Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bacon to Blum and Places In-between
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 8:21 pm 
Day 0: Left home around 2 PM and picked up permits at the Sedro Woolley ranger station before it closed at 4:30. Dinner at DQ. Dropped Ed's truck at the Baker Lake trailhead, and car camped just before the Watson Lakes trailhead. Had a nice campfire while watching shooting stars. Day 1: Mike and I were roused by Ed at 8 AM who had been awake for a couple hours. After a very sluggish gear consolidation and packing session, we were finally on the trail by 10 AM. Headed cross country to Upper Anderson, then around Mt Watson, wowed by the slabs and many pools and lakes left by the receding glacier. After many picture breaks we finally reached the pass above Diobsud Lakes. While descending the steep and somewhat exposed gully to the lakes, Ed sprained his ankle quite badly. Upon reaching the uppermost lake, Mike's hamburger feet (pre-tenderized from an earlier week long trip) also needed relief, so we stopped here at around 4 PM and set up camp. The Diobsuds are nothing to write home about, but fortunately the bugs were not bad... until the next morning. Day 2: Awoke to lots of dew and condensation. After an hour or so of drying out in the sun, we were finally packed and on the way to Bacon Peak. Beckey's directions proved quite confusing (other than the bit about brushy ramps). The black flies multiplied exponentially as we traversed the brush in the hot morning sun, making things quite unpleasant. Upon reaching the creek we gave up on Beckey's directions and headed for the small tarns. Upon reaching the lower tarn, Mike evaluated his hamburger feet and reluctantly concluded he could not continue and would have to bail. After divvying gear, Ed and I said goodbye to Mike and continued steeply up to Bacon Peak, reaching the summit a little after 7 PM. A glance at the soggy summit register indicated we were the first to open it this year (although the last entry was undated). After leaving the register under a tin can to dry out overnight, we found a nice flat spot to camp just beneath the summit, thankful we would not have to sleep on a bed of cold snow. Day 3: Hastily awakened by Ed at 7 AM who indicated snow was quickly turning to slush and recommended we get going down the glacier as soon as possible. His morning recon indicated only one feasible route that might avoid significant crevasse exposure. After packing quickly we started to head down. It dawned on us that we not only forgot to sign the register but also left it out to dry. Ed offered to go back and take care of business while I snapped a few pictures. While waiting for Ed to return I noted another possible route zagging through a gully up the wall directly north. I convinced Ed to take a gamble on this route and in hindsight it may have been the only feasible route down. Crampons were still a must as some sections were quite icy, but we were able to maintain a safe distance from any visible crevasses. After a long descent, many oohs, aahs, and camera clicks we reached the meadows above Green Lake, and were rudely greeted by the swarms of black flies. Instead of dropping to the lake we decided to traverse high which would afford better picture taking opportunities. We gorged on blueberries while swatting flies, snapping pictures, and panting in sweltering heat while huffing up and down the bumps above the lake. We continued on to Nert Lake, reaching the shores by 4 PM. Exhausted from the heat, we decided to drop pack here, take a swim, and hike to the bump above the lake (hoping for views but were most disappointed). It was getting too late to continue on so we set up camp and cooked dinner, swarmed by flies. To escape the onslaught we inflated rafts and ate dinner afloat in the middle of the lake. Day 4: After letting things air out in the morning, we packed up and headed to Berdeen. In hindsight we probably could have made it to the large meadows below Berdeen the previous night, but noting evidence of "large" bear scat, perhaps it was better we didn't. Before the steep vegetable belay up to Berdeen we ate lunch and peeked around the corner to Lower Berdeen. It is hard to describe the feeling of standing on the shores of Berdeen, other than to say it evoked emotions deep from within. We were glad we brought rafts as the shoreline is more difficult to navigate than it would appear from photos. After a leisurely raft to the inlet we continued on to the upper lake and then the glacier that would be our exit route. Looking up to the crumbling glacier we had significant concerns about whether the route out was feasible. The only possible way seemed to be to traverse the northern edge strewn with refrigerator boulders and frequent rockfall. Sunlight was fading quickly and Ed suggested heading back to Berdeen to camp but I was concerned we would not be able to get out the next day unless we pushed on. After debating the pros and cons, we donned crampons and ice axes and briskly headed up the icy glacier, getting past the rockfall just in time to hear a fresh release