so they must have been there for a while. I asked why they were still there, the elderly man who was driving the van said he had a flat tire, which I then saw, and that his wife had gone in another car to get a tow truck. I asked him if the tire was badly damaged , he said no, so I whipped out my trusty 12 volt tire inflator, and 15 minutes later he was on his way, 4 small kids , 4 old people, all happy to be leaving up.gif The kids asked me if I went alllllll the way to the top lol.gif , I told them yes, in forty minutes, the man driving the van stated that they all made it up in 2 hours, including an 82 year old woman, I can only wish I will be able to do this stuff when I'm 80. Great midweek prelude to this coming weekends big adventures, see you out there, and dont forget your maps. Pictures:
mount zion medallion
mount zion medallion
The Army Corps medallion on top of Mount Zion says its number one. Is this the first, or are they placed in some pattern?
west ridges
west ridges
This second pic is the ridgelines west of Zion, the most distant being Grey wolf ridge , a future destination for me. C.J.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostWed Aug 10, 2005 11:50 am 
no. Captain Jack....I liked Zion too.....went there a number of years back.....there was nothing left of the old lookout there, but we did find a rusting bed frame which I assume was from the lookout....I mean why else would it be there? ( although there is some strange stuff out there in places....) glad you had a good hike and that you got to be a good sumaritan for those folks.... up.gif up.gif up.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message