Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Attachment Guidelines - Please Read
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Oct 08, 2002 10:49 am 
If you get a PM directing you to this post, please don't take it personally. Lots of folks don't see the red link just below where you add an attachment. If you clicked on that red link to get here, well, kudos to you... First of all, let me say thanks up.gif to everyone for sharing your pictures - this post is not intended to discourage anyone from doing so. However, keep in mind that attachments take up storage space on the server and we could eventually run out of space without any restrictions. So what can you do to help? Before attaching an image to your post, please adhere to the following guidelines: 1) Resize your picture to no larger than 800x600 pixels (640x480 recommended). If you are attaching a panorama, feel free to attach a wider picture, but please use judgement and don't attach a picture any larger than it needs to be. 2) Save with appropriate JPEG compression. This is very important and likely your problem. If your picture is a JPG, please save it with medium (60-80%) jpeg quality (setting 3-6 in photoshop). This will drastically reduce the file size with minimal (if any) visible degredation in image quality. At 640x480 this should reduce the filesize to around 75-150 KB depending on the amount of detail in the picture. If your image is a Topo! map, use a lower jpeg quality setting when exporting the map to disk (alternatively, consider uploading a .tpo or .tpg file). If your map does not have a special route drawn on it, please see item 3 below. 3) If the picture is already on the net, please do NOT attach the image. Use the IMG tag to embed the picture in your post or link to the picture instead. If you are attaching a USGS topo, please go here or here and link to it instead of attaching it. 4) Have you attached the picture previously? If so, click on the "pics" link at the top of the page, do a search on your attachments, and link to the picture instead of attaching it again. 5) Do you have your own webspace or picture site? If so, please consider hosting the picture on your own site and linking to it. If your total attachments exceed 20 MB, we will ask you to get your own webspace. 7) You can always delete / modify attachments by editing your post (you do NOT need to delete your post to do this). You may wish to do some cleanup at some point, but please don't delete those "classic" pictures that make the photo gallery a great place to visit. If you want to delete a picture but it would disrupt the flow of the topic, please consider replacing it with a smaller size version instead. To replace an attachment, edit your post, click on the "browse" button to select the new file, then click on the "upload new version" button. EDIT: For deleting in bulk, here is a better option. It will also let you sort by size, etc. Thanks for you consideration, and keep those pictures coming!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostWed Oct 16, 2002 4:31 pm 
Recently I reviewed many of my posts and attachments and found that they had served their purpose and decided to delete about 80 posts and 20 or so attached pics. I tried not to disrupt threads in doing so and really only deleted messages that really added little or nothing or were out of date. I realize this doesn't really make a dent in the bandwidth but I'm hoping it does help a little. Is there some way to make a contribution toward the costs incurred in running this website? I would be more than willing to do something to help ease the load $$wise and maybe some of the other members here would also be willing to pitch in. I'm sure most of us feel that this is one of their favorites and would like to insure that it continues without being a burden on any of those who are providing this service. Just a thought but I'm willing to do my share. agree.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Oct 16, 2002 11:03 pm 
Thanks for the thought, but the site doesn't really cost that much to run. The software is free, and the web space and bandwidth I have laying around anyway for other reasons -- I'd be paying for it whether it got used or not. The domain name is cheap and has already been bought upfront. For the last month, NWHikers.net used up less than 1/4 of my allocated disk space (78Mb of 400Mb), and less than 1/15 of my allocated bandwidth (975Mb of 15Gb). If the site starts exceeding my allowances, then I may ask for handouts, but we're nowhere near that point yet, and I don't see getting there even when (if) I get my photo website updated. tongue.gif Tom might want some compensation for having to keep us all in line, though. dizzy.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 17, 2002 1:11 pm 
Nope, not looking for any handouts either - just asking folks to practice conservation so we don't need to. I'd rather invest a little bit up front educating folks about how they can make that 250K attachment a 50K attachment. Per Michael's statistics, the forum has reached 1/5 of his allocated storage in less than 1 year - most of that is due to attachments. Extrapolate a few years and you'll understand why I'm asking folks to conserve today.
CascadeHiker wrote:
Recently I reviewed many of my posts and attachments and found that they had served their purpose and decided to delete about 80 posts and 20 or so attached pics...
Just to clarify, posts do not take up space (at least not enough worth worrying about). Attachments take up much more space (as indicated by the KB displayed next to the attachment). To free up that space, all you need to do is edit the post and delete the attachment. However, per the revised guidelines above, please consider replacing the attachement with a smaller version in lieu of deleting it (to minimize thread disruption).

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jun 29, 2004 12:13 am 
Should we be deleting then?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jun 29, 2004 12:31 am 
Naw, but everyone, please make sure you save with appropriate jpeg quality, don't upload the same picture twice, don't attach non-hiking related stuff, i.e. political cartoons or pictures on the web you can link to, use your own webspace if you have it, etc.