come down. eek.gif Upon reaching our exit point, we breathed a huge sigh of relief and exchanged high fives. We continued on toward the summit of Blum and were relieved to find a nice flat spot to camp high on the ridge south of Blum. After feasting on our last dinner, we were enticed by a phenomenal sunset, northern lights, and the twinkle of distant city lights, staying up quite late. Day 5: We awoke relatively early with plans to summit Blum. It wasn't clear whether the ridge route from camp was feasible, so we opted to play it safe and descend to 5748'. From here we would dayhike the summit via Beckey's proven route. On the descent to 5748' we encountered some significant exposure and got cliffed out. On top of this, we experienced an hour of separation due to a mis-communication, and we each began to worry the other had fallen off a cliff trying to find a way down. In reality, we were not far from each other, but the cliffs were drowning out our calls. After finally hooking back up, Ed indicated he had found a way down. After reaching 5748' our desire to bag the summit waned. Throughout this trip it seemed every time we thought the worst was behind us, an even greater challenge would arise, and neither of us were in the mood for rolling the dice again after the harrowing separation. We decided to take it easy for the rest of the trip, not push our limits, and get home at a reasonable hour. After all, we would need something to look forward to next time... As usual, I took too many pictures to cull to a reasonable number. doof.gif
Ed Along Watson Lake Trail
Ed Along Watson Lake Trail
Watson Lakes From Above
Watson Lakes From Above
Upper Anderson Outlet
Upper Anderson Outlet
Upper Anderson Lake
Upper Anderson Lake
Upper Watson From Above
Upper Watson From Above
Pools along Watson Traverse
Pools along Watson Traverse
Red Algae Tarn Along Watson Traverse
Red Algae Tarn Along Watson Traverse
Looking Up To Mt Watson
Looking Up To Mt Watson
Ed and Bacon Peak
Ed and Bacon Peak
Glacial Tarn Outlet on Mt Watson
Glacial Tarn Outlet on Mt Watson
Small Glacial Tarn on Mt Watson
Small Glacial Tarn on Mt Watson
Larger Tarn & Elementary Peak
Larger Tarn & Elementary Peak
Ice on Large Glacial Tarn
Ice on Large Glacial Tarn
Another Glacial Tarn on Watson
Another Glacial Tarn on Watson
Waterfall Coming Down Bacon Peak
Waterfall Coming Down Bacon Peak
4478' Diobsud Lake
4478' Diobsud Lake
4439' Diobsud Lake
4439' Diobsud Lake
5430' Tarns Below Bacon Peak
5430' Tarns Below Bacon Peak
Looking Down to Lower Diobsuds
Looking Down to Lower Diobsuds
Unmapped Lakes at 5240' on Bacon
Unmapped Lakes at 5240' on Bacon
Electric Butte And Another Unmapped Lake
Electric Butte And Another Unmapped Lake
Pickets Behind Canadian Bacon (all red meat)
Pickets Behind Canadian Bacon (all red meat)
Shuksan Enroute To Bacon
Shuksan Enroute To Bacon
Ed Traversing Below False Summit
Ed Traversing Below False Summit
360 Panorama From Bacon Peak
360 Panorama From Bacon Peak
Snowking and Glacier Peak From Bacon
Snowking and Glacier Peak From Bacon
Shuksan and Eventual Route Down Up Gap
Shuksan and Eventual Route Down Up Gap
Swiss Cheeze Glacier
Swiss Cheeze Glacier
Berdeen and Pickets
Berdeen and Pickets
Ed Descending Bacon
Ed Descending Bacon
Looking Back to Route Down
Looking Back to Route Down
Baker from Bacon
Baker from Bacon
Green, Berdeen, and Pickets
Green, Berdeen, and Pickets
Glacial Tarns at 5700'
Glacial Tarns at 5700'
More Green, Berdeen, and Pickets
More Green, Berdeen, and Pickets
Green Lake
Green Lake
Green and Bacon Laken
Green and Bacon Laken
Waterfalls into Green
Waterfalls into Green
Green Lake Pano
Green Lake Pano
Waterfalls Below Berdeen
Waterfalls Below Berdeen
Nert Lake (4556':)
Nert Lake (4556')
Lake 5354'
Lake 5354'
Green Eggs and Bacon
Green Eggs and Bacon
Ed and Green Lake Outlet
Ed and Green Lake Outlet
Meadow Below Berdeen
Meadow Below Berdeen
Pools Below Berdeen Outlet
Pools Below Berdeen Outlet
Outfall into Lower Berdeen
Outfall into Lower Berdeen
Outfall to Lower Berdeen
Outfall to Lower Berdeen
Lower Berdeen
Lower Berdeen
Waterfall Outlet From Berdeen
Waterfall Outlet From Berdeen
Approaching Berdeen
Approaching Berdeen
Berdeen Pano From Shore
Berdeen Pano From Shore
Ed Rafting Berdeen
Ed Rafting Berdeen
Hagen, Lonely Peak, and Native Knoll From Raft
Hagen, Lonely Peak, and Native Knoll From Raft
Berdeen From Inlet
Berdeen From Inlet
Upper Berdeen and Lonesome Peak
Upper Berdeen and Lonesome Peak
Meadows Above Berdeen
Meadows Above Berdeen
Berdeen Lake and Interloper Peak
Berdeen Lake and Interloper Peak
Native Knoll, Interloper Peak, and Berdeen Lakes
Native Knoll, Interloper Peak, and Berdeen Lakes
Rockfall On Glacier Route Out
Rockfall On Glacier Route Out
Berdeen From Ridge to Blum
Berdeen From Ridge to Blum
Hagen At Sunset
Hagen At Sunset
5748' Blum From Above
5748' Blum From Above
Approaching 5748' Blum
Approaching 5748' Blum
5748' Blum From Outlet
5748' Blum From Outlet
Outlet from 5748' Blum
Outlet from 5748' Blum
Blum Lake From Above
Blum Lake From Above
Blum Lake From Outlet
Blum Lake From Outlet
Lower Blum Lake
Lower Blum Lake
Baker Lake From Above
Baker Lake From Above

