Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suggestions needed - heading out by Barlow pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostWed Aug 10, 2005 1:59 pm 
We're going camping with some friends out by Granite Falls this weekend, and I'm hoping the BF and I can get out for a hike. I know about goat flats, poodle dog, and gothic basin, and may pick one of those. Already did Walt Bailey this year, so that's out. I'm hoping someone might have another suggestion - one that I've overlooked or one off the beaten track a little (yes, I know it's the weekend - I'm not expecting total solitude). Max miles - about 12 RT Max elevation gain - 2500'-3000' Thanks in advance!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostWed Aug 10, 2005 2:16 pm 
Forgotten Meadows or Glacier Basin are probably two of the best out there

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostWed Aug 10, 2005 2:23 pm 
I know it's just a quickie, but I like the Barlow Pass trail itself....it's opposite (north) of the entrance to the Monte Cristo area. It's a short trail that accesses the old lookout site there....

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostWed Aug 10, 2005 2:24 pm 
Ahah, I'd forgotten about Forgotten....(oh, the irony) I'm not familiar with Glacier. I'll check it out. Thanks for the leads, greatly appreciated! I was hoping to check out Yellow Aster this weekend, but we decided to join our friends so we'll have to save that one for a couple of weeks....

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostWed Aug 10, 2005 2:25 pm 
Lookout Bob wrote:
I know it's just a quickie, but I like the Barlow Pass trail itself....it's opposite (north) of the entrance to the Monte Cristo area. It's a short trail that accesses the old lookout site there....
Cool - we'll be out thre fri-sunday, maybe I'll check that one out as a quickie for Sun before we come back....

cheakamus

cheakamus
PostWed Aug 10, 2005 4:08 pm 
Stillaguamish will be less populated than Mt. Forgotten--same trail; turn left instead of right at the meadows. Bonus: South Lake, accessible from the ridge about halfway to Stillaguamish.

wbs

wbs
PostWed Aug 10, 2005 8:08 pm 
When I used to live in Snohomish Co., Mt. Loop around Barlow was my quick "go to" for dayhikes. I hate to admit it, but don't overlook Mt. Dickerman for a trail to the top sort of mountain. Sure, it's populated as ever on a weekend, but if you go late afternoon nice views if its a clear day and sit on top for the sunset, hike down by headlamp up.gif Overcast days - Silver and/or Twin Lakes up from Monte Cristo is nice also. EDIT: huckleberry patches should be getting close up there now also smile.gif

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostThu Aug 11, 2005 9:06 am 
Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. Unfortunately I'll have to file them away for next month (I want to camp out by monte cristo in sept. or oct.). The couple we will be hiking with don't want to gain as much elevation as I thought they'd be willing to do. Perhaps not quite as long, either. So instead, I started trying to come up with alternates. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we did Walt Bailey earlier this summer. But here's the catch - we only made it to the big meadows and stream. The lakes were too far for the BF at that time - a couple more hikes later, he's ready for (nearly) anything - he lapped me on the last hike, that's for sure. I have an old copy of "best hikes for children", yadda yadda. I noticed mention of a trail that leads from Bald Mt TR to the Cutthroats. Says it's 7m RT, EG of 1500 - basically perfect for our hiking group. Trouble is, I can't find much mention of it. I'm curious - anyone know anything?

WTM

WTM
PostThu Aug 11, 2005 9:19 am 
Its been a long time since I've been there, but I remember the Ashland Lakes Trail as having almost no elevation gain. Nice boardwalks and several lakes. Its on the Mountain Loop - starts somewhere near the Lk 22 trail and the lakes have places to camp.

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostThu Aug 11, 2005 10:40 am 
That sound good, WTM. Especially since we can head over to Boardman after, them maybe try a little BWing to Island. Good call.

trillium troll

trillium troll
PostThu Aug 11, 2005 10:15 pm 
the first half of perry creek is mellow and very pretty. starts climbing after a nice rest stop at the water...

wbs

wbs
PostFri Aug 12, 2005 12:22 am 
Quote:
Its on the Mountain Loop - starts somewhere near the Lk 22 trail and the lakes have places to camp.
In ref to Twin Falls via Ashland Lks. FS#4020, see GT # 110, Silverton That's a good suggestion for a short hike / camp. Minimal el. gain, falls empty into lake below (picture a hawaii type lake transplanted in the un-tropic Northwest smile.gif

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostFri Aug 12, 2005 8:35 am 
Another up.gif for Twin Falls Lake. An easy walk through some nice forest, with a beautiful, albeit tiny, lake at the end. The waterfall coming out of the lake is much taller but not easy to get a good look at.

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf