Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gold Creek, Stupidity, and Bees 08/15/05
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
EdgarDog

EdgarDog
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 6:11 pm 
Well, I went on a hike today that made me want to go back to getting fat and playing video games and letting my daypack rot in the garage. rant.gif I took my two hiking dogs out to Gold Creek to try to get to Alaska Lake because I didn't want to do anything to vertical on a Monday and I thought a nice long flat-ish hike would fit the bill. Well, the hike starts off rather boring, as you spend at least a mile and a half on a sidewalk then a gravel road...needless to say I took numerous pictures of people's cabins...old trucks...and gravel, I cant wait for the 8 by 10's. Anyway, you finally get to the trail and its uneventful...up until you get to the beehive that is ON the trail, which didn't make Edgar all that happy. (the hive is about 1/8 of a mile in front of the left turn to Alaska Lake). So as I went chasing Edgar down the trail to get the bees off him, I go sailing past the Alaska Lake turnoff without noticing...and proceed my adventure unknowingly towards Joe Lake. Well as I was on the Joe Lake trail, I was reminded of a nightmare I used to have about being on an overgrown trail, having no idea where I was, while getting pounded by the sun and stung by hornets...oh wait, tahts what happened...doh! I probably would have made it to Joe lake, but two stings on my leg from friendly hornets and I was discouraged and turned around...of course I saw the Alaska Lake trail on the way back, but neither I nor the dogs had the energy for it. Clearly I am an idiot...I can never seem to find the correct turn offs. At least there were some good things about today, I didnt see anyone else on the trail (probably cause they all know better) and...ummm...there weren't any...sharks...yep...didnt see a single shark all day.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 6:14 pm 
don't give up we all have bad ones. agree.gif your next one will be great! thanks for the tr and the heads up about the bees.

mgd

mgd
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 8:27 pm 
I've had bees up my fleece pants before and it warn't any fun. Still felt like I had them buzzing inside of me an hour later. Good thing you had Edgar along as the decoy. Hope he'll still hike with you next time. lol.gif Were there alot of trees down on the Joe Lake trail. Last time I tried it, it was an impenetrable mess.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostMon Aug 15, 2005 9:44 pm 
EdgarDog wrote:
Well, I went on a hike today that made me want to go back to getting fat and playing video games and letting my daypack rot in the garage. rant.gif
That's not a very healthy way to justify a new daypack. (But it did work pretty well for me, come to think of it.) I'm glad you felt comfortable enough with the group here to vent a little. Stepping through a big rotten log into a bees' nest is a thought my overactive imagination just seems to enjoy to no end. I would not have counted your trip in the W column either.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
EdgarDog

EdgarDog
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 1:27 am 
Thanks for putting up with my rant... Mdg, yeah, the trail to Joe Lake is a mess...I was worrided I wouldnt be able to find the trail on the way back...luckily the dogs were better at finding it than I was. As for Edgar, I am sure he will go with me some more...he got some turkey bacon when he got back and forgot all about his bee stings...I am just more frustrated by my lack of finding the right trail...I have now missed Alaska Lake, Bald Mountain, and Malachite Lake...oh well, rookie mistakes I am sure...I hope. Well, off to bed for me...I need to plan my next misadventure.

Karen

Karen
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 8:40 pm 
Edgar Dog, We went up to Alaska Lake today via the Gold Creek trail and are very thankful for your report on bees. When we got to the bees, we bypassed them after a furtive look into the seething hive, or what was left of it. It looked kind of bashed up but there were still bees hanging around and plenty of them. After we got past the bees without getting stung we noticed that someone (you?) had placed branches a few yards away across the trail so on our way back we placed branches on the trail on the other side of the bees nest. So if anyone reads these reports, they will KNOW that when they see a few small branches laying across the trail, DANGER lies ahead. Once past the junction for Joe/Alaska the route up Alaska is pretty easy to follow, albeit steep, brushy and in places rocky. Haze was bad today and not a good day for photography but it felt good to get up there -- it was my 4th try. Always made the mistake of going too early in the year when we couldn't get across Gold Creek (with cameras) or figure out WHERE to cross Gold Creek. Now, it's pretty obvious where to cross. Joe Lake is on my list. If I get there first, I'll post it. Hope your bee stings are healed and thanks for the heads-up on the bees. We would have walked right into them if not for your post. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
EdgarDog

EdgarDog
PostTue Aug 16, 2005 8:45 pm 
Yay! I am glad that someone made it to Alaska Lake! Yeah, once I got past the bees I put a bunch of sticks in the trail so I would remember where they were on the way back, I also put a bunch of rocks near the Alaska Lake trail so the next person with my trail finding skills would look up the hill and go the right way instead of making the bushwaking adventure to Joe Lake smile.gif My stings are fine, the dog has forgotten all about em..and we are trying to decide where to go next! biggrin.gif