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 8:27 pm 
up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif biggrin.gif very nice job guys up.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 8:33 pm 
Here's a few action shots complements of Ed. I'm sure he has a few more goodies.
Looking to Avoid Crevasses
Looking to Avoid Crevasses
Clamps and Ice Axe
Clamps and Ice Axe
Looking Across to Baker
Looking Across to Baker
Rafting Berdeen
Rafting Berdeen
Safely Above Hagan Glacier, Phew!
Safely Above Hagan Glacier, Phew!

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 8:54 pm 
Yep. Terrible place. Never go there. BTW - Tom, you make it look pretty appealing. Little do they know the horror that awaits. smile.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Trevor

Trevor
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 8:58 pm 
I was truly anticipating this tr, thanks. A lakebagger's utopia.

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 9:07 pm 
I knew this was going to happen sooner or later, I'm having a sensory system overload and it's all your fault Tom. Your lack of compassion in posting so many incredible shots at once has sent me over the top. I will probably never recover unless I experience that same trip myself. I tip my hat to you guys, that will probably go down as the best 5 day trip of this year. Its got my vote. If there's a better one bring it on and we will see. BTW, I think there might be a 12 step program for people that have a compulsive picture posting disorder. I'd google it if I were you.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 9:13 pm 
up.gif up.gif . Terrific and inspiring ! hockeygrin.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 9:17 pm 
Quote:
Tom, you make it look pretty appealing. Little do they know the horror that awaits.
Appealing yes, but natural barriers aplenty. I don't know how many times I recited the 23rd Psalm on this trip but every time we thought we had it made we'd turn the corner and the next obstacle would await, whether it be a loose rock gully, a crevase minefield, an exposed cliff that doesn't show on the topo, an icy glacier strewn with refrigerator size boulders, a flagged boot path that vanishes abruptly in steep forest - and did I mention the black flies, the large bear scat, the absence of trees to hang food, ... paranoid.gif

Kimmy

Kimmy
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 9:36 pm 
Incredible pictures.... and I was just about to give up hiking! I want to see Berdeen! Thanks for sharing , fantastic pics!

Kimmy
Don

Don
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 9:46 pm 
Tom wrote:
I took too many pictures to cull to a reasonable number. doof.gif
I am quite certain that you have proven otherwise! Fantastic job! agree.gif

Edd

Edd
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 10:09 pm 
Damn, nice pics Tom. Mine don't quite compare. Still don't quite have the eye for detail or composure. Learning though. Might take me awhile but I think I might be able to find one or two that you didn"t get. winksmile.gif Had a great time though, along with a few anxious moments that only made the trip more memorable. Edit. Here are some pics, not nescesarially in any order.
shuksan
shuksan
sunset from bacon
sunset from bacon
Tom skirting glacier on bacon
Tom skirting glacier on bacon
outlet from bacon laken
outlet from bacon laken
Baker close up
Baker close up
glacial terminus
glacial terminus
baker sunrise
baker sunrise
green
green
berdeen
berdeen
the wall
the wall
bacon and green
bacon and green
silt contributor
silt contributor

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 10:33 pm 
Kimmy wrote:
Incredible pictures....I want to see Berdeen!
Note that with Tom's generous delivery, you've seen more of Berdeen than most people ever have and/or ever will. wink.gif I started out on this trip with Tom and EDD and ended up having to turn back in the middle of Day 2 because my feet were still a little on the damaged side and were screaming at me something fierce. It's some incredibly beautiful but terribly rough country and you'd be wise to allot ample time when planning a trip through it. From the Diobsuds, for example, it took the three of us 4 hours to traverse a little over half of a mile, gaining only 200 feet from the second lake. Truly a hellacious traverse (and I got to do it *twice!*)...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 11:36 pm 
Lovely pics. I wouldn't kick Berdeen outta bed or nothin but I reckon ole Green is the purtier of the two at least to my untrained eye. THat lake just looks like an unreal shade of aqua, like one of those black and white movies that Ted Turner had gone back and colorized in an over the top fashion. Lakebagger daydreams on an acid trip or something.

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostSun Aug 14, 2005 11:57 pm 
Very nice.. looks like another place to add to the list. up.gif

Larry

Larry
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 7:47 am 
The mythical and mystical Berdeen. Simply outrageous Tom and Ed. GREAT report.